x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

New Batts for my MP790

1 2
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-01-28 9:31 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Yikes!!! I just let mine drop to 10% when I did my test!!!

but then when I remove my cf wifi card and lower backlight to 3 notches, it went back up to 40%!!!

I just hope I didn harm my new batts!!

PS: does the J720 use 18650 batts as well? If so, it should work right?
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-01-29 2:37 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Don't worry about it - just don't do it for a few weeks repeatedly, once is enough - believe me. So what is the total verdict? With normal use 12 hours? Lol maybe more... The 720 uses 7.2volt 1.50AH...guessing that is 1500mAH? I am looking at the battery and it has a line through the middle where it was sealed...it looks like it is saying "Take a knife to me. Now. DO IT!!!" Lol it looks like with patience this job could be pretty easy - as it seems to be the exact shape of lithium cells, no flat-like surface, it is round. Any idea of what battery I should get and where? (In a U.S. store, of course)

This would be a great way to bring it back to life and mobile for more than just around the house again...Road Trip!!!

...maybe I need some of that aspirin...
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-01-29 8:37 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Yes, I believe I am getting around 10~12hr of normal usage time from it. Though after reading the BATTERY BEST PRACTISES from the SUPPORT&TUTORIALS section here, I am tempted to recharge it whenever I get back to my room. I think I will use it per normal till ~20% for a week, and see how many hours I get from it.

For the li-ion cells, I got mine from batteryspace.com.

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=PRODSEARCH&txtSearch=18650+&x=7&y=9

They have different capacity cells and I chose the 2400mAh types. They are LG make. And while I was there, I got a 12pack Ni-Mh 2300mAh batt for my AA Adapter ... These together with my new batts can prob last me a whole day of continuous wifi non stop!!!

oh, and yesterday I had a fright! I just got my AA adapter and after testing it, I reinserted my self-refurb batt and my MP790 refuse to even turn on!!!

After some trying, and almost opening up another semi-new BAC-9 batt, I tried plugging in the AC adapter to charge. Lo and behold, the orange-LED of Happiness and Relieve came on!! The unit turned on and the batt started charging!! *phew* ... for awhile, I tot I fried the charging circuit in the batt!!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-01-29 9:10 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

There is a business for you in that Snappy!
Just think of all the dead MP batteries that wind up in land fill. Find a better solution than selotape to hold it tegether and you can offer to re-cell them for people.

As it was my idea, I'll have 10%
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-01-29 9:50 AM
#
H/PC Elder

hehehe ... Ya!!! ... all these NEC MobilePros being resurrected again!!! ooooh .... I currently use black electric-tape ... fits snugs into the slot.

I don't mind doing it for others just for the fun of it. I cannot receive monetary payment as it is not allowed in my community.

So if anyone needs help with the batts, pm me. Caveat emptor: While I am comfy with soldering and replacing the batts, dun blame me if the work does not look like a factory refurb batt or I somehow burn the circuit board!!! hehehe

Talking about doing for free ... I saw this site where linux folks mod their XBox to run linux and also run other games etc. They actually have a list of modders who do it for free or simple gifts like a can of coke etc. I was quite touched by this sense of comraderie ... and also that in today's capitalist world, there are still people who believes and knows that $$ is not everything! Guess that's why you find them in Linux communities?

*edit* So C:Aime ... if anyone sends me coke ... I'll leave 10% of it for you!

Edited by Snappy! 2005-01-29 9:51 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-01-29 10:15 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

But be sure that people reimburse you for the parts and postage, that's fair.

Kudos though.
You should put your Country / State in your forum profile so people know roughly where you are if they want to take you up on it.

I'd love to see you send a 90% consumed can of coke through customs and get away with it... it has to be worth the police visit just to see if it's possible

Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-01-29 4:24 PM
#
H/PC Elder

C:Amie - 2005-01-29 8:15 AM

But be sure that people reimburse you for the parts and postage, that's fair.

Kudos though.
You should put your Country / State in your forum profile so people know roughly where you are if they want to take you up on it.

I'd love to see you send a 90% consumed can of coke through customs and get away with it... it has to be worth the police visit just to see if it's possible

oh yeah, of cos I expect people to supply the parts and postage! ... I can but only provide the labour ... And now with the convenience of online postage, anyone can prepare a shipping bill and send me an email. I can just print out the shipping bill and drop it to the postman!

hmmm .... maybe I can accumulate the 10% for you and when the 10th person intends to sends me a coke, I'll give them your address! Sounds like a plan?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-01-29 5:14 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

That would mean I have to do some work... and there are laws against that!

Bit expencive if they have to send you the parts. How about you just order them in as and when. If it takes off you can bulk order them.

Anyone here who has a dead H/PC batt of any type, consider sending it to Snappy! rather than binning it. Perhaps he can open it up and discover the magical replacement cell types.

Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-01-29 6:13 PM
#
H/PC Elder

C:Amie - 2005-01-29 3:14 PM

That would mean I have to do some work... and there are laws against that!

Really? I like your town already!!

Bit expencive if they have to send you the parts. How about you just order them in as and when. If it takes off you can bulk order them.

hmm ... or they could just order online and have them shipped to me. After all, its just the li-ion batts.

Anyone here who has a dead H/PC batt of any type, consider sending it to Snappy! rather than binning it. Perhaps he can open it up and discover the magical replacement cell types.

wait wait wait ... batt of any type?? when did I become refurb-batts-r-us?? hehehe ... Well, if someone send me NEC MP700 series batts, I can quite safely help out with it. Other batt types will be trial and error .. and it will be fun ya?
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 11