x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

720degrees Linux for the Jornada 720

[Frozen]
« Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... Next »
Frozen
PocketDVD Page Icon Posted 2006-03-11 7:35 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

cant you configure the xterms properties concerning size and font?

or use something like rxvt or aterm as a terminal to run centericq. in fluxbox, you can easely make a menu item to run aterm -e centericq or something similair.

http://linuxreviews.org/software/x11-terms/aterm/

Edited by PocketDVD 2006-03-11 7:38 PM
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-03-11 7:49 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Yes, I am aware of that. But like I said, unless if you have 24 lines, which would require an incredibly small font, it will not run.

Yes, it does actually open, log in, and all. But if you select a person to im, it flashes, and pops out of the conversation again.
 Top of the page
PocketDVD Page Icon Posted 2006-03-11 8:07 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Is there any way to modify the screenproperties of X (the startup script) to increase the resolution (like nyditot does for example) to allow more screen estate for the more lines?

I'm just trying to give you some ideas. If you want, I'll just be quiet untill I finaly have linux on the J, just let me know.

In addition, you *might* be able to receive some help from forums.gentoo.org
I know your not using gentoo, but from my experience, those guys there are very very helpfull with suggestions, and how and what to look for.

They might also be able to help you out with the suspend stuff.
They had an "embedded gentoo" project going on for a while.

Edited by PocketDVD 2006-03-11 8:08 PM
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-03-11 8:22 PM
#
H/PC Elder

It is just a bug in the program.

I will contact the creator, and have him fix it.
 Top of the page
coredump
coredump Page Icon Posted 2006-03-12 1:08 AM
#
Hello there.

Got some time today and cross-compiled basic libs and gpe-contact 0.44 (latest on GPE's source ftp). I'll cc some other stuff from GPE to get a basic working environment. All packages are being compiled against the Sarge image.

So far so good. I'll let you know when I put the debs somewhere. Right now I need to review all the dependencies, I forgot to add them and gpe-contacts installed before libgpewidgets withuot complaining ;P
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-03-12 1:19 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Oh, good. Do you have cross compiling down well? Perhaps you could help me do a few things...
 Top of the page
coredump
coredump Page Icon Posted 2006-03-12 3:20 PM
#
scratchbox.org is a answer to many, many things on CC
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-03-12 3:38 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Lol, I found it to get in my way many times. I may test it out again, but for now I am fine with:
./configure --host=arm-linux
make CC=arm-linux-gcc

Personally, I was just amazed when I learned that I could compile and install new libraries to the cross compiler.
 Top of the page
karloch Page Icon Posted 2006-03-12 7:28 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

snickersmd - 2006-03-11 3:17 AM
Karloch, links2 has been recommended for the J720 on many forums and mailing lists. But when I tried it under graphic mode,

1. I had no control of the pointer provided. Is that a given, that the default package doesn't work with the touchscreen, or am I missing a startup option?

I also didn't manage to use the mouse pointer, not even using the touchscreen /dev device.

2. Whenever I've tried to exit the program from graphic mode, my screen would freeze up and I'd have to reset. Again, is there something I'm doing wrong with the program? Because it really is a nice browser.

Me too, but this issue has a fair simple workaround. Once you exit links2, the screen will freeze up, but it's just the graphics mode what has freezed, your Linux is still working nice. Get back to the terminal where you started the browser (CTRL+ALT+F1..F6) and hit CTRL+C. Links2 process will be forced to shutdown, along with the graphic mode
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-03-12 10:18 PM
#
H/PC Elder

That fix did not work for me, I tried it when mine crashed.

The pointer problem is interesting, I will look into it later.
 Top of the page
MattimeoZ80 Page Icon Posted 2006-03-14 2:36 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I finally hopped on the Jornada 720 bandwagon last week by purchasing one off Ebay, should be here in two days. In any case, right from the start I figured I would have to live with Familiar and the garbage that is Ipkg. I can't say how excited I am at 720degrees, it seems to fit the niche between small footprint devices (32-64mb only) and those with larger storage (say with 512mb-2gb flash cards).

One thing I am concerned about is flash card writes. How is 720degrees on say, log files, or other possibly flash stressing issues? I'm definitely looking forward to playing around as soon as my 720 arrives!
 Top of the page
mr_skater99 Page Icon Posted 2006-03-14 5:58 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Will be trying this distro as soon as i get a big enough CF card. Lot of info here - will read it over the next few days.

Looks awesome tho,

Cheers!
 Top of the page
coredump
coredump Page Icon Posted 2006-03-14 8:18 AM
#
Just to keep the information fresh:

I compiled and packaged all the base system for GPE. That includes the libraries (and dependencies) and gpe-conf, gpe-su and gpe-login. There's already some stuff working.

I'll work on the PIM apps this afternoon and maybe put the work on a repository. I'm not sure about dependencies yet, installing can be a little harsh to deal with those but as people start to report bugs I'll fix it.

On a side note, GPE code is tuned to the IPAQ and I'm working on adapting some stuff to the Jornada (like screen brightness and battery status), but that's a side work not related with the packaging.

Top of the page
coredump
coredump Page Icon Posted 2006-03-14 8:52 AM
#
To be true, if anyone can help me:

I need to know Battery codes from Jornada. The IPAQ Kernel has codes like those:

/* from ipaq kernel, h3600_ts.h */ #define H3600_BATT_STATUS_HIGH 0x01 #define H3600_BATT_STATUS_LOW 0x02 #define H3600_BATT_STATUS_CRITICAL 0x04 #define H3600_BATT_STATUS_CHARGING 0x08 #define H3600_BATT_STATUS_CHARGE_MAIN 0x10 #define H3600_BATT_STATUS_DEAD 0x20 /* Battery will not charge */ #define H3600_BATT_NOT_INSTALLED 0x20 /* For expansion pack batteries */ #define H3600_BATT_STATUS_FULL 0x40 /* Battery fully charged (and connected to AC) */ #define H3600_BATT_STATUS_NOBATT 0x80 #define H3600_BATT_STATUS_UNKNOWN 0xff

But I can't find nothing like it for the Jornada Batteries on the kernel. If anyone can shed some light on this, it would be very helpful.
 Top of the page
PocketDVD Page Icon Posted 2006-03-14 10:08 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

ok, I got 720degrees installed, awesome job people, works pretty darn good.

running the stable image, and had some issues with extracting the files to cf, (impatient, computer says extraction was done, but it actually wasnt, so I ended up doing it a couple of times)

I just got amazed even more after turning it on again when I turned it off last night. Suspend doesnt work properly as you guys said, but without a wifi card in the j720, it still powered on, 10 hours after I turned it off. this is quite acceptable, really. Today my wifi should be coming in, and I'll do a test again to see if that still powers on after a couple of hours.

I'm using a 512 CF card, partitioned in 100mb fat (this way I can still keep some wince files on it) and 400mb linux. It currently uses 90mb on the linux partition.

questions:

1. how can I use the apt-get stuff from the fat partition? I can configure the apt settings file for a location on the fat partition, and mount the fat partition, but where can I find/download the packages for the J?

2. it boots up with pretty much all the memory already used. I removed exim4 from init, but are there any other ones I dont need? How do I uninstall stuff from the image? (the only internet use it will get is web, remoting and IM, no email or security stuff)

I'm pretty good with Gentoo, but debian is totally new to me.

Top of the page
« Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... Next »
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 14