x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Viewing desktop computer remotely

Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-07-15 12:08 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Success!!!!

After multiple trial and error attempts, I have discovered a method to use the remote desktop viewing/manipulation ability of "I'm In Touch" software.

Here is how to make it work on a Mobilepro 900C.

When offered the choice, select the ARM3 processor. This will transfer the cewrapper.exe to your Mobilepro. You will have to specify the folder (sub-directory for installation). I selected the \TEMP folder as that is the pocketpc default.

Now, go to that folder and run the cewrapper.exe. It will create the rdskviewCE.exe file. This is for pocketpcs however, not the Mobilepro 900C and it has the wrong cpu identifier and will error it attempted to run. So I copied the rdskviewCE.exe file to my desktop and using a hex editor, changed two occurances of the hex string 93040080 to 29000080. This is the code for ARM HPC devices in general. I then saved the file and copied it back to the Mobilepro, overwriting the original.

I also didn't want to have to download the cewrapper.exe file in the temp every time I decided to use remote desktop services, so I changed it to read-only status.

Now I just log onto normal web site: https://locator.01com.com and go to through the login process. After going to the home page I just exit my browser (leaving it open to maintain the connection) and go to the temp folder.

I then run cewrapper...lo and behold, a full screen window opens up showing my desktop computer. And I am able to view and manipulate all the desktop files without problems. To simulate a right-click on an HPC, you hold down the right ALT key while clickin on the icon. I did that with the "My Computer" icon and opened up the properties...and you can see it in the screen capture below.

By the way, the drop down menu works fine for all functions, including exiting the desktop back to the normal IE window.

Edited by Rich Hawley 2006-07-15 12:11 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-07-15 1:28 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

just one little correction: 93040080 isn't for the cpu identifier, it is a function called in coredll.dll which is missing in coredll on the 900c.

nice screenshot, though why is it better than the plain rdp? i can scroll around in that too if i choose so, not seeing any other advantage, can you list the items / functions in the menu?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-07-15 4:28 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Hey, thanks for correcting me Monica...I didn't know that stuff...I am relying on you to teach me as I go along.

As far as plain rdp...haven't learned how to do that yet...but maybe you'll tell me how. Will it work with any version of Windows desktop?

Rich
 Top of the page
iliesse Page Icon Posted 2006-07-15 7:16 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hi, could you attach the edited CE wrapper file to your post. See if it works for Jornada's
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-07-15 10:07 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

well you need xp pro, i forgot that requirement. or win2000 pro or 2000 or 2003 server. or whatever
if you have xp pro it is really easy to set it up. go to control panel on the pc, go to system and then remote tab and there it will be self explanatory.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-07-16 8:55 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Oh...well then I'm out of luck cause I don't have XP pro....but it does work on both my regular XP home desktop and my Windows 98 desktop. Heck, I had my father-in-law down in Gulfport, Mississippi install it on his desktop which is an old Packard Bell P266 and was surprised to see I could view his desktop. This is going to make life easier the next time he has problems with some files or using some programs.

I know I could have used something like PCAnywhere to do the same thing...

Iliesse, go to the 01com.com website and download and install the software...it is a free trial and see what happens. I doubt my modified program will work for you because during the install it "reads" the hardware of the pocketpc to set the defaults by creating a new .exe file. It is that created file that you have to modify, and mine would be far different than your J720.

I'd bet there is too much difference between HPC2000 and the software. I just got lucky because CE.NET is a little newer, but you never know until you try.

Rich
 Top of the page
Francus Page Icon Posted 2006-08-18 1:56 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

There is also Gotomypc.com by Citrix that works on my netbook pro. I'm in touch" is making a patent lawsuit against Citrix, so suppose should be very similar software.

Gotomypc worked, without any hacking, with the help of Cmonex, who helped me installing java Netfront. Without Netfront, with the java software preinstalled in the netbook pro it worked partially, but some of the on-screen java controls did not show up
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-08-18 6:30 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Correction there. RDP compatibility is with:
-NT4 Server TSE
-Windows 2000 Server/Advanced Server/DCE
-Windows XP Pro/MCE
-Windows 2003/2003 R2
-Windows Vista
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-08-18 9:13 PM
#
H/PC Elder

does RDP work with XP Tablet, UMPC, and XP Media Center?
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 11