x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

720degrees Linux for the Jornada 720

[Frozen]
« Prev ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 Next »
Frozen
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2006-07-06 12:16 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Sorry, but I still get the errors, with or without symlink. Perhaps there is another directory that needs linking as well?
 Top of the page
ramoncio Page Icon Posted 2006-07-06 10:55 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

did you install & run xfs?
 Top of the page
ramoncio Page Icon Posted 2006-07-06 11:00 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

It would be nice to have a list of needed and suggested packages to have X running...
I have kdrive & ion2 working ok (no right button), but I don't exactly remember which packages I installed.
I removed /etc/init.d/checkrootfs.sh and /etc/init.d/checkfs.sh too so I don't get any more fsck errors at boot.
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2006-07-06 3:14 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I did install xfs while stumbling around blindly. Why?

Yes, it would be nice to have a list of packages to install to get X running. I felt like I was stumbling around installing one thing after another, unsure if I needed it or not. With Kdrive instead of one of the big xserver projects, it is hard to know what is needed. It would be great to have a list of packages to install and in what order. I think this would help a lot of people save space on their tiny CF cards. It would also be nice to see a version of the 720 Degrees tarball with the proper packages included. There would be one tar for people just wanting to start with text mode and another for those wanting to run x.

Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-07-06 6:32 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

We'll fix it.
 Top of the page
RTFM
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2006-07-06 11:50 PM
#
Havent registered here yet, but probably will.

Anyway great job so far on 720degrees! It kicks and was far easier to install than netbsd was on my mobilepro 770.

Just wanted to toss up some screenshots of mine for the curious who might be considering linux on their jornada's.

Check em out here http://geocities.com/read_the_fsckin_manual/screens/
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-07-07 12:25 AM
#
H/PC Elder

*Gasp*

Is that minimo?! How did you pull that off?

By the way, thanks for showing some cool software that fits on the screen. How well does gyach work? Last time I tried it on my pc, I found it extremely cumbersome to use. Is it really otherwise?
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2006-07-07 1:46 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Yep thats minimo. I just yanked it from ipkgfind.

As for gyach i use it daily, both desktop and j720. I think its easy to use and doubles as yahoo messenger in a round about way. On the 720 the settings dialog is too big to see all the options, so i just opened its gyachrc file and edited it to match the gyachrc on my desktop. I did the same for xchat also.

For just yahoo chatting i'd recommend zinc ( console chat client ) if you have python installed. http://larvalstage.com/zinc/
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-07-07 2:00 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Yeah, but what about speed on minimo? I'll try it for myself when I have time...
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2006-07-07 2:24 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Well here's the deal. Naturally i made a 64meg swap file with dd and mkswap because compiling and web browsing use ram like mad.
Personally dillo runs the fastest of the gui browsers (also yanked from ipkgfind (0.6.6 gtk2 version) as the 0.8.5.deb is broken), xlinks2 works great for checking my yahoo mail and is fairly quick, minimo isnt bad until you hit a page with loads of tables and frames. Then it consumes 100% cpu until you close it. But speed isnt horrible, it renders about as fast as a 200mhz desktop would with regular mozilla.
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2006-07-07 5:45 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Thanks for the info, RTFM. I checked out your screenshots and really liked the looks of icewm, so switched to that. Fits the Jornada's screen much better. It would be great to repackage apps like Xchat after they have been tweaked to fit the Jornada's screen. I am finding quite a few apps have configuration dialogs that are far too big to fit on screen. I really wish there was a way to run in a pixel doubled resolution, or run an easy scrollable virtual window size or something.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-07-08 2:45 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Yeah, icewm is good, but I think one of the versions of it doesn't work. Anyways, I don't mind people trying random window managers and telling me how well they work along with a screenshot... Could someone mess with jwm? I have a feeling it is exactly what we want...with some tweaking.

64mb of swap is a bit overboard..I will try it with 10, and then mess with konqueror.

Double res = programming.
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2006-07-08 3:13 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Can you recommend a good screenshot application for X? I am using the Infadel2 -> Overloaded them for IceWM and it is just what the doctor ordered. One thing I noticed is the if you alt-click and drag, the cursor shift into "move window" mode. So, there seems to be some code running that alters cursor behavior based on a modifier key. If we can figure out how this works, maybe we can make a modifier key for right clicking.

I created a 64 MB swapfile as well. I am monitoring its use using Grellkm. It hasn't ever touched more than a couple megs of the swap file when running multiple applications. Then again, I have a 64 MB ram module in my 720. I have a feeling that real-world X use is going to necessitate a swap file, particularly on a 32 MB stock 720.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-07-08 3:17 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Nah, 32mb really is fine. 64mb is great. I can't really think of a particularly easy one to use with the touchscreen - RTFM, what did you use?

As far as right-click, I have to check if holding down on the tap does it. If not, I will just add that to my kdrive compile. Later on, I would like an alt-tap. But anything is better than nothing.
 Top of the page
ramoncio Page Icon Posted 2006-07-08 8:29 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

What about WPA?
Can Weblacky make a short tutorial?
Whe haven't heard of him for sometime...
I have an Entherasys Roamabout pcmcia card (It's detected as Lucent/Agere chip and works great with WEP encription).
It would be great to change to WPA all my home network, and the Jornada is the only device that does't work with WPA yet. I'm concerned with security and WEP is easily breakable. If I switch to wpa I have to change it to wep every time y want to use 720degrees.
I hope all the team will be already back after exams with renewed enthusiasm.
I hope you've all have got good qualifications too.

Edited by ramoncio 2006-07-08 8:37 AM
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 Next »
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 52 - Executed queries : 28