x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

720degrees Linux for the Jornada 720

[Frozen]
« Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... Next »
Frozen
snickersmd Page Icon Posted 2006-03-08 7:31 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

I now have X packaged for the public. Get it from the 720degrees package repository:

apt-get install xserver-kdrive-fbdev

I will have other packages like the GPE xtscal up shortly.

On a side note, I finally have a working copy of Firefox 1.5 for the Jornada 720, taken from the NetBook guys. It really does load without crashes... but it's ridiculously slow. Slow as in there is lag time in waiting for menus to appear from the menu bar, slow as in too slow to type an address in the URL field. Unusable, but it works, and it's fun to see that it does.
 Top of the page
quitte Page Icon Posted 2006-03-08 7:59 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi. I'm porting debian to Jornada 680 and thought we might want to work together at some points. i'm especilly interested in making a installer that can fully be started from windows ce. meet me in #debian-anarchy on freenode.
 Top of the page
snickersmd Page Icon Posted 2006-03-08 9:47 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

quitte - 2006-03-08 6:59 AM

Hi. I'm porting debian to Jornada 680 and thought we might want to work together at some points. i'm especilly interested in making a installer that can fully be started from windows ce. meet me in #debian-anarchy on freenode.

If there's anyway we can help you, we will, but you should know that the Jornada 680 has a completely different processor architecture than the 720, and very little of the work we do here for 720degrees could actually cross over for use on the 680.

The best thing for you to do would be to ask around in the Jlime forums, install a base Jlime system, get and/or compile an SH3 debootstrap binary, and make a Debian base filesystem.
 Top of the page
quitte Page Icon Posted 2006-03-08 3:18 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

the distribution has a working base already. and we have one thing in common that matters for the installer. we are booting from wince and have nothing but an initrd to run a installer from. also available memory is pretty much the same. and as we are both using debian we can share the same source for kdrive for example. also i have made the qte2 package work which you might be interested in.
 Top of the page
snickersmd Page Icon Posted 2006-03-08 5:48 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

quitte - 2006-03-08 2:18 PM

the distribution has a working base already. and we have one thing in common that matters for the installer. we are booting from wince and have nothing but an initrd to run a installer from.

I don't understand how that is common with us, because even the WinCE binaries we use to bootload are different. Binaries for the 680 are not interchangeable with the 720.

Furthermore, our distribution does not use the initrd to run an installer directly; it is easier to distribute a preinstallable base filesystem.

also available memory is pretty much the same. and as we are both using debian we can share the same source for kdrive for example.

The kdrive I packaged was a precompiled binary for ARM that will not work on SH3. PS has been working with the source to compile our own, but even then the parameters for compile would probably be different from SH3 on the 680. As I stated earlier, you would have an easier time looking at the kdrive used by Jlime.

also i have made the qte2 package work which you might be interested in.

This may be of some use, but then, I have not seen the qte2 package on Debian ARM and it may simply work as it is.

Edited by snickersmd 2006-03-08 5:49 PM
 Top of the page
oski Page Icon Posted 2006-03-08 6:08 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

snickersmd - 2006-03-08 12:31 PM

I now have X packaged for the public. Get it from the 720degrees package repository:

apt-get install xserver-kdrive-fbdev

I will have other packages like the GPE xtscal up shortly.

On a side note, I finally have a working copy of Firefox 1.5 for the Jornada 720, taken from the NetBook guys. It really does load without crashes... but it's ridiculously slow. Slow as in there is lag time in waiting for menus to appear from the menu bar, slow as in too slow to type an address in the URL field. Unusable, but it works, and it's fun to see that it does.

Hi I installed your xserver-kdrive-fbdev, can not start X at all. Tried X, x, startx, xinit, but in all cases got "command not found". What I am missing?

Have you tried minimo from GPE-Familiar? I tried it when, before your 720degrees, I was experimenting with GPE and it looks promising, the only thing did not worked for me were the back and forth arrows.

oski
 Top of the page
snickersmd Page Icon Posted 2006-03-08 6:54 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

oski - 2006-03-08 5:08 PM

Hi I installed your xserver-kdrive-fbdev, can not start X at all. Tried X, x, startx, xinit, but in all cases got "command not found". What I am missing?

You are missing all the init scripts for X. X, startx, and xinit are all supplied by the package xbase-clients.

Have you tried minimo from GPE-Familiar? I tried it when, before your 720degrees, I was experimenting with GPE and it looks promising, the only thing did not worked for me were the back and forth arrows.

oski

I did try it before as well. It works fine, I never noticed any problem with buttons. It is still a very unfinished program, and it has been a while since a new release has been made available.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-03-09 3:29 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

I think that OPIE would be better to get up than GPE, but I have no idea.

I got sound somewhat working, and it looks like either I have to compile my own alsa modules, or wait for kernel 2.6 for full support. Pretty much, everything works, I just can only control volume through one program, moc (a music player). Perhaps I will figure out how it does it. Also, console beeps do not work. MP3's seem to work fine, I have tested 128kb/sec and possibly 192kb/sec. Wav's work perfectly. Oggs are a different story. I guess they need fpu's? Whatever it is, no matter how low the ogg bitrate is, it does not play. Every couple of seconds I hear something...oh well. Also, I cannot play music in X too well. It easily overloads the processor. However, it seems that I can start it in the console, go into X, and the performance is better. Go figure. But since switching from X into console and back again crashes my 720 for some mysterious reason, this option does not work too well.

ShadowMaster's battery applet seems to be working completely now, and there does not seem to be much more work left on it, except maybe a clearer xpm.

No, the 680 is not much like the 720 at all. Jlime has an entire team, contact them.

In the meantime, I am still trying to get dillo to run. I installed what it wants, it is just being stupid and not seeing it. Some font error, I will probably figure it out. As things go, snickersmd does not have the problem.
 Top of the page
quitte Page Icon Posted 2006-03-09 6:01 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

snickersmd: so you just refuse to build stuff from source but collect binary stuff from anywhere and repackage it? you're right then we have nothing in common.
 Top of the page
karloch Page Icon Posted 2006-03-09 6:27 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Excellent work!!!! I will try kdrive as soon as I can. PS thanks for the cardctl hint.

Finally, with this distro I have achieved what I have been looking for more than a year: connecting with my Jornada 720 to the University network (it's protected b PPTP VPN access). The first thing that I did was to configure the wireless parameters: ESSID and WEP. Then the ifup eth0 called dhcp to get an IP. After that, and having installed the pptp-linux package from Debian ARM, I ran the PPTP tunnel connection script and... whual, my Jornada 720 connected to the network and therefore to Internet.

I'm just telling this to let you know how useful is the work that you are doing and thank you for it

snickersmd and PS, when the distro is fully build, I would be nice to add to the webpage a hardware hack section, explaining the two useful hacks for Linux on the Jornada 720:
    * Battery hardware hack to reset the device
    * CF Slot hardware hack to let it fit type 2 CF cards, and therefore, Microdrives

Keep up the good work!
 Top of the page
snickersmd Page Icon Posted 2006-03-09 7:56 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

quitte - 2006-03-09 5:01 AM

snickersmd: so you just refuse to build stuff from source but collect binary stuff from anywhere and repackage it? you're right then we have nothing in common.

I never said we refuse to build stuff from source; PS is already rebuilding a number of packages, but the stuff we do build from source would not be of much help to a 680 distribution. For instance, to build Kdrive from source needs setting of parameters for specific hardware support in the Jornada 720, and I'm fairly certain things would be different to compile for the Jornada 680.

That is not to say that we cannot share ideas as well as source code. All I meant to say is that you should be aware that the 720 is a whole different beast from the 680 and our work may not be in the direction that you want to take with your distro. You're welcome to work with us but we may not have what you are looking for.
 Top of the page
snickersmd Page Icon Posted 2006-03-09 8:05 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

ProgramSynthesiser - 2006-03-09 2:29 AM

I think that OPIE would be better to get up than GPE, but I have no idea.

As choice goes, we do have to prepare to have both options available for users of this distro. However, OPIE is focused on making a Linux PDA, and for those of us here using Debian and wanting a pocket workstation, this is not the optimal choice.

GPE also aims for a Linux PDA setup but is more versatile in the sense that it uses X and GTK, which in turn allows us to use a bunch of other non-GPE programs. This of course brings us back to what ticks PS off so much, having so many friggin' libraries on the device just to run a handful of programs.

Before attempting to 'Debianize' GPE and OPIE, I will stick to developing a neutral platform, working with existing packages to optimize the way they work for the Jornada. Once existing packages work, we can better decide what new packages are needed, what needs to be recompiled, etc.
 Top of the page
snickersmd Page Icon Posted 2006-03-09 8:08 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

karloch - 2006-03-09 5:27 AM

snickersmd and PS, when the distro is fully build, I would be nice to add to the webpage a hardware hack section, explaining the two useful hacks for Linux on the Jornada 720:
    * Battery hardware hack to reset the device
    * CF Slot hardware hack to let it fit type 2 CF cards, and therefore, Microdrives

Keep up the good work!

There will definitely be a page dedicated to hardware hacks. The NetBook guys have done similar.
 Top of the page
oski Page Icon Posted 2006-03-09 8:15 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

snickersmd - 2006-03-08 11:54 PM

oski - 2006-03-08 5:08 PM

You are missing all the init scripts for X. X, startx, and xinit are all supplied by the package xbase-clients.

Hi,

- Installed xbase-clients from Deb packages
- Put /usr/X11R6/bin in my PATH

But still can get it working!!
- If I do startx I get the following:
Hostname: Unknown host ( my host name is jornada)
xauth: creating new authority file /root/.serverauth.474
/usr/X11R6/bin/xauth: (argv):1: bad display name "jornada:0" in "list" command
/usr/X11R6/bin/xauth: (stdin):1 bad display name "jornada:0" in "add" command
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xserverrc: line 5: /usr/bin/X11/X: No such a file or directory
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xserverrc: line 5: can not execute: No such a file or directory
giving up
/usr/X11R6/bin/xinit: Connection refused (errno 111) unable to connect to X server
/usrX11R6/bin/xinit: No such a process (errno 3): Server error
/usr/X11R6/bin/xauth: (argv):1: bad display name "jornada:0" in "remove" command

- if I do xinit I get the following:
xinit: no such a file or directory (errno 2): no server "X" in PATH.
Use -- option or make sure that /usr/X11R6/bin is in your path and that "X" is a program or a link to the right type of server for your display. Possible server names include: Xorg X.Org displays.
giving up
xinit: Connection refused (errno 111) unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such a process (errno 3) Server error.

Any suggestions?
Did I install the wrong xbase-clients?
What I am missing?
TKS

oski
 Top of the page
snickersmd Page Icon Posted 2006-03-09 8:28 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Oski, you aren't missing anything, but you need to make symlinks to the Xserver binary. One is installed by default in the /etc/X11 directory but it doesn't seem to be helping you.

The actual binary is /usr/bin/Xfbdev. Put symlinks to this file in the right places, like maybe in /usr/X11R6/bin.

Although, I didn't have to make all these symlinks, and mine just works. Have you also installed x11-common and xserver-common?
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... Next »
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.216 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 15