x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

720degrees Linux for the Jornada 720

[Frozen]
« Prev ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... Next »
Frozen
bryno
bryno Page Icon Posted 2006-06-19 7:35 PM
#
Hehe, it seems nobody did it before :] kde on j720, how it works generally? just like on simple laptop/desktop? so i pass it, i'am figuring xfce out.
 Top of the page
bryno
bryno Page Icon Posted 2006-06-19 7:42 PM
#
And my question is: did U try run 2 programs at the same time from 2 independent consoles? I'm trying to run kismet server and client and i can't do it in Opie(which i'am testing since yesterday) but maybe it is posibble on 720 degrees at all? Someone has tried to play with kismet? piss2allUmaniacs
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-06-19 8:14 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Well...yeah....ever hear of the concept of multitasking?

KDE and Gnome are just experiments, though I got Gnome to be almost usable... Anyways, I recommend fluxbox, fvwm95, windowmaker, and I will be testing jwm soon. KDE probably crashes due to lack of ram. QuantumII, I bet that if you use the version of kde with potato, you could run it at a good speed without crashes. Running a new version that slows down modern computers is just a bad idea.

Sorry to tell you, weblacky, but the 64mb problem and solution has been posted on this thread at least once already. Come on now, it's only 34 pages long..

What is kismet?
 Top of the page
weblacky Page Icon Posted 2006-06-19 9:14 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Oh, well I looked for them...google references this site all the time and the mem=64M thing did not come up for this site....sound like that issues needs a sticky or something :-)

I will say that I am still running icewm and while it's very simple it looks good enough and is fast, has battery and processor applets (and nothing else). There was work on GPE, how's that going?

-Weblacky
 Top of the page
bryno
bryno Page Icon Posted 2006-06-20 3:54 AM
#
What is kismet?

http://www.kismetwireless.net/ - the best passive wireless sniffer i ever found on the web!
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2006-06-20 4:08 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

ProgramSynthesiser - 2006-06-19 8:14 PM

Sorry to tell you, weblacky, but the 64mb problem and solution has been posted on this thread at least once already. Come on now, it's only 34 pages long..

Given the inability to search within a thread and the lack of extended documentation on the 720Degrees website, it would be nice if answers to common problems like this had their own thread. If you know the answer, please create a thread so the rest of us poor schmucks can benefit.
 Top of the page
QuantumII Page Icon Posted 2006-06-20 11:27 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

ProgramSynthesiser - 2006-06-19 8:14 PM

KDE probably crashes due to lack of ram. QuantumII, I bet that if you use the version of kde with potato, you could run it at a good speed without crashes. Running a new version that slows down modern computers is just a bad

Yes, I also figured this out. The first time I tried to start KDE was without the MEM=64 thing, and it never got past the black background with the X pointer.

However, with 64 MB "enabled" it started, but locked up when trying to start things.

How do I install an older KDE ? do I need to change my apt-lists to point to some older version ?

Edited by QuantumII 2006-06-20 11:28 AM
 Top of the page
ryle Page Icon Posted 2006-06-20 7:53 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

About Kismet: it works fine. I can run Kismet server from one console and switch to another one and run the client. Same as running Kismet in any other distro, works great.
 Top of the page
QuantumII Page Icon Posted 2006-06-21 11:58 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Oh so that's the trick. Gotta try it tonight.
 Top of the page
mcyzyk Page Icon Posted 2006-06-23 6:57 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hey all! Thank goodness for the 720Degrees distro -- I spent quite a bit of time attempting to get NetBSD on my Jornada, but compiling all the software became quite the little stumbling block. Debian's package manager is truly superior.

BUT I have a problem: I was successful in getting both the ipkg and xtscal packages to install from the 720Degrees repository, but the other package cannot be found. Specifically, this command does not find a package there:

apt-get install xserver-kdrive-fbdev

Any ideas on what to do?

Once this is installed, is there anything else I must do to get X running or can I just type 'startx'?

Excitedly,

Mark
 Top of the page
ramoncio Page Icon Posted 2006-06-23 10:43 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

As you say, xserver-kdrive-fbdev is not there. MegaBig brains of the project are on exams, as you can see some pages before in this thread, and at the 720degrees homepage.
Some people have it working but haven't had the time to package it for the rest of mortals. But they'll do it very soon (I hope).
Keep watching this thead and soon maybe you get a surprise.
 Top of the page
ramoncio Page Icon Posted 2006-06-23 11:08 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Finally I got the microdrive!
It is a Magicstor 4Gb microdrive GS1040A-52 (3,3V).
I removed the black cover of the CF Slot, inserted the microdrive, and booted to CE.
I get the "Unrecognized card inserted in CF slot 2".

Maybe 3,3V microdrive will not work?
Maybe I need a driver?
Does anybody know any link where I can get an explanation and pictures on how to do this Microdrive trick??
 Top of the page
ramoncio Page Icon Posted 2006-06-23 11:33 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I'm afraid my microdrive is locked at IDE mode.
I have been reading a thread in this forum, where btrimmer gives all the info I needed:

/quote btrimmer/
Normal Microdrives can operate in either CF or IDE mode. In IDE mode, the drive is basically a 1" IDE hard drive, same as any laptop or desktop IDE drive. You need an IDE interface to be able to access the drive in this mode. In CF mode, the drive acts like any other CF device and can generally be accessed by any device capable of using solid-state CF memory cards. Windows CE does not support IDE mode devices on the CF slot, although I hear rumors that CE 5.0 does have such support.

Hitachi (and others) began locking OEM Microdrives (the ones they sell to manufacturers for use in MP3 players and such) into IDE mode a while back. They did this to prevent people from buying a 6GB MP3 playerfor $200 and pulling the drive, instead of paying the $300 for an end-user Microdrive.

What this means is either (a) the drive has been removed from a device intended to use Microdrives in IDE mode only, or (b) the seller somehow purchased a lot of IDE-locked OEM Microdrives and is selling them off. Either way, it won't work in an H/PC.
/quote/

I'll try to sell it at ebay and get a CF mode one.
 Top of the page
mcyzyk Page Icon Posted 2006-06-23 12:35 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

ramoncio,

In that case, do you see any problem with me using ipkg to download the package straight from the Familiar repository? Will ipkg register this package so that Debian apt knows that it's there?

New to all this,

Mark
 Top of the page
ramoncio Page Icon Posted 2006-06-23 3:25 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

mcyzyk - 2006-06-23 12:35 PM

ramoncio,

In that case, do you see any problem with me using ipkg to download the package straight from the Familiar repository? Will ipkg register this package so that Debian apt knows that it's there?

I don't think so.
I think kdrive needs some modifications. And it seems ProgramSynthetizer had some problems to publish it (he should have done it a couple of weeks ago).
Anyway, you need more packages to run X.
That's why I'm still trying console apps. And lack of space too: I still just have a 256Mb CF card.
I need another microdrive!
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... Next »
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 14