x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Backup from Jornada 720 to 728

suemckoy Page Icon Posted 2005-01-22 10:58 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi All,

I have just done a full backup from my Jornada 720. I'm intending to purchase a 728 to give myself more memory for programs, in the near future. Will my full backup be able to be downloaded onto the 728 with ease?

Thanks,
Cheers,
Sue
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-01-23 8:47 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I dun see much of a problem since both are running HPC2000 (winCE 3.0) ... they differ mostly in terms of hardware from what I know.

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-01-23 9:48 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Welcome to the forum suemckoy.

There are a couple of threads already on the board that cover the (trivial) differences between the 720 and 728. If you wanted a run down on the differences they're worth looking up.

As with Snappy! I shouldn't think that there will be any major problems with the trasnfer. You may wind up with a lot of dud links, and I would personally uninstall any driver software and tweak applications, then recreate the backup file.

You should be aware though that going the other way (728>720) may not be so cut and paste due to the additional RAM.

The good thing about CE is that if it does all go horribly wrong it only takes a few minutes to hard reset.
Worst case you can sync up a lot of the data from the host or Infrared transfer it between the devices.

Please do let us know how you get on with it, I'm intreagued I must say.
 Top of the page
suemckoy Page Icon Posted 2005-01-23 8:23 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks for your advice, good to hear that you don't think it will be much problem. I have purchased a 728 from Canada using ebay and am waiting for the chap to send me the total cost. I've really lashed out buying it and if everything goes ok may end up selling my Jornada 720 to cover some of the cost for the 728. Mind you, it's going to be hard to part with the 720, Chris Tilley gave me a lot of help in getting the faulty one I originally bought replaced.....I was originally told there were none in stock but Chris advised me how to ask for the replacement etc. I'm forever grateful to him.

I think I will do as suggested though and uninstall the drivers and tweak software then do a full backup again in readiness.

I'll let you know the outcome.
Cheers,
Downunder Sue
P.S. I'm sure you can fall in love with these machines, I'm lost without mine and use it constantly. The only problem I have is that it is a little difficult to put in a handbag, but I perservere.
 Top of the page
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2005-01-24 10:56 AM
#
Avatar image of clintonfitchdotcom
H/PC Elite

Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!

Chris is THE MAN!
 Top of the page
suemckoy Page Icon Posted 2005-01-24 5:40 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi Clinton,