x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Crazy idea: CE 4.2 on a Jornada 728?

« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... Next »
Jax184 Page Icon Posted 2006-07-09 6:52 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Well I DID say to include a custom bootloader, but to also stick CE 4.2 on the ROMs to give it a bootable OS that's non corruptable, can be used by all current Jornada owners, and is an improvement worth the effort. Not all of us see linux as the ultimate OS for the Jornada. While I have great respect for linux in general, I honestly can't stand it.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-07-09 4:35 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Yes, I know that. All I care about is getting custom roms with a custom bootloader. The CE 4.2 thing is up to you.

Anyways, Linux in burned rom cannot become corrupted. Just like CE, you could hard reset and wipe it all, if we made it that way.
 Top of the page
oflash Page Icon Posted 2006-07-09 5:27 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Ey!

You have a knack for getting lambasted.

You're right, but I'm okay with that. My long winded comment landed ten new posts in 36 hours on a dying, negative thread. I'll take all the tounge lashings I can get.

I want my 728 to be a 742.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-07-09 5:37 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

oflash - 2006-07-09 11:27 PM

I want my 728 to be a 742.

me too!!!!
 Top of the page
Jax184 Page Icon Posted 2006-07-09 6:50 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

As far as I know, the current linux distros wouldnt fit within 24 megs. And due to their ever changing nature and current glaring problems, it seems unwise to burn them to a ROM. I think keeping them on CF would be a better idea.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-07-10 1:26 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Oh the contrary! Considering that the kernel is only 700kb (Linux itself), and can be on a separate card, quite a bit could fit in those 24mb. But all I want is a custom bootloader that selects loading from either the cf, or rom. Rom would be H/PC 2000, the CE OS I prefer, and cf would run Linux or other systems that might run on the 720 in the future. Armdos?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-07-10 6:15 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

...rom would be ce.net 4.2
 Top of the page
Jax184 Page Icon Posted 2006-07-10 4:01 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Again, a lot of people won't want to run linux. Or at least, not as the primary OS. I'm trying to make this worthwhile for everyone. If the effort's going into new ROMs and writing a bootloader and all that, a newer version of CE should come with it.
Don't forget, I want one of these boards for myself. And I'm tired of CE 3.
What's not to like about CE 4.2?
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-07-10 4:15 PM
#
Two reasons that i wouldnt want it...

1) My Nokia D211 wont work with CE 4.2 (even if you try to 'hack' the driver), and Nokia has no plans to support it for newer CE operating systems. This means i would lose my GPRS internet, which is my primary use for the Jornada...

2) You lose the built in Office applications, which while far from perfect are all i have to use.

Other people may disagree, but CE 4.2 is not for my Jornada...

Edited by chazco 2006-07-10 4:16 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-07-10 4:57 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

chazco - 2006-07-10 10:15 PM

Two reasons that i wouldnt want it...

1) My Nokia D211 wont work with CE 4.2 (even if you try to 'hack' the driver), and Nokia has no plans to support it for newer CE operating systems. This means i would lose my GPRS internet, which is my primary use for the Jornada...

2) You lose the built in Office applications, which while far from perfect are all i have to use.

Other people may disagree, but CE 4.2 is not for my Jornada...

i disagree. i use gprs with a bluetooth card. do have a nokia d211, its disadvantages: sticking out too much from the slot, my bluetooth card doesn't at all , and that i have tto put my SIM card into it. i have a separate bt phone for gprs only, with its own SIM card, but use it for several devices. so i usually keep the SIM in the phone...

about the office, again this crap...??? it does have as many office editors as hpc2000. pocketword and an excel editor. the powerpoint is a viewer on hpc2000 too. so where is the big difference?! i fail to see it!
(except for pocket access. have you ever used it? )

Edited by cmonex 2006-07-10 5:00 PM
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-07-11 2:28 AM
#
i disagree. i use gprs with a bluetooth card. do have a nokia d211, its disadvantages: sticking out too much from the slot, my bluetooth card doesn't at all , and that i have tto put my SIM card into it. i have a separate bt phone for gprs only, with its own SIM card, but use it for several devices. so i usually keep the SIM in the phone...

Yes, but for that i'd need to buy a bluetooth adapter and a bluetooth enabled phone, which as a student would cost too much. Plus the D211 can achieve 115kbps speed, and i've never seen a UK mobile phone that could get that. It would also mean taking a charger with me when i'm out. Thats why i like the D211, its simple, its fast and it uses surprisingly little power (when wifi is off).

about the office, again this crap...??? it does have as many office editors as hpc2000. pocketword and an excel editor. the powerpoint is a viewer on hpc2000 too. so where is the big difference?! i fail to see it!

I used a 900C when it was in a local store before being released. I could only find a Word viewer. If it does have Pocket Word then i stand corrected . I couldnt find Excel either, but it seems the Mobilepros have their own version now.

(except for pocket access. have you ever used it? )

Yes, quite a bit.

Anyway, i suppose it all comes down to how you use the Jornada.

Edited by chazco 2006-07-11 3:00 AM
 Top of the page
oflash Page Icon Posted 2006-11-02 2:52 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

So, let's get some actual feedback, from you, Jax, or anyone else. The idea of building a bootloader that would bring up CE.net on a Jornada has been presented. We know it can be done, the guys at Jlime (the Jornada Linux build) have been doing for a while. Using platform builder, could we do it with 4.2?

Edited by oflash 2006-11-02 3:20 PM
 Top of the page
Jax184 Page Icon Posted 2006-11-02 8:12 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

This project is 100% workable. It would need some people familier with low level programming and driver development, as well as a bit of trial and error. It would also require the equipment to unsolder and solder delicate surface mount ROM chips. It could be done in a month or three. I even offered to mail Jornada 728s to the people who would be working on the project, so they could see what they had to work with and all that.
But as you can see, no one is willing to try it. So I've officially given up on trying to get the project started.
 Top of the page
Jornada 660lx Page Icon Posted 2006-11-02 9:21 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I would prefer an upgrade on the CF card, rather than having to play around with a ROM chip for the upgrade.
 Top of the page
Jax184 Page Icon Posted 2006-11-02 10:47 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Well you won't get either at this point.
The Jornada 720/728 stores it's ROM on a little removable card. The idea was to have a person buy an upgrade, recieve the new ROM card in the mail, install it, and then mail back their old one for a refund of most of the purchase price. Total downtime of 10 minutes.
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 50 - Executed queries : 30