x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

NEC 750C INTERNET CONNECTION

bob5110
bob5110 Page Icon Posted 2006-06-09 12:38 PM
#
HI--I CANT FIGURE OUT HOW TO SETUP MY NEC MOBILE PRO 750C SO I CAN GET ON THE INTERNET TO GET MAIL. I HAVE CABLE INTERNET FOR MY MAIN COMPUTER. I NEED HELP PLEASE THANKS BOB
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-06-09 1:21 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

If your main computer connects to the internet via an ethernet cable, then you should get an ethernet PCMCIA card or even CF, if your MobilePro has a CF slot... Check the Hardware compatibility list for compatible cards...

Edited by tenjeangosi 2006-06-09 1:23 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-06-09 2:18 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I don't know if you are familiar with the term "netiquette", if not please google it. Posts in capitals are considered anti-social, and deemed as a user 'shouting'. You will find that a lot of forum users are turned off from the idea of assisting you because of these very old and deep-routed rules.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-06-09 3:39 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Bob, on your main computer with the cable internet, do you have a router or only the cable modem? Do you have wireless capability, that is do you have a wireless modem. If you don't have either and only have the cable modem, then you need to consider getting a wireless router. They are pretty cheap and easy to install. About $30 is all brand new, and cheaper used.

For instance, on eBay, auction 9739120884 is for a Netgear RP614. A great wireless router used with your modem. That will broadcast your internet throughout your house just fine. Then you have to get a wireless card for your 750C. Something like this auction: 9736811410. Figure $25 is about an average price for a wifi card for these handhelds.

SHOUT TIME: CHECK THE HCL! From the main page of this site is the HCL, the hardware compatiblity list...go there and check the wireless cards that are compatible with Windows CE 2.0 and then find one somewhere (probably eBay) and get it. That's all there is to it.

You could go the wired route, but I think that most people would tell you they prefer the wireless route for public hotspots and less clutter.

Rich
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-06-09 4:12 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

alot more cards are compatible than the two or three listed in the HCL
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-06-09 4:20 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Well don't forget to submit them then
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-06-09 5:50 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

But remember Monica, Chris only wants those with real drivers and such, none of your modified screwball only works on Tuesday hacks....

Rich
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-06-09 6:30 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

none of the hacks worked so far on ce 2.0. i just mean buying a plain prism card and installing the ce 2.0 native hpc reference driver for it. that can be put in the HCL, see my wlan card in there (senao SL2511CF)

Edited by cmonex 2006-06-09 6:31 PM
 Top of the page
bob5110
bob5110 Page Icon Posted 2006-06-10 9:36 AM
#
Hi---Thanks for your repley i am 67 years old and i guess it hard for me to figure things out. i have a new wireless router in the box but scared to hook it up as i usually have promblems. But i did put a pcmcia card in and plugged in cable in and it worked but i think it is missing sync software or something. I am on aol due i need an extra service to link to. I guess when you get old things get harder to understand. Thanks for your repley . Bob
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-06-10 9:58 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The H/PC wont be missing sync software, your desktop PC on the other hand might be. You want to head into the Sync Soft Section under Support and grab ActiveSync 3.8 if you haven't got it already. There are some good how-to's in the support section on the basics of using your device a-la network, and other goodies.

You will need to serial sync your device before you can LAN sync it though.

I didn't realise that AOL were a cable provider in the US of A. So long as you have it going into a router, rathey than directly into a PC you should have no trouble getting the device onto the Internet.

I wouldn't worry about experimenting with the wireless either. Just take it step by step, ignore security to start with (until you get it working).
Remember that for a H/PC with wireless you need it to be in 802.11b or 802.11b/g mode (not plain 802.11g), you must use WEP 64 or 128 (when you get to security) not WPA / WPA PSK
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 8