x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

720degrees Linux for the Jornada 720

[Frozen]
« Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... Next »
Frozen
snickersmd Page Icon Posted 2006-03-09 11:21 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

ProgramSynthesiser - 2006-03-09 9:48 PM

If you have a refurbished ultra-crazy-15-hours battery, you could probably suspend for about 24 hours. If you have an even crazier refurbished extended battery...well, I guess it does not matter much anymore.

Directions will follow for this -- this was my geek territory way before I started with this distro. I'm a li-poly PDA battery hacker from Brighthand.com, and I developed and sold battery upgrades for the T3, for a time. I've also modded my cellphone by hollowing out pieces of the plastic housing and cramming in a 1500 mAh battery in there (original battery was 600 mAh)

More relevant to all of you, I have had success with cramming 2400 mAh into the Jornada battery, where the standard battery holds 1500, and the "extended" battery for the 728 measures out at 1960.
 Top of the page
coredump
coredump Page Icon Posted 2006-03-09 11:24 PM
#
ProgramSynthesiser - 2006-03-10 1:10 AM

You forgot option number 3: Compile most of it yourself.

I was going to ask it rigth now: cross-compile or compile on the jornada? 206MHz sounds like a pain, and I don't know if compiling will be good for my CF :
In any case, I hope you can provide me some directions on compiling stuff for/on the jornada, so I can compile (and probally pack) GPE.

Top of the page
snickersmd Page Icon Posted 2006-03-09 11:25 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

coredump - 2006-03-09 9:51 PM

Erm... Again, I'm using sarge version, the ipkg on the 720degrees repository is compiled in etchy, so it depends on libc6 >= 2.3.5-2, sarge's libc6 is 2.3.22.

That means no ipkg or xtscal for sarge image users. There're two paths here:

Forgive my oversight. I doubt that either package really requires those versions, I merely renamed the versions they had in their control files because ipkg uses a different subversioning scheme than Debian.

There are equivalents for both that rely on Sarge only libs, and I'll try to have them out shortly.
 Top of the page
snickersmd Page Icon Posted 2006-03-09 11:47 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

coredump - 2006-03-09 10:24 PM

I was going to ask it rigth now: cross-compile or compile on the jornada? 206MHz sounds like a pain, and I don't know if compiling will be good for my CF :
In any case, I hope you can provide me some directions on compiling stuff for/on the jornada, so I can compile (and probally pack) GPE.

Cross compiling definitely the way to go. Compiling per se isn't something that would kill your CF directly, but it is added work that may lower the lifespan.

If you jump on board as a compiler and packager, it'd be great. Delegation of tasks isn't easy with just me and PS.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-03-10 12:56 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Cross compiling works well, usually. I just need to clear it every once in a while. For example, to get ShadowMaster's battery applet to compile, I somehow messed up the main cross system, and now the kernel won't compile. I just need to do things properly, and it works. When I get a real, working compiler out (that actually compiles most things), I will release it, something that everyone has failed to do. Honestly, a bare cross-compiler is pretty useless.
 Top of the page
wirespot Page Icon Posted 2006-03-10 3:07 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Speaking of web browsers, don't any of the mobile Opera versions work on Jornada?
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-03-10 3:20 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I have not tested that yet...don't they cost money? Lol, I have no idea.
 Top of the page
karloch Page Icon Posted 2006-03-10 7:53 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Actually, I think that links2 is working better than Dillo, since links2 has at least some javascript support.

By the way, I have found a console MSN Messenger client that is even better than gtmess. It's tmsnc. It's available on the testing and unstable branch of the Debian ARM repository, so apt-get will be ok to install it.
 Top of the page
snickersmd Page Icon Posted 2006-03-10 9:17 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

karloch - 2006-03-10 6:53 PM

Actually, I think that links2 is working better than Dillo, since links2 has at least some javascript support.

Karloch, links2 has been recommended for the J720 on many forums and mailing lists. But when I tried it under graphic mode,

1. I had no control of the pointer provided. Is that a given, that the default package doesn't work with the touchscreen, or am I missing a startup option?

2. Whenever I've tried to exit the program from graphic mode, my screen would freeze up and I'd have to reset. Again, is there something I'm doing wrong with the program? Because it really is a nice browser.

Edited by snickersmd 2006-03-10 9:18 PM
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-03-11 5:11 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I had the same results. This looks like a package that I should probably compile myself. I have seen this work on other pc's before, and none of this is normal behavior. The whole browser is messed up.
 Top of the page
oski Page Icon Posted 2006-03-11 7:11 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hi,
In relation with browsers:

- links2 -G same experience here

- I am trying to compile gpe-mini-browser, but got stuck at ./config stage due to dependencies not found ie,

sqlite: I have installed, reinstalled, removed and installed again, it is there, but not found!!!!

osb-nrcit: cannot found package or binaries anywhere.

Any suggestions? (other than wait for somebody to compile minimo for 720degrees?
Tks
oski
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-03-11 5:32 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Cross compiling is a skill that takes time to learn. Send me a link to the mini browser, and I will check it out.

Minimo? I still don't want to do it.

Sqlite may be named something else as a binary, that occasionally happens to me. Extract the package, and see what files it contains.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-03-11 6:04 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Oh, and I forgot to mention that tmsnc is rather poor. Of course it is better than gtmess, that is the worst software I have used in some time. Centericq is the best of the console ones, but is buggy with our lower resolution in X.

If anyone has a good, light gui msn/yahoo client, please post. Nope, amsn does not seem to work. I want something different.

Don't anyone dare to say gaim.
 Top of the page
PocketDVD Page Icon Posted 2006-03-11 7:17 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Concerning crosscompiling, what about distc++?
if you start a compile on the Jornada, it can use CPU power from 1 or more desktop pc's.

Not sure how this works with different architectures, but still. Just an idea, thats all.

edit: lightweight msn client: CenterICQ. ncurses-based, so no gtk or anything required, not even X.
this will be one of the first things I will stick on it once my wifi card comes in.
Centericq is a text mode menu- and window-driven IM interface that supports the ICQ2000, Yahoo!, AIM, IRC, MSN, Gadu-Gadu and Jabber protocols. Actually, it was written since I didn't find any usable software of this kind that would suit me perfectly. Brief list of program's features follows.
# Text mode user interface

* Based on the ncurses library
* Provides windows, menus and dialogs
* Configurable color schemes
* Ability to use the program remotely via telnet or ssh
* Configuration is done with dialogs
* Support for displaying Hebrew and Arabic texts
* UI messages translated into 15 languages

# General instant messaging features

* ICQ, Yahoo!, AIM, IRC, MSN, Gadu-Gadu and Jabber are supported
* Sending, receiving and forwarding events
* Command line parameters for sending events through an already running instance
* Mass-sending events
* Contact list groups support
* Configurable sounds for specific events and users
* External programs to process incoming events
* Viewing users' personal data
* Updating self user info
* List of ignored users
* Configurable servers' hostnames and port numbers
* Ability to use http proxy (method CONNECT; optionally with proxy auth) to connect to IM servers

Edited by PocketDVD 2006-03-11 7:22 PM
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-03-11 7:30 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I already posted that centericq does not work in X. It is a bug that requires 24 vertical lines. I might contact the developer later.
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... Next »
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.312 - Cached queries : 49 - Executed queries : 31