x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Flash and WinCE 4.2 (IE 6 activex)

Geared2003 Page Icon Posted 2006-07-08 7:04 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I have just recieved my brand new Brainium Wibook. This is my first WinCE 4.2 device. I noticed some changes compared to WinCE 4.1: in general, it seems harder to run PPC programs , due to some aygshell incompatibilities (PPC programs run in general better with CE3/CE 4.1).

I am trying to use macromedia flash ( hexedited flash.dll from the Sigmarion): the installation is OK, but IE6 refuses to load flash content. I get some warning message about activex settings not allowing "unsecure content". By default, IE6 seems to restrict third party activex controls. Unlike the desktop version of IE6, there are no visible options to change security settings. I assume there are some hidden registry entries. Any clues ?

Top of the page
Geared2003 Page Icon Posted 2006-07-08 8:22 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Sorry for this stupid post: I tried the package from Cmonex, and it works...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-07-08 9:11 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

hey
do you like the wibook?
i got the same wrong impression about ppc incompatibility when i first tried a ce.net 4.2 device (my first 900c, i didn't even try 4.1 before), but you'll soon see that the 4.2 aygshell is so much better in most cases than the dummy ones. MS specifically made it so that 4.2 devices can run ppc apps (unbelievable, isn't it) out of the box. and yes they can! wow.
in those rare cases when the 4.2 aygshell isn't compatible you can use a dummy aygshell (i usually use "aygshelp" when redirecting aygshell calls)
 Top of the page
Geared2003 Page Icon Posted 2006-07-08 10:50 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Yes, I really like the wibook. It is exactly what I was looking for: the Wibook is not an HPC, but a very affordable "WinCE-Laptop PC". I will not use it as a mobile device, but as a quick internet and word processing device, which will stay on my desk. It seems to be quite a robust device ( "made in Canada"= better than most chinese mass-production devices ).

I will retire my Vadem Clio, which used to fill the same function as the Wibook: I liked the concept of the clio, but Ce 2.11 is really an annoyance, especially for internet browsing... I was actually looking for a successor of the Clio, but the Netbook was really too expensive: the Wibook is just perfect for me !

I had heard lots of bad comments about the screen: it is certainly not a first class screen, but it is very readable as long as you do not use it for multimedia applications. I really hate washed-out colours like the former Jornada 5xx PocketPC series: the Wibook is really better than that ! BTW, I confirm that I have a true colour screen, not a 256 colour one, as usually stated. The only real annoyance is that I get "moving stripes" when I load some Web pages with IE6. Have you got the same problem ?

Another question: how do you know that the battery is fully charged ? There is no active LED like the Jornada or Sig3. The only way to know seems to be the tray icon: at some point it switches from "charging" to "AC power". I don't know if it safe to leave the Power Plug in, as batteries generally don't like permanent charging. The battery pack is Nimh not LiON like most devices: do you notice any difference ?

Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 8