x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

"Toolbars" a HPC:Factor.com Rant ™

1 2
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-03-15 4:17 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I hate google!
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-03-15 7:02 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-03-15 7:42 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-03-15 6:02 PM

That is so freakin cool
It is now on my favorites list. Thanks
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-03-16 10:15 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Snappy! - 2005-02-21 2:31 PM

I've been on FireFox since pre1.0 and I've never looked back. Strangely though, there was once, where a page actually loaded faster on IE than FF.

But so far I like FF. Simple, light and fast (mostly). Except for that few pages that code specifically for IE, I can live (very comfy) with FF. No sillly toolbars that just appear and never go away like a bad date! hahhaa .... *yikes*

firefox is NOT fast...
because i have only a P3 computer. and a 300 mhz laptop. (and my beloved J720! ) on my laptop, Firefox is unbearable. the P3 is better, but....

what's this hype... firefox is just a resource hog. just take a look at IE/Opera's system requirements and then at Firefox's. and you'll see. as if MS had written Firefox... lol

maybe one day when i get a stronger and faster computer

until then, IE and Opera is much faster and better for me.

Edited by cmonex 2005-03-16 10:17 AM
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-03-29 2:16 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

cmonex - 2005-03-16 10:15 AM

firefox is NOT fast...
because i have only a P3 computer. and a 300 mhz laptop. (and my beloved J720! ) on my laptop, Firefox is unbearable. the P3 is better, but....
what's this hype... firefox is just a resource hog. just take a look at IE/Opera's system requirements and then at Firefox's. and you'll see. as if MS had written Firefox... lol

The primary thrust of the US Justice Dept action against Microsoft was over Illegal Monopoly practices involving Internet Explorer & Outlook. A few factors militated against effective prosecution of Gates and Microsoft. 1) MS has a big legal department that is always on a war footing since Gates resorts a lot to law bending and violating (according to many accusers and past suits) to gain and maintain industry dominance. Even after spending 10s of millions of tax payer money, the only real thing Justice got for consumers was forcing MS to make it possible in Win. XP (all future versions of MS operating systems) to remove IE (& Outlook)
as default and make another brower default browser.

You must go into control panel >>add\remove programs>> click on Firefox (Opera or soon to be released firefox based Netscape) then, look to left side of the window. At the bottom of a string of icons, click the last one. You then remove IE as default, make Firefox default. You can also remove an even more inferior program Outlook & make Thunderbird (free) your default email-news reader.

The process takes a few minutes. You will notice a Firefox and Thunderbird speed up. Click IE, after this, and you will notice how long it takes IE to load and be ready.

MS licensed Mosaic from its owner and built IE around Mosaic, after approaching the Netscape youngsters about a "deal": They stop making Netscape for Windows and MS makes IE only for Windows. Not being idiots, the youngsters said "no way". Gates said: 'we will destroy you', which he did by: 1) embedding IE into Windows making it faster than any other Windows browser could ever be & including it free 2) threatened manufacturers with revoking their Windows licenses if they did not stop loading Netscape with new PCs. (for a few months last year Dell offered on their website to load Linux on request. Suddenly, techs were not allowed to even assist Dell owners with Linux and Dell posted the MS ordered promo "Dell Recommends Windows XP"

Enter a talented 14 year-old talented, the author of Firefox, who began writing code to deal with the security & spam problems that arose with his parents new AOL account. His "fixes" were very effective. The Netscape crew wrote & released free of charge new browser Mozilla (significantly superior to IE). Next, Netscape learned of a teenager's efforts to create a new browser (Firefox) and offered Mozzila base code and other assistance. The Firefox author is now 19.

Firefox is modular like Linux kernel and Linux Distribution Operating Systems. It does not have the bloat that is IE and Windows and all major Windows applications. This makes Firefox trim, slim and fast. Firefox was not made with pre-XP systems in mind and IE is embedded in 98, ME & 2000, so it will start up faster than Firefox or Opera.

A lot depends on which version of Opera you run. It has been around a long time. Of course, an older version of Opera running on an older PC with a pre-XP OS is going to seem faster than September released Firefox. But Opera is also not as secure as Firefox 1.xx

Opera suffers from bloat, just like IE, but it is much more secure.

On older systems with older versions of Windows run Mozilla instead. It is vastly more secure than any version of IE

--Bruised
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 8