x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Where has my IE Startup Screen Gone?

Ian
Ian Page Icon Posted 2005-01-28 2:13 AM
#
Just recently my startup screen on my Jornada 720 for IE has 'disappeared'. It is/was the standard HP one (firstpage.htm), but in my case all the photos are gone with only placeholders left.

The htm file is in ROM (so I can't have deleted it) and all the referenced GIF files (i.e. the pictures that do not display) are listed in the \windows directory.

Can someone enlighten me on how to get it back?

I've tried soft resettting, changing the home page to something else and then back again, but that doesn't help.

I have the 'trick' installed to put the temporary internet pages on the CF-card, but it was working perfectly okay until just recently. Other pages I browse to on the internet display just fine.

All very odd .... Hope someone can help!

Kind Regards
Ian
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-01-28 7:47 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Soft-resetting isn't nearly as powerful as a hard-reset. I would try that - just back up your files first - as they will all be gone, same with system settings. If THAT doesn't fix it then you have a real problem - doubtful.
 Top of the page
Ian
Ian Page Icon Posted 2005-01-28 8:01 PM
#
Thought I might have to do that, but I was under the impression that the restore would put the registry back to how it is now (i.e. same problem).

Does that mean that a full backup it only ~99%?

Will give it go this weekend. It might even solve my PlanMaker problem at the same time (spellcheck causes it to quit). One has to be optimistic!!

Thanks
Ian
 Top of the page
Ian
Ian Page Icon Posted 2005-01-31 12:26 AM
#
Just to close this one out, I did a full backup, hard reset and restore. As expected the problem did not go away.

However, I did find out the cause ... lost association(s) between the images and Internet Explorer.

Thankfully, I had a previous full backup from a few weeks ago to go back to!!

Ian
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 51 - Executed queries : 16