x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

720degrees Linux for the Jornada 720

[Frozen]
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-06-28 2:17 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Partition order usually does not matter on normal machines, but the Jornadas are really anything but normal...

Don't worry about the quality of the documentation, the whole point of it will be so that I won't have to answer all of your questions 20 times each.

Ramoncio, in reply to your double post, I have some good news. Kdrive cannot be configured, so you have nothing to worry about! I already configured it to run perfectly on the 720...my kdrive compile, at least. If you are wondering which file to put the window manager information in, it should be .xinitrc in your home directory. So get into there, and do:

touch .xinitrc

then edit the file to have whatever window manager you choose to have in it - for fluxbox, just type in fluxbox and save.

EDIT: Seriously, someone get phetermine with ze silver spike already, this is irritating.

Edited by ProgramSynthesiser 2006-06-28 2:24 AM
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2006-07-01 3:40 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I managed to get Window Maker working on my J728, but am having a few issues. I know some of these have come up before, but I believe they are worth rehashing, as a lot of time has passed:

1. Inability to right click. Most Window Managers seem to be pretty dependent on right clicking. Is there any way to use a modifier key so that for example, alt-click would be interpreted as a right click? Are there window managers (perhaps geared towards touch screen kiosks) that are more appropriate?

2. Many programs seem statically geared towards having a higher resolution screen to work properly. On the J728's 640*240 screen, this can leave a lot of the program off-screen. Is there any way to move a program around on the screen so that all it's dialogues can be accessed? How about running in a pixel doubled resolution (1280*480), like with Nyditot? There are a lot of programs that seem to implement their preferences panels with the assumption of a fairly "tall" display. These only need to be accessed once. Many of the programs themselves fit on the screen just fine.

3. I seem to be having a number of font related errors when starting X. There are along the lines of: Could not init font path element /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc, removing from List! I have manually fetched the referenced fonts with apt-get, but still get this error.

4. The default xterm size is too long to fit on the screen. Is there a way to make it properly fit the Jornada's screen and use a smaller font size?
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-07-03 12:15 AM
#
H/PC Elder

1. If right click was that easy to do, we would have it included in the base already.

2. We would have to program it ourselves. ...As in, on both sides. For screen resolution enhancement or by making our own software that fits.

3. You fetched the fonts wrong. (Hint, look for the base font file)

4. It's a lot easier than you think. You just need to modify the item in the menu to be xterm -g (size you choose) instead of just xterm. No, it's not in pixels, at least they don't work out the same way as we would expect. I forgot the perfect size for the 720, but a tiny bit of experimenting and you will get it. Also, try -bg (background color) and -fg (foreground color). Some are much more readable than the defaults. It was either one of the blues on black or orange on black that was great.

clonazepan, I don't care about your opinion, you poorly-coded bot. Why don't you have a trip to Uncle Norton's house, and see what he decides to do with you? Most likely, you will find yourself locked up in a quarantine cell, along with a lot of other junk made by idiots with too much time on their hands, and no friends.
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2006-07-03 12:40 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Here is some code that appears to add touch-and-hold to right click functionality to kdrive. Have you tried that in your self-compiled version?

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2004-June/001233.html
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-07-03 12:55 AM
#
H/PC Elder

It has the functionality, of course. The only problem is, our 720 only has one button, the screen.

If we want it to have the right-click ability, we would need to make a program that works with alt-tap or something like that. I have an idea for a sloppy daemon that changes xmodmap, but it would be sloppy. And I can't program well yet. Hopefully, one of the other members of the team (that would be you, z80 ) could try to make something better. We will get right-click to work.

My self-compiled version has all the functionality out there - except that of being a deb on snicker's server.

EDIT: OH! Well, this is a bit different than what I was expecting! I will take a look. Holding isn't what I want, but with the code, I could see if I could change it..

Edited by ProgramSynthesiser 2006-07-03 12:56 AM
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2006-07-03 12:59 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Well, when I try and install xfonts-base I get the following:

warning: /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc does not exist or is not a directory

followed by /etc/X11/fonts/misc, etc.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-07-03 1:04 AM
#
H/PC Elder

You know what would be really embarassing? If that right-click code is already in my kdrive, and I never held down the stylus long enough to see the right-click function.

I know that I had your problem for the fonts before... Try making that directory with mkdir. And then try removing all the fonts and just installing the base. Or was it just installing the 75dpi ones? Agh, you can figure it out.
 Top of the page
lorazepan
lorazepan Page Icon Posted 2006-07-03 10:20 PM
#
In my opinion some information is not absolutely true, but in general very good site.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-07-03 10:53 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

lorazepan - 2006-07-04 4:20 AM

In my opinion some information is not absolutely true, but in general very good site.

?! strange spammer..

Edited by cmonex 2006-07-03 10:53 PM
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-07-03 11:06 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I would like it if the moderators for this forum would finally get rid of all the spam in this thread. Thank you.
 Top of the page
snickersmd Page Icon Posted 2006-07-04 2:55 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

You may be having problems like I have had, if you are using etch.

Etch already has Xorg 7.0, and even though we don't use Xorg, the supporting packages that we do use go to locations that Xorg would expect. Between Xorg 6.9 and 7.0, the font location has changed from /usr/lib/X11/fonts/ to /usr/share/fonts/X11.

Kdrive however, looks for the fonts where they used to be and having no config files, probably doesn't have a place to put a new location save recompilation. The problem can be solved with symlinks.

To the anxiously waiting, my presence with 720degrees should steadily increase from now. I've taken care of most of the things that were keeping me away, but I still do have a few pressing matters to attend to.
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2006-07-04 3:09 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

It shouldn't be related to Etch. I am using the Sarge tarball and haven't added any extra repositories other than the 720 Degrees Linux repository. I have tried uninstalling the fonts individually and uninstalling/reinstalling the xbase-fonts or xfonts-base (or whatever its name is) rollup package. It basically always complains about the directory being missing. I have tried manually creating the directory using mkdir and have verified its existence before attempting to install the package and it still gives this error.
 Top of the page
snickersmd Page Icon Posted 2006-07-04 5:00 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

ah, this error I remember. Sometimes, you can't just install xfonts-base. I don't know the reason for this but I used to think it had something to do with not having a real Debian provided X server (Xorg or Xfree), which clearly won't work on the Jornada anyway. The workaround should be to install xfonts-100dpi, then xfonts-75dpi, then try to install xfonts-base.
 Top of the page
ramoncio Page Icon Posted 2006-07-05 6:51 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

A symlink works ok with the fonts, at least for me.
ln -s /usr/share/fonts/X11/ /usr/lib/X11/fonts
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-07-05 9:01 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Hopefully Rocketman will confirm that.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 11