x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

720degrees Linux for the Jornada 720

[Frozen]
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... Next »
Frozen
snickersmd Page Icon Posted 2006-02-27 10:57 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

ProgramSynthesiser - 2006-02-27 9:42 PM

For now, if the user only wants stable, they will have to edit the config file by hand. If they are advanced enough to make that decision, they are advanced enough to change a word in a config file.

I couldn't have put this better myself.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-02-28 12:10 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Ok, it turns out that it never actually crosscompiled correctly. I sent an email off to Keith Packard, the maintainer. He should be able to help me out with this.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-02-28 1:20 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Lol, what is going on here. I do the apt-get dist-upgrade, and I get the same "INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel" error. Well that isnt good.

EDIT: Lol, pkgtool and all the installpkg utilities for slackware are actually scripts. I downloaded a tgz for i486, and was able to install and run everything...but pkgtool. For some reason, it just acts like it ran, but nothing pops up. Oh well for now - I still have that ridiculous shutdown problem. And I did everything right this time. I have no idea why it is working for everyone else, but it is surely not working for me.

WHY?!

Edited by ProgramSynthesiser 2006-02-28 1:25 AM
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-02-28 2:43 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Ok, bragging time here. I installed pkgtools manually (installpkg, pkgtool, and such) onto my jornada. I then used installpkg (which worked, while pkgtool did not), to install the i486 version of the pkgtools tgz to my 720. The only actual binary on there was /bin/dialog, and a quick apt fixed that.

So, I am now looking gleefully at the pkgtool screen on my 720...

It seems to work flawlessly. After all, it is just a script. (I thought it was a binary)
 Top of the page
snickersmd Page Icon Posted 2006-02-28 3:41 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

ProgramSynthesiser - 2006-02-28 12:20 AM

Oh well for now - I still have that ridiculous shutdown problem. And I did everything right this time. I have no idea why it is working for everyone else, but it is surely not working for me.

WHY?!

It would be a lot of work and time, but why not try just wiping the slate completely clean and starting from the exact same set that everyone else has? Fresh base files, kernel maintainer's latest stuff, everything installed exactly as directed on the website without any "expert shortcuts", then do a dist-upgrade. It shouldn't be a problem for you per se, considering you have the microdrive.

This way, we'd all be on the exact same page, and if you continued having problems we'd be able to track them down more easily.

I will also start preparing my etch image now.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-02-28 3:50 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Um, that is exactly what I did. I have been using the newest kernel and modules for a few days now, which is what adds to the confusion. I did the dist-upgrade right after I got wifi working.
 Top of the page
snickersmd Page Icon Posted 2006-02-28 4:06 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

ProgramSynthesiser - 2006-02-28 2:50 AM

Um, that is exactly what I did. I have been using the newest kernel and modules for a few days now, which is what adds to the confusion. I did the dist-upgrade right after I got wifi working.

In that case, curious indeed. You haven't done anything else differently? We need more reports from other people, I want to see if there are other people having the same problems as you are. More testers, please step up.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-02-28 2:07 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Rather than depend on that, you should go with me through the install. Although, I will be formatting again today, and then I will install each package to be "upgraded" seperately. There is no other way to track down the problem.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-02-28 2:29 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I found qmail, but since I do not have the compiler installed right now, I am just holding onto it. I wanted to check my email..
 Top of the page
oski Page Icon Posted 2006-02-28 6:21 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hi,
I am not sure what you expect from testers. I am just a simple user interested in Debian on j720 and 720Degrees seems to fit the bill.
What I did:
- Booted your kernel and installed the distro without any problems.
- Run base-config and installed the desktop package, and added stable to the apt/sources list.
- W3m and the WiFi (Cisco 350) and Lan (Xircom Credit Card) worked OK.
- Tried to install Xserver tarball from handhelds.org (http://handhelds.org/~pb/), and after sorting out some problems with libtool, libtoolize and aclocal, ./config failed at line 21687: syntax error near unexpected token XDMCP
./configure line 21687: PKG_CHECK_MODULES(XDMCP,xdmcp, have_libxdmcp=yes, have_libxdmcp=no
- Other tarballs like gpe-package-0.3 and ipkg-0.99158 failed early in the configuration process.
I think the problems are related to my lack of knowledge more than to problems with the Distro.

I will try again xserver.

Any suggestions? Anything you like me to try to test?
My main interest is to test 720Degrees from the point of view of a user like myself, then X is very important, and with X, I will try Minimo, Gaim or AMSN, and different wms like icewm and matchbox. At this stage I will be happy with a temporary solution as Matthis did, waiting for a more long term and better customised distro.

oski
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-02-28 7:04 PM
#
H/PC Elder

That is the wrong tarball. You need the xserver cvs from freedesktop.org

Do not worry about compiling, if I cannot do it, we need to wait for a reply from the maintainer.

There is something that you could do. Change the packages back to testing, and do the following command:

apt-get dist-upgrade

Do note that it will take a long time. No, it should not blow your cf card. I ran that command many, many times on mine. The block that died was actually in no way related to that. (Boot block)

Don't worry, I am working very hard on X.

EDIT: Gaim, and, especially, Abiword, works. This is good, as it proves my doubts of gtk+ 2 working wrong. Yes, we have a real word processor, and it works very well. Fits on the screen, too. I'll get snickersmd to post us a screenshot of it.

import screenshot.jpg

Window managers have already been tested for you. My little crazy adventure will be getting gnome 1.4 to work. Why? Because I CAN! (And I really do want to match my avatar with a real image, not a gimp job. ) (Yeah, the avatar is gnome 2.4 - close enough)

Edited by ProgramSynthesiser 2006-02-28 7:19 PM
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-02-28 9:46 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I have been working more on the compilation of kdrive - I am close, really close.

That's all for now.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-03-01 12:44 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Argh. I got so far, and one of the packages needs zlib fully installed. Well, even though my crosscompiler does have it installed, it does not work. I guess I will compile this one on my Jornada. After all, it is just the fonts.

Lol, if only I could follow instructions without modifying them first. I had crosscompiled zlib, and was wondering why it was not working. Well, that would be because I told it to install in the include path. Now, if I had followed the directions and installed it in the root path the first time...if would do everything for me.

With this knowledge, I can probably cross-compile pine and other harder binaries now. I can extend my cross-compiler! Yay!

EDIT: Unfortunately I ruined my cross-compiler in the experimentation process. So I will have to reinstall it, and build properly again. At least, it seems that way, as even though the library is installed, it is getting errors.

EDIT2: Ok, I was correct. I reinstalled the cross compiler and zlib, and now the compiling is going smoothly again. I think I have four packages to go.

Man, Knowledge IS power!

Edited by ProgramSynthesiser 2006-03-01 1:25 AM
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-03-01 1:40 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Good news everyone. I compiled everything successfully.

But, since I lost my place while doing it, I will not release it yet. It will be rebuilt, and verified.

EDIT: It seems to work - just like the ipkg available, the screen shines with a large X in the center. I have to admit that I have no idea how to install a window manager, and that is as far as I can get.

Snickersmd, you can definitely help me here.

Also, this compile is really rather large. The main binary is 3mb, and the libraries are ten times that size. Still, I guess about 35mb is not too bad...

I will try to figure out how to slim it down a bit. But I did do this for a reason - I did not want a limited ipkg binary. Then again, I do not want a hulking one either. I will compare sizes.

Edited by ProgramSynthesiser 2006-03-01 2:07 AM
 Top of the page
oski Page Icon Posted 2006-03-01 5:29 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hi,

I did apt-get dist-upgrade and got the following:
"Failed to fetch http://mirror.kernel.org/debian/pool/main/d/db1-compat/libdb1-compat_2.1.3-8.arm.deb
404 not found (IP 204.152.191.7 80)

So I did apt-get update followed by apt-get dist-upgrade --fix-missing and everything went OK all setted and installed.
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... Next »
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.318 - Cached queries : 54 - Executed queries : 28