x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

720degrees Linux for the Jornada 720

[Frozen]
« Prev ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... Next »
Frozen
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-29 3:13 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

rbil49 - 2006-03-29 2:50 PM

OK, finally got my J720 through an ebay purchase. :-) BTW, how long are these batteries supposed to last? This is my first J720 and am finding that when using it - say typing constantly - I only got a couple of hours before it got down to around 30% charge. What is this 9 hour use supposed to be? Do I have a bad battery?

Thanks

When you say "typing constantly", do you mean with wifi on/inserted into the PC Card slot?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-29 3:20 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

rbil49 - 2006-03-29 8:50 PM

OK, finally got my J720 through an ebay purchase. :-) BTW, how long are these batteries supposed to last? This is my first J720 and am finding that when using it - say typing constantly - I only got a couple of hours before it got down to around 30% charge. What is this 9 hour use supposed to be? Do I have a bad battery?

Thanks

do not worry it is perfectly normal. when it gets to 30% you have many many hours left, somehow it isn't discharging linearly - stays at 33% for the longest while, stays much less at 50% and 83% and 100%.
when it gets down to 16%, charge the battery asap (it will last one more hour but you'd better be careful, li-ions don't like full discharge).
 Top of the page
rbil49 Page Icon Posted 2006-03-29 3:54 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

mscdex - 2006-03-29 12:13 PM

rbil49 - 2006-03-29 2:50 PM

Thanks

When you say "typing constantly", do you mean with wifi on/inserted into the PC Card slot?

No wifi inserted this morning when I experienced this. I did use wifi earlier but was connected to the mains while using it.

Edited by rbil49 2006-03-29 3:54 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-30 4:51 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

rbil49 - 2006-03-29 9:54 PM

No wifi inserted this morning when I experienced this. I did use wifi earlier but was connected to the mains while using it.

and how long does it last at 33%? i bet it will last alot more.
 Top of the page
rbil49 Page Icon Posted 2006-03-30 8:44 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I saw your earlier post and that is very encouraging. I started to panic because it seemed to drop so quickly. Of course, I'm concerned about battery life when I'm ready to migrate this device over to Linux ... which I'm really looking forward to being able to do!

I guess what I'm waiting for at this time is a solution to the reboot thing. Hopefully that will come. I assume that now the only way is to remove the main battery and that would mean there shouldn't be a backup battery in the device at all. Certainly not elegant.

I've got 1.5GB of raw space on my CF waiting to install Linux. In the meantime, using the 512MB FAT partition as a storage card for WinCE.

Cheers,
Rene

Edited by rbil49 2006-03-30 8:46 PM
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-03-30 10:20 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Don't worry yourself too much about battery capacity. Your 720 battery is most likely not in its prime anymore, but a refurbish is just $25 and some soldering skills away.

People who refurbish their batteries get an average of 16 hours with wifi, and probably well over 20 without.

1.5gb...that sure sounds nice compared to my 340...

EDIT: Also, typing really doesn't take up much power at all. The screen backlight, cards in the pcmcia slot, and modem usage cause power problems. If you get irritated at your battery times, just think of those trying to use wifi on their handhelds with standard AA's.

I'll give them 17 minutes, tops.

Edited by ProgramSynthesiser 2006-03-30 10:22 PM
 Top of the page
rbil49 Page Icon Posted 2006-03-31 12:29 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

ProgramSynthesiser - 2006-03-30 7:20 PM

Don't worry yourself too much about battery capacity. Your 720 battery is most likely not in its prime anymore, but a refurbish is just $25 and some soldering skills away.

People who refurbish their batteries get an average of 16 hours with wifi, and probably well over 20 without.

Wow, that sounds excellent! I guess I should start looking around for a second battery that I can hack. Where can I get specifics on doing such a refurbish?

Thanks so much.

Cheers,
Rene
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-03-31 12:42 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I forgot exactly, cmonex? Anyways, www.batteryspace.com, the 2400mAh 18650 cells, two of them, with tabs. Cut open the battery, pop out the originals, solder the new ones in. Be quick.

Search the forum for better instructions, they are around somewhere.
 Top of the page
Maty
Maty Page Icon Posted 2006-03-31 11:14 AM
#
Don't foerget you can also get an extended battery for the Jornada 720 - meant to last 3x the usual battery. Look in ebay. I personally carry a sort of ammo belt of the standard batteris when I'm in the field. There are also chargers for the jornada which mean you can charge one battery while working with the other.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-03-31 9:27 PM
#
H/PC Elder

And you could refurbish an extended battery to literally have your 720 last for days.

Enough of that, let's get somewhat back on topic.

EDIT: Active Server Pages error 'ASP 0113'

Script timed out

/forums/forums/thread-post.asp

The maximum amount of time for a script to execute was exceeded. You can change this limit by specifying a new value for the property Server.ScriptTimeout or by changing the value in the IIS administration tools.

I thought the new server fixed all this? What is going on.

Edited by ProgramSynthesiser 2006-03-31 9:30 PM
 Top of the page
rbil49 Page Icon Posted 2006-04-01 12:04 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Here's a thought ... and it might be totally stupid, but I'll throw it out anyways.

Would it be possible to have the bootloader do a memory dump of the J720 when it first starts to a file on the FAT partition. Then have a shutdown script on the Linux side that dumps that file back to RAM? Like a suspend script in Linux that would do somethng like this: cat mem > /etc/acpi/memdump, but the reverse of this reading of course that dump file on the FAT partition.

Cheers,
Rene
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-04-01 5:13 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Not a stupid idea, except maybe for the cat part.

Hibernation is not as simple as that, but there are ways.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-04-01 5:15 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Top of the page
rbil49 Page Icon Posted 2006-04-01 6:06 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

ProgramSynthesiser - 2006-04-01 2:15 PM

OK, I just was throwing something out but not researching it. :-)

To go to sleep, such a command:

echo -n mem > /sys/power/state

To reload memory?:

cat /sys/power/state > mem

So my thought was what if the bootloader did the memory dump on the WinCE side and thus on the shutdown from Linux side, cat would write that dump back to mem? Of course, this is all pure speculation. :-) But however it's done, it might be some sort of answer to where things are at now.

Cheers,
Rene
 Top of the page
Phone
Phone Page Icon Posted 2006-04-01 11:22 PM
#
I've installed 720degrees on my Jornada twice, and I keep on getting the same problem:

(none):~# base-config new
-bash: base-config: command not found

Am I missing something here?
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... Next »
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 12