x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Tcl/Tk and Starkits

Sch01ar
Sch01ar Page Icon Posted 2006-06-02 11:35 AM
#
I wonder if anyone can help me get Starkit running on (for example) my J720? The reason for this is that I would like to run either wikit or notepad wiki. I am not a complete idiot and have Rainer Keuchel's celib installed, and have managed to test install a couple of different TCL builds on a CF card (I gather that Tcl 8.4.4 is needed for the VFS in order to get StarKit to work) They "work" but I simply cannot fathom out which the reg edits are required to link it all together. All of the Read Me's are for the Deeply Initiated. Any help very gratefully received.

S
 Top of the page
BrianD
BrianD Page Icon Posted 2006-06-06 12:29 PM
#
Sch01ar - 2006-06-02 5:35 PM
I wonder if anyone can help me get Starkit running on (for example) my J720? The reason for this is that I would like to run either wikit or notepad wiki.

As I said in another thread, your post is very interesting. If I understand well, you would like to be able to run a wiki on your PDA, isn't it? For me too, it would be useful to do something similar.
However I have a basic question: what is Starkit???

All of the Read Me's are for the Deeply Initiated. Any help very gratefully received.

I agree **completely** with you. It is a real pity, there is much potential in all that stuff.

By the way: why don't you register here?
 Top of the page
Sch01ar Page Icon Posted 2006-06-06 3:23 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

(See - I *do* have a login - I can never normally be bothered to type it ;0)

1. Starkits are self contained "wrappers" for Tcl/Tk applications - (see here http://www.equi4.com/starkit.html. ) They all have the file extension, .kit.
2. There are two fantastic wiki apps available as starkits - wikit and notebook wiki. If you install Tcl/Tk / Tclkit on your desktop you can run them and see.
3. There is a version of Starkit which runs on Wince machines; so wikit and notebookwiki should also run. (This version can be found here http://www.equi4.com/pub/sk/starkit.tar.gz)
4. You also need the latest Tcl / TK build underneath (Rainer's doesn't have the virtual file system, apparently) from SourceForge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/tcltkce)
I can get a window up, but that's it. I have no idea of the reg edits needed to make it work, or how to start the software. After several days of of flying blind I gave up frustrated. When you can't get any feedback it's just hours down the drain.

It's a shame there's no wiki apps for the hpc; quite amazing when you think of the screen and keyboard. There are several for Palm, including one excellent one, Notestudio, which has a desktop version as well.
 Top of the page
BrianD
BrianD Page Icon Posted 2006-06-06 3:52 PM
#
Sch01ar - 2006-06-06 9:23 PM
1. Starkits are self contained "wrappers" for Tcl/Tk applications - (see here http://www.equi4.com/starkit.html. ) They all have the file extension, .kit.

Mmmhhh... "the illusion of a file system in a file", "on the outside, it's a single file, yet the application code continues to see a complete directory of scripts, extensions, packages, images, and whatever"... where did you already heard that, Steve?

2. There are two fantastic wiki apps available as starkits - wikit and notebook wiki. If you install Tcl/Tk / Tclkit on your desktop you can run them and see.

Notebook is already packaged for Mac OS X. Good, much less hassle. It should be easy to test it, as soon as I have some time. Funny that it uses MediaWiki for the site!

3. There is a version of Starkit which runs on Wince machines; so wikit and notebookwiki should also run. (This version can be found here http://www.equi4.com/pub/sk/starkit.tar.gz)
4. You also need the latest Tcl / TK build underneath (Rainer's doesn't have the virtual file system, apparently) from SourceForge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/tcltkce)

Very interesting info. I was considering to install Tcl/Tk on my HPC. Now I have more reasons to do that.

I can get a window up, but that's it. I have no idea of the reg edits needed to make it work, or how to start the software. After several days of of flying blind I gave up frustrated. When you can't get any feedback it's just hours down the drain.

I can understand you. It seems my story with Maxx. No info anywhere. No users. No feedback from Rainer K. And the sources... Windows programming is... well, I stop here, I don't want to start a flame war here

It's a shame there's no wiki apps for the hpc; quite amazing when you think of the screen and keyboard. There are several for Palm, including one excellent one, Notestudio, which has a desktop version as well.

Well, the HPC platform is starving, in my opinion. A real pity. What about PPC?
 Top of the page
Sch01ar Page Icon Posted 2006-06-06 4:01 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

There are no wikis for PPC either, but there are more advanced conversions of python, which do allow the desktop, standalone version of moin moin to run on the WM 2003. Good luck with the Tcl/Tk installation - please let me know how you get on. It's all too Kafka for me; I'm giving up for now. I'm going to email Notestudio and ask for a wince version.
S
 Top of the page
BrianD
BrianD Page Icon Posted 2006-06-06 6:35 PM
#
3. There is a version of Starkit which runs on Wince machines...
4. You also need the latest Tcl / TK build underneath from SourceForge ...
I can get a window up, but that's it. I have no idea of the reg edits needed to make it work, or how to start the software.

When do you get only a window up? Running Tcl/Tk from SF or Starkit?
 Top of the page
Sch01ar
Sch01ar Page Icon Posted 2006-06-07 12:09 PM
#
Yes - I can get Tcl working (the two programs in the distribution, one of which launches a "type-able" window, the other a blank one) but if I try to launch starkit it scrolls up error messages which are too fast for me to read. :0(
 Top of the page
BrianD
BrianD Page Icon Posted 2006-06-12 8:35 AM
#
BrianD - 2006-06-06 9:52 PM

Notebook is already packaged for Mac OS X. Good, much less hassle. It should be easy to test it, as soon as I have some time.

I haven't had time to install Tcl/Tk on my MP790, yet (I spent a lot of time last two days trying to correct a problem of communication between my network card and ActiveSync... ...more on another thread, maybe), but I DID have time to test Notebook Wiki on my iMac G5.

A very nice application, I agree, very simple to use and useful to keep a log of what I do, of ideas, of article drafts, etc., but with a very bad flaw: it is painfully sloooow on my iMac, much slower that MacJournal that I currently use.
And I fear it would be nearly unusable on a PDA or on a HPC.

What about performance on your system?
 Top of the page
Sch01ar
Sch01ar Page Icon Posted 2006-06-12 4:13 PM
#
No problems with speed here, and I'm using a Toshiba Satellite with XP; so old I don't even know what it's stats are. Mind you, I do have every kind of frippery (sliding menus, transparency etc) turned off. (Both my desktop and my HPCs converge towards a kind of Windows 3.1 look - the Golden Era)
 Top of the page
BrianD
BrianD Page Icon Posted 2006-06-12 6:14 PM
#
Sch01ar - 2006-06-12 10:13 PM

No problems with speed here, and I'm using a Toshiba Satellite with XP; so old I don't even know what it's stats are. Mind you, I do have every kind of frippery (sliding menus, transparency etc) turned off. (Both my desktop and my HPCs converge towards a kind of Windows 3.1 look - the Golden Era)

Well, I admit I have been way too exagerated in my post. Notebook is not really slow on my G5, it is just slower than native MacJournal (the best journaling app I know of on the Mac!) and that has made me wonder how it could run on a HPC.

Anyway, if you are interested in a wiki/journal app on Windows CE, stay tuned, I might have results soon

I do agree on Win 3.1, the first & last Windows OS I really liked (3.0 was too instable ) : fast, without fuss, with a nice yet simple UI, with a very good preference system (similar to my belowed Unix), still without the dreaded registry ( ).
Well, a long list. Still having one copy happily running on a 70 k€ alphastep we have in one of our labs!
 Top of the page
Guest Page Icon Posted 2006-06-13 4:02 PM
#
BrianD - 2006-06-12 6:14 PM

Anyway, if you are interested in a wiki/journal app on Windows CE, stay tuned, I might have results soon

I'm tuned, I'm tuned!
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-06-13 4:32 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

I am sure that there is a way to export the output of a program to a txt file, if you run it from the command line in CE. Something like...

startkit > test.txt

??
 Top of the page
BrianD
BrianD Page Icon Posted 2006-06-13 4:53 PM
#
ProgramSynthesiser - 2006-06-13 10:32 PM

I am sure that there is a way to export the output of a program to a txt file, if you run it from the command line in CE. Something like...

startkit > test.txt

??

Good idea but, as far as I know, there is no redirection or piping (nor tee-ing, of course) in Reiner Keuchel's Console application. No idea about other console apps (if they exist).

Unfortunately I am not at home and I cannot test it, at the moment.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 59 - Executed queries : 10