x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

720degrees Linux for the Jornada 720

[Frozen]
« Prev ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... Next »
Frozen
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-05-31 1:49 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Generally with the way Linux works, once you have the general interface up, if the cards are supported through iwconfig, all of them should, in theory, work (if they support wpa, of course).

Hey, if you want to find apps for PIM, be my guest.. Heh, they are out there. But we probably have to get one of those weird pdaish GUI's to work just so that they run. Hopefully I will get my programming skills to the point of being useful over the summer. That's all for now, I have a ton of work to do. And they call this dead week! Hah!
 Top of the page
ramoncio Page Icon Posted 2006-05-31 5:11 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thanks a lot for your advice.
Maybe tonight I'll try with stable, as I haven't been able to find a working fsck for my broken testing and I don't know how to adjust time before fsck begins (should be some script into /etc/init.d??
I can only access in maintenance mode, then repair the ext2 partition (always has wrong inodes), remount as rw with "mount / -o remount,rw", but after this, when I reboot I enter again the same fsck loop.
Shouldn't jclock and ntpdate have avoided this fsck problem? jclock should have stored into /etc/clocksomething the right date to restore it at boot. But something is not working..

weblacky, you said testing be needed. Do I need to swich the whole distro to testing, or maybe y can install some testing packages over the stable release?
Maybe I wait to find a working fsck to continue with my testing (it took quite long to dist-upgrade, so I'd prefer to keep it if it's not too buggy).
Anyway, as I dist-upgraded into testing, I think I should have the latest version of fsck. So maybe I have to go back to the previous one, but I can't find any fsck .deb
 Top of the page
weblacky Page Icon Posted 2006-05-31 5:25 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

What I said was the orinoco cards in WPA needs testing...not what image you need...the combination of hardware and software needs to be tested. Personally I am using the etch image that's been upgraded (about 3 months ago)...I do not think it matters. I compiled my own kernel and then also compiled the additional drivers I needed at the same time so the kernel was my own build...nothign really special about that either.

-Weblacky

Edited by weblacky 2006-05-31 5:25 AM
 Top of the page
ramoncio Page Icon Posted 2006-05-31 5:33 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thanks weblacky.
I dind't hope to find someone awake in the US.
I'm going to experiment with the cross-compiler, to see if I can get it working with ubuntu. But first I'll have to read quite a lot.
I'd prefer testing, but maybe I have to use stable, as PS adviced.
 Top of the page
ramoncio Page Icon Posted 2006-05-31 10:08 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I have tried etch and lsmod showed only the ide-cs module. PCMCIA NE2000 compatible card (ovislink LS-PCM) did not work, of course.
So I've gone back to stable. I'll try to stay stable, as ProgramSynthesiser advised me to do.
At least I have network and fsck doesn't hang.
 Top of the page
weblacky Page Icon Posted 2006-05-31 11:36 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Well, I have not updated my j720 in about 3 months but I found that many of my issues seemed to go away when I got kernel compilation working. The bases are just that...bases. Ther kernels do seem to have some differences in operation and new packages did seem to like etch. My recommendation is to look back (way back) on this thread when I had questions about cross-comnpiler setup and try to get that working to make your own kernels . That seemed to make many of my problems disaapear.

-Weblacky
 Top of the page
ramoncio Page Icon Posted 2006-05-31 12:36 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Uff!
This is beyond my possibilities.
I've started with stable again. My PCMCIA network card works. Created /etc/apt/sources.list with stable repository and 720degrees repository. Installed ntpdate & jclock. Rebooted. jclock seems to work fine. No more fsck bugs. The problem for me was just with the fsck version when I dist-upgraded into testing. It hanged on 30%, but now with stable version works ok.
As kdrive is not available yet, I decided to give a try to ion2 window manager.
I installed x-common, xterm, xfonts-75dpi, xserver-common, xbase-clients, xdm and ion2.
xtscal is not available for sarge
When I try to run X I got an error:
X: cannot stat /etc/X11/X (no such file or directory) aborting.
I think I should make some symbolic links. Any help?
Maybe weblacky you can can send me any of your custom kernels , initrd and bzip your ext2 cf? This would be great!! I can setup an ftp server for you to post it, if you want.
Sarge is too deprecated.
Thank you
 Top of the page
ramoncio Page Icon Posted 2006-05-31 12:59 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Ok. I missed xserver-xfree86.
I installed and configured it with fbdev (with kernel support or something like that), /dev/psaux for pointing device (I have no idea) and 640x480 60Hz. When I run X I get a black screen.
Can somebody post his working /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file??
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-06-01 3:06 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Sigh. This is an interesting situation. I know what is necessary to get everything working, but I do not have the time to explain it, nor access the packages. Wait for Friday or Saturday, and I will write it all up for you.

Also, I noticed that upgrading the distro with apt removes the whole fsck thing, somehow. But it was not a real fix. If it bothers you a lot, and you are not worried about filesystem corruption, just remove the fsck lines from the init scripts. No, I don't know which one it is in, but it can't be too hard to find.

EDIT: Oh, and welcome to the dark side forums.

Edited by ProgramSynthesiser 2006-06-01 3:08 AM
 Top of the page
ramoncio Page Icon Posted 2006-06-02 4:09 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I removed from /etc/init.d/ checkfs.sh and checkroot.sh. No more errors.
How can I check manually the fs now? Can I do it when it's mounted?
I think I will need a bigger cf or microdrive for X to work.
df -h shows:
/dev/hda2 228M 165M used 51M free 77% /
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-06-02 9:36 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

This thread is now unlocked. Thanks for your patience in this matter.
 Top of the page
QuantumII Page Icon Posted 2006-06-03 4:31 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

How come the thread was locked ?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-06-03 4:36 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

We were running a security experiment.
 Top of the page
QuantumII Page Icon Posted 2006-06-03 5:06 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I see
@PS:
How is the developement moving along ? I am going to buy a larger microdrive, so I don't have to worry about space. My 340MB microdrive was a little small for my needs.. I saw some seagate ones on eBay, 4 GB. I think I'll buy one soon.

Did your 340MB one run out of space quick ? Mine did!
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2006-06-03 6:02 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I find that clearing out the apt cache and log files can free up quite a bit of space. Given that this is a distro designed to run on CF cards, the developers might want to disable logging by default. Constantly writting logs to disk will kill a CF card quick.
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... Next »
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 15