x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Seeking help with Explorer 4.0.1 on Jornada 720

jclawton Page Icon Posted 2005-01-30 1:15 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I'm a newbie and not very technically advanced; sorry. I have a Jornada 720 with Windows CE 3.0 and IE 4.0.1. I successfully installed an ORiNOCO PCMCIA card (8410-WD) yesterday, took the Jornada to a hotspot, and was successful in accessing the internet. However, I was unable to view email on Yahoo, AOL, or our office network. Yahoo said that I needed to upgrade to IE 6.0, but I have been unable to find a version for handhelds. With AOL, after login there was nothing but a blank screen. When trying to read office email, the Jornada froze and I had to use the restart button.

Can anyone tell me if there is a newer version of IE that will run on my hpc and, if so, how to download it?

THANK YOU.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-01-30 1:27 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

jclawton,

There isn't an updated browser for the device I am afraid.

I am assuming that in all three cases you are trying to access webmail (http, http, Outlook Web Access).

I am sure that there are users here who have got Yahoo working, have a search for yahoo here on the forum. If you are in deed using OWA at work, then alas that one will not work.
 Top of the page
jclawton Page Icon Posted 2005-01-30 1:32 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello:

THANKS for your quick reply. I apologize: I don't know what "OWA" means . . ..

Yes, I was trying to access webmail in all three cases.

Do you think that security setttings on the Jornada might be the problem? I had the security setting on "high" for "VIEWING web pages" and set on "medium" for "sending" . . . . .

I'll check the forum for threads about Yahoo; thank you.

Top of the page
jclawton Page Icon Posted 2005-01-30 1:34 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

OOPS; I just realized that OWA stands for Outlook Web Access. Our office email is Lotus Notes . . .

Sorry.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-01-30 2:19 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I am afraid that I have never used Lotus Notes web mail system (didn't know there was one in all honesty). I imagine that the problem is either

a) User agent screening - in which case the information on getting into Yahoo and on changing user agents on the forum here will help
b) Security certificate related - this is an almost certainty in the case of the corporate mail system. There isn't much I can offer you on that. Though have to considered trying Pocket Outlook Inbox or nPop to see if you can get at these services via POP3 or IMAP.
 Top of the page
jclawton Page Icon Posted 2005-01-30 2:42 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello:

Thank you again for your help. I've been reading forum threads on these issues, and I did see references to npop, although I am embarrassed to admit that I really don't understand what's being said. Can you explain what a "user agent" is?
Sorry.

Also, I don't understand "trying Pocket Outlook Inbox or nPop to see if you can get at these services via POP3 or IMAP." Could you briefly explain?

I apologize for not understanding more of this than I do . . . .

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-01-30 3:27 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

nPop and outlook are email clients, rather than browsers. I'm suggesting you try and connect to the mail server using a proper client than web mail if it is at all possible to do so.

A User Agent is a browser identification system which under HPC2000 can be altered to make the web server see a different browser to the one that you are using.
It is done using a registry modification, or a tweak app such as Tweaks2K2:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/qlink/?linkID=38
 Top of the page
vjurkas Page Icon Posted 2005-01-31 3:35 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

jclawton - 2005-01-30 7:15 PM

network. Yahoo said that I needed to upgrade to IE 6.0, but I have been unable to find a version for handhelds. With AOL, after login there was nothing but a blank screen. When trying to read office email, the Jornada froze and I had to use the restart button.

Can anyone tell me if there is a newer version of IE that will run on my hpc and, if so, how to download it?

THANK YOU.

I have no problem accessing the Yahoo mail. Please, read the messages more carefully. They only suggest you to upgrade to IE6 and they also give you an alternative - so, click the other link after reading the messages carefully.

I can give you some hints accessing the office e-mail but you need to be more speciffic. First, can you acces it using your PC or laptop? How do you do it: Dial-in or over internet. Do you have to run a special Dial-up-connection?
 Top of the page
jclawton Page Icon Posted 2005-01-31 6:14 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello:

THANK YOU for your reply and offer of assistance. Today, I purchased tweaks2k2, installed it on the Jornada, and changed the registry so that PIE passes for IE 6.0. At a hotspot, I was successful in accessing my Yahoo! email, although I could not REPLY to the email that I opened. (?!?!?!?) I am still unable to access AOL email and office email.

I have spoken to our MIS staff about my difficulty accessing office emailusing WIFI, although they had no immediate suggestions. I have successfully accessed the office email system using my home desktop, which is a 5-year-old Compaq PC with a dialup modem.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS AGAIN.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-01-31 6:46 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

jclawton.

I did the forum search...

.,..anyway

http://wap.oa.yahoo.com/ is the yahoo mobile address

Download our Favourites package to get it pre-opulated into the IE favourites on the device:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/downloads/favourites/

that should I believe sort the yahoo problem.
 Top of the page
jclawton Page Icon Posted 2005-01-31 7:39 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello C:Amie:

Thank you; I appreciate your time and assistance. I missed this information in my forum search. I have now downloaded the favourites to the Jornada successfully and will try the mobile Yahoo! link. I'm sure it will be successful.

Thanks very much for your continued patience.

Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 9