x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Now I've got ActiveSync problems...

1 2
ozone Page Icon Posted 2006-07-06 10:56 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Oh joy... the fun never ends. I'm trying re-establish an ActiveSync connection with my NEC900C and it's just not working. I had to reset my computer a month ago and never got around to reinstalling ActiveSync: just used the 900C as is. Now, I've reinstalled AS3.8, hooked up my 900C (which I had to a do hard reset on earlier), but nothing happens. ActiveSync just won't detect it. I keep running around in circles and seeing that infernal New Hardware detected bubble.

Of course, this all USED to work a couple months ago, but not anymore. I've tried disabling firewalls (not that this presented any problems before) but no luck.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-07-06 12:33 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

did you install the usb drivers for the 900c on the pc?
 Top of the page
ozone Page Icon Posted 2006-07-06 1:07 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hi Cmonex... yes I did. Or at least, I think I installed the right ones from Rich Hawley's HPCNEC site. Maybe I'll double check.
========================

If you're referring to: WinXP_MP90-USB.exe, then yes, I did install it. Was there not another one though now that I think about it?

Edited by ozone 2006-07-06 1:20 PM
 Top of the page
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2006-07-06 1:51 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Sometimes going over the whole process works.

uninstall everything and reinstall it back so that you have everything covered.

S/F,
CEYA!
Strength and Honor!!
 Top of the page
ozone Page Icon Posted 2006-07-06 1:57 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Yeah... I just re-read an old email from Rich Hawley and I'm going to try the whole process again. Arggghhhh...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-07-06 2:46 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

When you "restart" the process, do so using a different USB port in the back (front/side) of the PC.
 Top of the page
ozone Page Icon Posted 2006-07-06 9:41 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thanks to all. Everything seems to work again - more or less. Note to self:

1. Install USB driver.
2. Install ActiveSync.
3. THEN hook up NEC 900C.

Talk about particular...
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-07-07 10:27 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Yep, the sequence is critical on these Mobilepros....drove me nuts too the first time....

Rich
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-07-07 12:27 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

i disagree.. i installed AS first, then plugged mp900 in, then i installed the driver using xp's driver install process.. that worked, the above sequence didn't.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-07-07 1:37 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I never noticed personally that it made any difference which I installed first, AS or the driver, but I did notice that it made a difference if I tried to plug my 900C in first without the driver installed. I could get around it, but it required me to reboot Windows after the driver install. And I think that is where the problem lies...XP tries to locate a device driver for the 900 USB port and uses that for AS and it doesn't work, until the 900 USB driver is installed and then during the reboot you get the "new hardware found" alert.

Most people just want to install everything the same session and for me, it didn't work. Hence that old post where I discovered the order was important. And it even mentions it specifically in the users guide, but who ever bothers to read those? Duh...I should have.

Anyway, the order does seem to make a difference for some people.

Rich
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-07-07 1:37 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Technically speaking from the driver database stand point, I agree with cmonex.

The ActiveSync installation recycles the USB driver database. As there is prescedence of ActiveSync managing to miss something the size of Outlook if installed in the wrong sequence, the driver is an equally risky business.

90% of all USB issues are enumeration problems; hence why I suggested using a differerent port as it forces re-enumeration.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-07-07 3:07 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Rich, strange, i didn't have to reboot iirc.. but i did use a different usb port (first time with your sequence it didn't work ion the first usb port).

C:Amie: my sig3 does the enumeration very well it is really excellent with AS, connects quick, never a problem, even when other devices are having a problem.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-07-07 3:33 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It has nothing to do with the device, the enumeration is done on the PC. If ActiveSync skips out too soon, then enumeration fails. This is called good luck
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-07-07 3:50 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

i know what enumeration actually means, but the sig3's AS implementation seems really good
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-07-07 6:17 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I don't know what enumeration means...what is it?
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 8