x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

720degrees Linux for the Jornada 720

[Frozen]
« Prev ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... Next »
Frozen
Guest Page Icon Posted 2006-06-07 12:34 PM
#
I've heard that Mambo Server is the best wiki software around and very easy to configure.
www.mamboserver.com
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-06-07 7:50 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Oh, thanks for the software suggestion for 720degrees, I forgot to comment on that. Also, I am browsing this page with Opera for Linux right now, (on my pc), and it is really nice! Way better than firefox, and fast too. Considering how many portable devices it has been ported to, we should look into this.
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2006-06-08 11:31 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

that's the first time i've seen them add to an existing thread instead of creating a new one

Edited by mscdex 2006-06-08 11:32 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-06-08 2:48 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I think that it is an interesting experiment, just to put this one to bed. I know that there have been devices with controllers on-chip, Ti for example.
I just went and got a 720 motherboard, and the core-logic chip is a GDS1111BA, whose documentation only states PCMCIA functionality, i can't however find specific information on bus-width... I do doubt though that Intel would muddle PCMCIA/PC Card/CardBus terminology.
 Top of the page
weblacky Page Icon Posted 2006-06-08 11:03 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

PS,
I understand your thinking about a wiki., most of the time I too feel they don’t get the job done. However my thinking was (and I guess we could use a sticky thread on this) that there are some topics that keep coming up, that have answers, and have been answered.

Some examples are:

1. Partition schemes and FS info (like fstune) for the CF cards (also the fact that microdrives work with shield removal)

2. Possibly cross-compiler info/setup – I barely got this setup so I’m shaky. But I had ambitions of getting GNAT 4.1 compiled for arm so if I can even do that then I’d know how to setup a cross-compiler (GCC) and would hopefully be able to write instructions.

3. The WiFi setup, this is a biggy – but goes hand-in-hand with kernel distribution. I do not think most people would bother compiling their own kernel anyway. So this could either be for people who are compiling the drivers themselves or it makes the assumption that the drivers are in the kernel and just covers AP setup and such…group call I guess…

4. Hardware modifications/interoperability e.g. using a 728 battery or refurb a dead one with better cells, changing the ROM/RAM card in a 720 with one from a 728 , etc…

I think dedicated pages would be better than trying to find the correct posting/thread.

I’d actually like (after Friday I can!) to try to get both the GCC for the kernel (thought 3.1 was the money maker there?) and the newest GCC with full GNAT, C, C++ support working as well for user apps. That will be a job in itself but I think without a good, straight forward, guide to how to get cross-compiling environments up and add ARM libs (like GTK) we are not going to see all the useful apps on arm Linux (working on the j720 of course).

I realize that the system still needs some smoothing…but it’s already there outside of the serial issues. My personal concern about it is that I really can’t use it as a PDA. A good address book and task list/calendar would really be all I need. Address book is the biggest one… I could always try something like embedded mySQL for the backend to store (and sync) those types of things. But without a dev environment setup to have people start playing with those things I do not think we’ll get there. I’m not trying to turn this into a Palm but I am trying to see if it can be functional, hackable, and extendable to whatever you want it to be. It has so much potential…

FYI that GPE installation would really go along with the GUI department (have not heard any news on how that is going or what the status is). Right now I’m using icewm and you cannot dock apps into its taskbar.

Also YES opera, something, anything, web browsing in dillo is painfull.

Well, food for thought,

-Weblacky
 Top of the page
ramoncio Page Icon Posted 2006-06-09 4:19 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I posted as a guest about getting Mambo for the wiki. I have been researching, and found Joomla! It was created when the entire Mambo development team split from Mambo and started this new project called Joomla!. More info at www.joomla.org
It's very easy to install and setup (you first need an apache-php-mysql environment working).
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-06-09 6:39 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

720degrees guys, if I could sub-forum on this forum core, I would give you your own section, but it's just not an option at the moment until PD9 start working on 2.3

I'm not a Wiki fan myself, but if you think there are sufficient people around to help write that much needed documentation, then go for it I say.
If you want to create a selection of threads to be sticky'd, please set them up with my blessing and either I or one of the Mod's will sticky them for you - however please be reasonable about what you request!
 Top of the page
ramoncio Page Icon Posted 2006-06-09 1:49 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

How can this Apidex guy continue posting rubbish? Isn't there a ban list?
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-06-09 11:21 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

C:Amie,
If it is an option, you could if you wanted to make this topic a sticky...
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-06-11 11:26 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Whatever. Anyways, I would rather do the cross-compiling guides, for obvious reasons.

As far as the installing guide, we will soon use the Jlime installer, especially if it allows to use a single image file to be copied to the FAT partition. That would truly cure all the installation confusion. For the wifi setup, it will be much simpler once we actually get the finished distribution out. I plan to have some sort of configuration menu, and there will also be a program that supports different locations pre-installed.

For the web browser, I heard konqueror worked quickly (somehow) on the 680. So I will try to get that working. My guess is that it requires the qpe libraries, but can run in standard X as well. But yes, if I will try to find if I can email them for a porting request...
 Top of the page
snickersmd Page Icon Posted 2006-06-12 5:52 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

I am glad to see that the project is alive and well on Factor. I just wanted to visit and say I'm sorry for being *so* busy and unavailable, and that I will probably continue to be unavailable until the end of this month. Got a medical board exam among other things to tackle. Rest assured that I am still behind the 720degrees project and its continued development. I've posted a similar update message on the official site at 720degrees.org.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-06-12 6:35 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

snickersmd - 2006-06-12 11:52 AM

I am glad to see that the project is alive and well on Factor. I just wanted to visit and say I'm sorry for being *so* busy and unavailable, and that I will probably continue to be unavailable until the end of this month. Got a medical board exam among other things to tackle. Rest assured that I am still behind the 720degrees project and its continued development. I've posted a similar update message on the official site at 720degrees.org.

hey! i sent you an email just a few days ago, what a coincidence. glad to hear you'll be available again at the end of this month.. good luck with your exams!!
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-06-12 7:51 AM
#
konqueror worked quickly (somehow) on the 680

Konqueor embedded runs quite nicely, renders pages properly, fairly fast. The downside is it uses the swap partition when starting up or viewing big pages. When i upgraded my 680's RAM to 32MB this stopped though. However, to get Konqueor-embedded to work took quite a bit of fiddling (its designed for 320x240). Worth it in the long run though.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-06-12 8:52 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Leave my thread alone phetermine, you computer-generated spammer! This is war, I tell you, war! Someone load up the canons, and get the cameras ready, because this one is going down in some lowly bar! Just make sure that the cops don't find out, got it? Every other spammer will end up rolling around in a dryer! Beat it!

-
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2006-06-12 10:49 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

ProgramSynthesiser - 2006-06-12 7:52 PM

Leave my thread alone phetermine, you computer-generated spammer! This is war, I tell you, war! Someone load up the canons, and get the cameras ready, because this one is going down in some lowly bar! Just make sure that the cops don't find out, got it? Every other spammer will end up rolling around in a dryer! Beat it!

-

Wow, about a year ago we would have seen a much different reply from you!
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... Next »
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 9