x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

720degrees Linux for the Jornada 720

[Frozen]
« Prev ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... Next »
Frozen
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-04-04 11:44 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Interesting, I thought I noticed the problem going away when I did an apt-get dist-upgrade. That explains it.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-04-21 2:02 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I would like to notify everyone of the fact that the project is still under development, and to keep posting. It will be another week or two until heavy development resumes, but the project is definitely moving along.

As it is near the end of the year, and as most of the people involved with Jornada Linux development happen to be in their last year of school, finals are huge currently. Kristoffer on the Jlime team is busy with finals, same with Michael Gernoth, our kernel maintainer and the source of the real important stuff. Snicker and Z80 are also involved with finals. And I myself have much school work to get to.

And if anyone wants to do any work...hey - this is open source. Any volunteers to do anything are welcome. PM or email me if you want to do anything.
 Top of the page
thedot Page Icon Posted 2006-04-23 12:01 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I remember those days.. ahhhh.... takes me back....ahhh...THANK GOD I'M DONE WITH THAT!!
Hope you guys all do well on your finals and am looking forward to further progress.
I do have a quick question though. Can you guys clarify if this thread is about JLime, 720degrees, or Linux in general.
I'm curious if everyone is behind the same Jornada 720 distro or if you guys are all working on seperate distros??
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2006-04-23 4:24 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Thanks for all the hard work, PS! I got 720 Degrees set up on my 720 (with 728 upgrade module) tonight! I initially tried setting it up using a Ubuntu install inside VMware. I could write to the CF card, but it kept locking up midway through extracting the base tarball. I finally got it working using Knoppix 4.02. I didn't have the easiest time getting my CF card set up, but when I finally did, I had no problems booting my 720 into Linux and getting the basic system configured. It would be really helpful to have some info on theLinux partitioning and formatting tools included in your set up guide, for users less familiar with Linux. It would also be nice to have a guide to setting up the X server that is now in your repository, recommendations of lightweight windows managers and useful, slim applications (when you are done with finals, of course!

Thanks again for all the hard work on this project! I have a feeling that my Jornada will once again be stealing my attention away from my Netbook Pro (although a little bird is sneaking me a copy of the Linux distro for that as well...).
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-04-23 7:20 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Yeah, pretty much all the problems that you pointed out will be fixed in the actual distro release. Slim applications, X, and documentation (oh, joy! ) will come standard with the system. (Documentation may actually be a seperate, optional package, but there will also be an online documentation for sure)

EDIT: As for the fsck thing, I will make sure that the newer version is included in the distro, because that whole problem really irritates me. I want to get rid of from the startup script entirely, but all it takes is one bad shutdown, and ext2 on cf cards gets completely messed up.

Edited by ProgramSynthesiser 2006-04-23 7:22 PM
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2006-04-23 7:45 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I have to be very careful in saving the time using jclock and then setting the time in Win CE after a reset, or I get problems with fsck. You wouldn't believe the number of times I pulled my batteries and rebooted before figuring out the (rather poor) solution. It is not an easy problem by any means. I think it is no mere coincidence that the spelling of fsck is so close to another four letter word that starts with f
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-04-23 7:53 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Haha, that is not what he meant. After fsck is upgraded, it sets the time it ran at properly. Therefore, jclock should work perfectly on each shutdown. And, even if it does not, it seems that when fsck is upgraded, the time is also set to 1/1/2006. No idea why, but that puts off the problem for some more time too. Anyways, after the upgrade it should be fine.

EDIT: Oh, and this thread is for 720degrees only.

Edited by ProgramSynthesiser 2006-04-23 7:55 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-05-16 3:33 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

By the way, I have been meaning to ask.

What sort of tile hosting does 720d require? I am willing to talk about it, but only to someone in an official capacity who can make authoratative decisions.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-05-17 1:55 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Ah, that would be me or snicker. You unfortunately know how easy it is to contact me, so I am the best bet there. Snicker is far busier than I am, and you would be lucky to get a response from him in a week. They blocked msn at my school, so I guess PM would work.
 Top of the page
TheDot
TheDot Page Icon Posted 2006-05-20 1:36 PM
#
Hey guys, the X Server is not showing up anymore in the 720degrees apt list.
I ran an apt-get update, checked my spelling, and checked indivdual packages to make sure that I was getting some packages from the 720degrees repository.
Any word would be appreciated.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-05-20 5:07 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I'll talk to snickers about it. He really is unable to do much of anything for another week or so, but I'll try to get it fixed.
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2006-05-20 5:12 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Finally, another person with the same problem. I thought I was going insane (the boat has sailed on that one)!
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-05-20 5:25 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Yeah, there are going to be lots of weird problems until the team gets working again. Once we do have time again, we will have our own forum up, and will be working to get a distro out already.
 Top of the page
QuantumII Page Icon Posted 2006-05-21 5:34 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hi!

I think you would like to know this: When running shutdown on my 728 with the sarge-based 720degrees, the machine actually booted back into CE. This only happened once, but still.. I just did a regular shutdown, and the HP Invent logo came, and then CE.

If we vould figure out why this happened we might be one step closer to the exit-back-to-ce-thing.
 Top of the page
karloch Page Icon Posted 2006-05-21 6:41 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I think you would like to know this: When running shutdown on my 728 with the sarge-based 720degrees, the machine actually booted back into CE. This only happened once, but still.. I just did a regular shutdown, and the HP Invent logo came, and then CE.

WTF!? What was your exact shutdown command? System status at the moment of doing the shutdown? What did you do in that session with your Jornada (apps loaded). Did you have to press the reset button to show up the bootup screen?

If we vould figure out why this happened we might be one step closer to the exit-back-to-ce-thing.

Yeah, too bad that it happend only once, but ey, we now know that it's possible to get back to CE.
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... Next »
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 16