x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

720degrees Linux for the Jornada 720

[Frozen]
« Prev ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... Next »
Frozen
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-06-13 4:19 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Ah, do you want to see one of those? Heh, all of the users with a post count under 20 would probably duck for cover.

-Can we claim this the most directionless thread ever to grace Factor? Oh, and can someone please get rid of the spam already? I thought the admins already had this sorted out.

--I just realized that that word list phetermine posted is the same list that is used to generate the guest names. If those names are simply blocked, this spammer should be out of the way.

---Anyone with me? If we all work together, we could raid the homes of every spammer in the world, and stuff them all into dryers! We just need to work with some shady people to find them..

Edited by ProgramSynthesiser 2006-06-13 4:22 PM
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-06-13 6:02 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I am with you!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-06-14 2:33 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Thread re-indexed.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-06-16 6:26 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Awesome, thanks C:Amie.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-06-17 10:23 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

seems like reindexing didnt help in the least..
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2006-06-18 2:42 AM
#
H/PC Elite

cmonex - 2006-06-17 9:23 PM

i've already told you it will eventually overrun you. spam is like the zerg
 Top of the page
ryle Page Icon Posted 2006-06-18 5:08 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I'm a bit new to Linux in general but I've been playing around with your distro for the past couple days and it's really fantastically better than WinCE. The one thing I haven't been able to get working however, is scanning other hosts. I'm not sure whether or not I'm a retard, but tools I commonly use on my desktop like nmap and ettercap don't work with 720degrees on the Jornada, despite the fact that every other type of network service works flawlessly. I can ping other computers on my subnet and access the internet and all that jazz, but nmap and ettercap just won't work.

For example, a basic nmap -sP 192.168.10.1-255 (my subnet) returns only 1 host, the Jornada itself. From my desktop it discovers all the computers on my subnet. And in Ettercap when it tries to scan the netmask to find other computers it can't discover any hosts, unlike my desktop.

I thought there was something wrong with my wireless card. It's a Linksys WPC11 v2.5 and I have the linux drivers for it, but I've never installed them because everything seemed to work straight from 720degrees. Plus, when I tried to, it wanted me to recompile my kernel and that's a bit above my head. Yet the card still allows similar tools like Kismet to run perfectly. I tried a friend's Aironet 340 and everything was exactly the same. I could run Kismet, access the internet, and ping hosts, but nmap / ettercap wouldn't work.

I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong, and I don't even know where to ask about this. I was going to post on the nmap or ettercap boards or mailing list, but the problem doesn't seem to have to do with the program itself since I have it working fine with my other computer. Is it perhaps installing with apt-get that's giving me a bad version of nmap / ettercap? Do I have to compile them with some special options maybe?

Also, this is somewhat unrelated but would help me a lot. I installed samba, but when I tried mounting a samba file system I got an "ERROR: smbfs not supported by kernel." Does this mean I have to recompile to add support for smbfs? I've never compiled a kernel before, only used binary versions. Could anyone possibly point out to me some resources for how I would go about doing this? I'd like to keep my configurations as close as possible to the kernel I already have, except including smbfs support. No idea if this is possible, but any help on either matter is appreciated.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-06-18 8:24 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

matrixcore - 2006-06-18 8:42 AM

cmonex - 2006-06-17 9:23 PM

i've already told you it will eventually overrun you. spam is like the zerg

you told that to ME? not to C:Amie? you addressed the wrong person then
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-06-18 5:25 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Sigh. Samba has been messed up for a while. I did get it to run for a bit, but it required me recompiling the kernel. Gernoth's latest kernel is not too compile-friendly, as in many features we used to be able to change are left out. And yet, we still need to use his latest patch for sound support...

Thanks for notifying us of the nmap issue, I will look into it. I always thought that network connections were a bit strange with snicker's build... But then again, this is Debian. Just everyone wait for gophast!
 Top of the page
weblacky Page Icon Posted 2006-06-19 4:40 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

I'm still using the 2.4.32 kernel and recompiled for smbfs...works fine.

I got side tracked with a new 728 ROM in my 720, rebuilding my single 720 main with 2400mAh cells, and hacking other things...I'll try to get back on the cross-compiler docs and tests soon here...

UPDATE*** HUmmm... looks like Linux only sees 32MB even with a 728 ROM...some docs online say there's a C DEFINE in the kernel source that you need to flip as the memory size is actually hardcoded (not probed)...I guess my next trick will be to find out where this hardcoding is, set it, recompile, check memory size, and post the info....

UPDATE2*** Ok looks like there is a simple (no recompile needed) fix. Add mem=64M to your kernel args in the params.txt file for linuxexec. Free then says there is 63200KBs and claims 61MB. Now I assume the 3MBs that are missing are due to some kernel allocation. (dmesg claims it knows you said 64MB but there are 1306K code, 288K data, 72K init) so I'll assume that those numbers are my missing ram.

Issue solved, I think :-)

-Weblacky

Edited by weblacky 2006-06-19 5:28 AM
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2006-06-19 5:25 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Interesting. I am runnning 720Degrees on a 720 with a 728 ram upgrade board as well. I typed in "free" at the console to see how much ram it was reporting and sure enough, it is only using 30820 out of my 64 MB. It is only listing a couple megs as free, so it would be really nice if we could get 720Degrees using the whole 64.

Top of the page
QuantumII Page Icon Posted 2006-06-19 3:30 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hi!

I got myself a 4 GB microdrive. Now my Jornada 728 is running KDE Not the fastest, but it's cool seeing it run in such a small device.

If we only had a way to right-click..
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-06-19 3:39 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

quantumII: screenshots!!
 Top of the page
QuantumII Page Icon Posted 2006-06-19 4:13 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Too bad it locks up when starting some applications.. it dosent matter realy, this was just a crazy experiment =)

Images taken with Nokia 9500 camera..
 Top of the page
QuantumII Page Icon Posted 2006-06-19 5:06 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I tried Englihtenment now.. I could not make it do anything useful.. GNOME won't install due to the fact that it depends on "rythmbox" and that cannot be installed for some reason. I am using the sarge base..
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... Next »
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.226 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 14