x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Porting PPC apps

tundrwd Page Icon Posted 2006-06-14 9:41 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Could someone create a quick guide/tutorial on porting PPC apps to HPC/Pro?

I see info, but it's scattered over several threads, and over many replies to same or other threads. Something along the lines of:

1. Where are the "extra" DLLs?
2. Where to install DLLs (same dir as app, or in \Windows, etc.)
3. What strings to search for and what the replacement value is when hexediting (I'd like an explanation of what it is that's being changed, so I can feel comfortable I'm changing the right thing).
4. Other utilities, apps, etc. that assist in getting these programs over.

I've got LOTS of PPC apps for my Ipaq, many have a MIPS CAB file, that could be ported over. Even a nice mapping program that supports GPS. (I've connected my Garmin GPS to my MBPro 800 and communicated with it via GarmapCE - so I know the concept should work for anything that communicates via serial, or can be used serial-usb. Maybe even the usb-serial 232 drivers for MIPS would work).

Anyway, I'd like to start seeing what I can assist porting over, but I think it would be helpful to have one consolidated "sticky" article that could be added to over time to assist myself and others in porting apps.

Thanks.
 Top of the page
vintagehandhelds Page Icon Posted 2006-06-14 10:35 AM
#
Avatar image of vintagehandhelds
H/PC Philosopher

that'd be helpful indeed. I second.

Top of the page
jmztaylor Page Icon Posted 2006-07-03 10:25 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Well basically on cmonex's site you can find the dlls and exe check that you need. You kinda need to know a little bit about hexediting and such sometimes. On my site at http://forum.taylorhomeonline.com you can find some guides to install some games and programs you need. The site is still under construction but would be a place to start writing guides to what you did to get your games working.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-07-03 10:59 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

tundrwd - 2006-06-14 3:41 PM

Could someone create a quick guide/tutorial on porting PPC apps to HPC/Pro?

I see info, but it's scattered over several threads, and over many replies to same or other threads. Something along the lines of:

1. Where are the "extra" DLLs?
2. Where to install DLLs (same dir as app, or in \Windows, etc.)
3. What strings to search for and what the replacement value is when hexediting (I'd like an explanation of what it is that's being changed, so I can feel comfortable I'm changing the right thing).
4. Other utilities, apps, etc. that assist in getting these programs over.

I've got LOTS of PPC apps for my Ipaq, many have a MIPS CAB file, that could be ported over. Even a nice mapping program that supports GPS. (I've connected my Garmin GPS to my MBPro 800 and communicated with it via GarmapCE - so I know the concept should work for anything that communicates via serial, or can be used serial-usb. Maybe even the usb-serial 232 drivers for MIPS would work).

Anyway, I'd like to start seeing what I can assist porting over, but I think it would be helpful to have one consolidated "sticky" article that could be added to over time to assist myself and others in porting apps.

Thanks.

1) my site... (not linked on its main page yet should do it now let me know if you can't find the link on the forum)
2) anywhere but i generally recommend app dir... as that avoids some of the possible conflicts (but only proper hexediting will avoid ALL of them)
3) now now why didn't i finish the tutorial yet. anyway on hpc pro no strings to search for (didn't see any yet). that is mainly ce.net and sometimes hpc2000. all the hexedit you need to do is OS version rewriting and execheck will do it for you on the device itself... maybe sometimes you can hexedit the app to call another dll name. as easy as rewriting a word in a word processor
4) execheck (get the executabilitycheck200.exe from that mips211.zip), and there was another cool thing (execheck on hpc pro will not show some of the dlls when pressing rewrite dll name) that shows every dependency.. need to find it again and then post it. (it is a hacked utility itself, was for ppc2000 i think. or was it peinfo for pspc?)
+1. read the readme in the mips211.zip gives you some tips specific of hpc pro hacking

don't get your hopes up very high, hpc pro is much worse than hpc2000 regarding hacking (amount of hackable programs and degree of usabilty of successfully hacked apps) but there are a few nice apps that work quite well. outstanding example is netfront 3.0. also going to try and get the pdf reader posted soon.

Edited by cmonex 2006-07-03 11:02 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-07-04 4:46 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

There are more than a few, actually - we've gotten at least 25 or so working in H/PC Pro thus far.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 14