x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Does Handheld PC 2000 support WPA?

Tino
Tino Page Icon Posted 2005-01-24 6:31 AM
#
Hi.

I'm running a wirless network at work based on WPA and a Radius server (windows 2003)

My boss has a HP jornada 728 running Handheld PC2000 and I've tried a Cisco 350 card in it but couldn't get WPA support active.

Does the OS itself (HPC2000) support WPA or does it lack this feature? Can it be added with a 3rd party software update and if so what wirless CF or PCMCIA cards does it support?

Thanks in advance

Tino
 Top of the page
Tino
Tino Page Icon Posted 2005-01-24 6:33 AM
#
one more thing....the network is running at 54Mbps too
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-01-24 7:55 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Tino,

Wow, high-brow. A RADIUS server. We don't get such talk around here all that often.

To the best of my understanding while WEP is a technology that depends on the driver rather than the OS, WPA depends on capabilities within the OS. Windows CE3 (HPC2000) itself does not support it at the platform or OS level - it is a 1999 OS over the fairly recent WPA specification.

The Jornada 728 has no OS upgrade potential as it has a non-flashable ROM chip. For WPA support you need a 4.2 or 5.0 OS version.
The best you can achieve is a 128-bit WEP connection between it and the base station.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-01-25 12:36 AM
#
H/PC Elder

<p>Actually, since we're in the topic...</p><p>What do you have to do to get WPA even in a 4.2?  As far as I know, even among PocketPCs, there aren't many that support it.  I think hp has an update for the iPAQ 2210, but what about others?</p><p>Any more info on this?</p>
 Top of the page
Tino
Tino Page Icon Posted 2005-01-25 4:18 AM
#
C:Amie - 2005-01-24 7:55 AM

Tino,

Wow, high-brow. A RADIUS server. We don't get such talk around here all that often.

To the best of my understanding while WEP is a technology that depends on the driver rather than the OS, WPA depends on capabilities within the OS. Windows CE3 (HPC2000) itself does not support it at the platform or OS level - it is a 1999 OS over the fairly recent WPA specification.

The Jornada 728 has no OS upgrade potential as it has a non-flashable ROM chip. For WPA support you need a 4.2 or 5.0 OS version.
The best you can achieve is a 128-bit WEP connection between it and the base station.

Thanks for the reply.

I thought as much.

The boss likes the clamshell design of the Jornada, and the Mobile Pro 900 series from NEC looked promising (it runs CE.NET 4.2). I can't find it in the UK though and by the looks of it its pricey anyway

We'll have to try a new IPAQ with an external foldable keyboard I guess.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-01-25 8:49 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Tino! No! I cannot allow any forum user to go over to the dark side of Pocket PC. How will I sleep tonight knowing this!

Have a look down the front page news thread here on Factor, there is a link to a stock available, UK supplier of the 900C running CE4.2. It is pricey yes, but has come down a little bit (and they're imports).

In answer to the above question. The Socket Low Power WL600x (new version) supports WPA under Windows Mobile. While socket do not have a CE4.2 core dirver avaialble for direct, they are often open to providing beta versions to they who ask if they currently happen to be working on one.
 Top of the page
Tino
Tino Page Icon Posted 2005-01-25 11:27 AM
#
Thanks for that info.

Its gone up in price by the way !!!

I'll sound out the boss and see if he is willing to splash out.

Lets face it though....the clamshell HPC is a dying breed sadly....
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-01-25 11:53 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Be sure that you can find a NIC with the appropreate WPA drivers before you splurge as well.

The true Clamshell is on hard times at the present time. It seems to be an era of Tablet PC's currently - just a glorified Piddle PC a cynic might say...

Everyone has source problems for NEC MobilePro hardware. I'm starting to think that they are strangling the market through some warped sense of holding the price up. The logic being if we don't give them to the redistributors, they can't mark them down - and we can't be expected to.

Good luck
 Top of the page
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2005-01-26 8:27 AM
#
Avatar image of clintonfitchdotcom
H/PC Elite

takwu - 2005-01-24 11:36 PM

Actually, since we're in the topic...

What do you have to do to get WPA even in a 4.2?  As far as I know, even among PocketPCs, there aren't many that support it.  I think hp has an update for the iPAQ 2210, but what about others?

Any more info on this?

You are correct in that there are not many who support WPA on the P/PC side of the lawn. It is OS dependent and the P/PC world should know already that OEMs rarely offer any system/OS upgrades to these devices.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 8