x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

New Batts for my MP790

1 2
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-01-26 7:57 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Hi folks,

My new Batts for my MP790 ... unfortunately, they look a tad larger ... have not tried to see if they fit yet!

They are LG 18650 li-ion so I thought they should be right for the BAC-9 ... well ... will update later!
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-01-26 8:07 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

...Did I miss something? Lol. Just wondering if you are building a new battery or just bought one...
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-01-26 10:23 PM
#
H/PC Elder

hehe ... I got two 2400mAh li-ion batts and followed Rich's batt repair instructions for replacing the BAC-9 batts.

These batts *are* larger than AA batts. I didnt notice when I opened the case, so just now when I received the li-ion batts, I tot I got the wrong size!!

The batts are in the case and soldered! ... now they are charging up ... will know tomorrow if they are worth the time and $$.

So now I have a 7.2/4 v 2400mAh batt! ... wonder if that will take the mileage to 10hrs or past it?
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-01-27 10:17 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Hi all,

Here's an update:

My 2400mAh li-ion LG make arrived yesterday and has fully charged up over the night and today I shall see how much mileage it gives. []

Any suggestions on test params?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-01-27 10:51 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Backlight to max, sound to max, leave it running the new GAPI 3D test application (the mountain fly-by one).

That will really hammer the CPU.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-01-27 12:27 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Geee ... can GAPI run on my MP790? I didn find any MIPS bin for it? Any links?

I'm running it with MAX backlight, wifi cf card in pccard slot. Surfing the web. Been running for the past 3~4hrs ... showing 60% right now.

If it can run up to 6~7 hrs with the current param, I am very happy already!!

It means I should get over 10hrs for low backlight and wifi surfing ya?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-01-27 2:33 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

ah, 2400 mAh?! i MUST get them too just how difficult was rebuilding the battery? how many skills are needed to do that?
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-01-27 3:02 PM
#
H/PC Elder

cmonex - 2005-01-27 12:33 PM

ah, 2400 mAh?! i MUST get them too just how difficult was rebuilding the battery? how many skills are needed to do that?

well ... not too difficult ... IF you check out Rich's page at http://hpcnec.com/battery.htm

Be careful while opening the case, dun cut the little fragile PCB inside near the connector. Also, while soldering back the wires to the tabs of the new batts, dun solder a BIG lump, you will have trouble fitting the batt back into the batt case.

Lastly, once the batts are connected in series and soldered to the wires going to the PCB, be careful ... very careful, not to touch any expose terminals with the PCB copper edge or components ... I did once ... saw a spark *SHIVER* but fortunately, no damage ... yet!

Wonder if my MP790 will survive until there is 3000mAh li-ion batts? HEHEHEHE
 Top of the page
Brain_Recall
Brain_Recall Page Icon Posted 2005-01-27 6:16 PM
#
Snappy! - 2005-01-27 12:27 PM

Geee ... can GAPI run on my MP790? I didn find any MIPS bin for it? Any links?

Ah, the bane of my existence, GAPI.
I have literally spent an ENTIRE day searching and scouring the web for workable GAPI binaries for the MP790. I have been using PocketGB to test different versions to see if any were compatible. None of the ones I found are, since PocketGB reported back as not being able to use any acceleration mode, thus, I'm kinda stuck with NES ports doing 3 FPS and less.

I believe MorphGear, another emulator, will auto-install a GAPI driver, and since they have a MIPS distro, I assume it's also MIPS. I have an assortment of different GAPI sources; if you want to try any of them, I could blast them to an email or other some such.

Oh, those are wicked-good runtimes so far. I only wish HPC 2000 could report back the battery status with some better accuracy.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-01-28 8:52 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

thanks for you advice!

i don't have a nec, i have a jornada 720, but i think some of your advice apply to me as well
i'll see.. one of my batteries could do with a rebuilding i don't know if that's normal, but it holds the charge for six hours, if i don't do anything else only reading at a low setting of backlight... (1500 mAh standard battery for jornada 720)
OK, it's not that bad at all - maybe normal?? - , but i'm wondering what would it be like with, for example, wifi. 2400 mAh would be so much better
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-01-28 8:59 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

"I only wish HPC 2000 could report back the battery status with some better accuracy"

YES!! I do wish that too!
HP has an utility in rom, that measures the battery at 10% levels, but it's still not accurate enough for me... and i have no idea if that's the voltage or not (my bet that it is). i was used to Psion's battery meter, which told just about everything about the battery: remaining voltage (at 0.1 levels), average current in mA, actual current at the moment in mA, and the capacity already spent, in mAh.
of course it also gave the amount of time on batteries in hours, minutes and seconds...
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-01-28 9:41 AM
#
H/PC Elder

cmonex - 2005-01-28 6:52 AM

thanks for you advice!

i don't have a nec, i have a jornada 720, but i think some of your advice apply to me as well
i'll see.. one of my batteries could do with a rebuilding i don't know if that's normal, but it holds the charge for six hours, if i don't do anything else only reading at a low setting of backlight... (1500 mAh standard battery for jornada 720)
OK, it's not that bad at all - maybe normal?? - , but i'm wondering what would it be like with, for example, wifi. 2400 mAh would be so much better

I believe my new 2400mAh batts will give my MP790 an avg run of 8~10hrs on full charge, with occassional wifi web access and level 3 backlight (3 out of 7?) ...

Should do your Jornada good as well ... maybe can get 10hrs for yours as well?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-01-28 11:10 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

just how occasional is that wifi usage?? some hours?
10 hours... yes, that's right, i can achieve 8 hours with 1960 mAh when really using it and at full backlight (not sure how good that battery is.. and haven't tried it with wifi as i have no wifi yet).
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-01-28 2:12 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I would say 1~2 hours non stop wifi ... in any case, 2400mAh it should give more mileage ... If it is intermittent usage, maybe say 3~4 ... and then normal PIM, letter & article writing, of 6hrs? total around 10 perhaps?

Judging from my typical usage pattern, this batt should allow me to use my MP790 for around 2~3 days without having to recharging. Most of the time, I set my backlight to off or lowest. So I should get more mileage.

ok, I better stop going into the rheoterics of things!! Otherwise the means become the ends!! hahaha
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-01-28 7:40 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Cmonex - YOU ARE SO LUCKY! Wen I turn my 720 on it is at 100% at minimum backlight for 2 mins, then 83 for 20, then 66 for about 1 hour, then 33 for just under 30 mins!!! Then I recharge at 16 to preserve the batteries. AND IT IS ALL BECAUSE I DID NOT READ THE BEST BATTERY PARCTICES ON THIS SITE!!! When I got my 720 it lasted about as long as yours - but about 15 times in a week of running it to 0% totally killed the battery. The biggest part with computer lithium batteries is that they don't let you just insert new ones. That would be great! But instead I will have to see if I can find a way to make the 790 battery instructions work with mine....hope I don't kill myself on this one!
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 11