x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

The sidekick is here... Smartphone 2003!

takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-02-01 4:40 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I finally got it! Yes it's the Mio 8390, running Windows Mobile 2003 for Smartphone.
http://www.mio-tech.com/products/phone/8390/

Ok I'm obviously excited about the phone But a review of that might belong to Off Topic instead.

Let's concentrate on what we all care about... working with our HPC! Since the phone has no bluetooth (unfortunately), I'm only talking about the infrared. Oh and remind you that I'm using a Jornada 728, running HPC2000. One thing tho: since both devices have their infrared port on the back of their base, I had to angle their lids upwards, so to get the ports closer. A little awkward at first, but hey what can you do?

Here's the rundown of what I tried so far:

Contacts:
- From HPC to SP ok, but only single contact. If I select more than one contact (shift + down) and send, the SP only gets the first one on the list. Might be a problem if you want to send a lot of contacts this way.
- From SP to HPC also ok. I can only select one contact at a time anyway, so it's sent one at a time too.
- Contacts are simply duplicated. There's no merging of existing contacts in the recieving device.

Schedule:
- From HPC to SP ok... but again only on single occurance event. Events with multiple occurances are simply ignored by the SP. That's a pretty bad problem IMO.
- Events are also duplicated. You can end up having two overlapping events. So if you want to update an event that exists on both devices, I guess you have to delete one first, update it on the other device, then send it over.

Tasks:
- From HPC to SP, single task, ok.

That's all for now. BTW all the above were done with the standard "Send (non-Windows)" option. I tried the Send options from the PowerToys but none of those worked (Is it for PC Windows?).

I will keep trying other stuff; like sending the pictures taken with the phone!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-01 7:42 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Great work!

It's useful to know for the future.
How about sending files using Windows CE Explorer?
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2005-02-01 11:32 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

A nice writeup. I've just plugged for an XDA IIs as my "phone", which is a PocketPC 2003 SE Phone Edition... I'm liking it so far, mostly just to annoy Chris

I'll write an interoperability/thoughts post when I get a chance.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 11