x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

A confession ...

1 2 3 4 5 6
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2005-02-06 8:24 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Snappy, It's cool a netbsd's working on your mips h/pc! I've always wanted to do that... (I have to get a large size CF first!)

Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2005-02-06 8:30 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

once you get a netbsd working, there'll be lots of server programs you can run, so it'll be cool..

DHCP server
name server
NIS server
NFS Server
PPP Server
NTP server
Time Server
Mail server (Postfix)
sendmail
ppml
Open SSH
TCP wrpper
PKI (What's that?)

etc.

a link i found on making all those servers on netbsd.
http://www.ann.hi-ho.ne.jp/wave/pbsd_hpcmips/

Good Luck!
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-07 9:11 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Hi Stingraze, yes it would be cool ... once I get it to install without coredumping!!

I'm kinda giving up on using a 2nd CF to mount. I've tried practically all permutations and it just keep hanging. Or else it gives the sickening "TLB out of universe" error which is not that much better than a "General Protection Fault (GPF)" if you ask me!

Then sometimes it dumps to debugger mode and I'm like ... "So what happened??" .. no clue or inkling whatsoever. Sure, I can do a dmesg and see the output log and current state of the stack pointers, registers etc, but hey, why would an average user want to dabble with all these??

Again, I must say, while we all like to poke at M$ for being a Monopoly, sometimes I wonder, even if they are a Monopoly, did anyone bestow Monopolyship on them or did they earn it the hard way? I think they earn it rightfully by making their products (OS + Apps) work. Sure, 20% (or less) of users experience nuances on first try, but most people are ok with Windows doing normal things.

ok, enough ranting.

An update:
I kinda pinpoint the coredumps to base.tgz finally. If I choose only kernel-GENERIC.tgz and etc.tgz for download via FTP and untar them, they complete successfully. Unfortunately a base install requires at least base.tgz in addition to these two files. Otherwise, it would fail a basic sanity check. I initially read it as Sanenity check!! hahaha ... I was going to go insane with all the coredumps alright!!

But once I download base.tgz (which completes rather smoothly via my wifi card thru FTP), it automatically retries the untarring process for the 20th over times I've tried for the past 2 days!! ... I wish they have a prompt after all tgz files are downloaded to give users an option to save the current downloaded files or the installation image before untarring and crashing!! That way at least we can fix the buggy package and resume thereafter.

oh, and if you think Windows is unstable, each time I encounter the coredump and I reset the system, somehow the ffs partition becomes practically unmountable and unstable if I manage to mount it!!

But having said that, I'm using NetBSD2.0, and it never guarantee that it *will* work. ... and given that the last update 1.6.2 was in April last year, and 2.0 released in Dec, I might only get something up a few months later ... I'm just not about to start installing NetBSD on the common PC just to debug the OS and get it running on my MP790.

oh the other frustrating thing is this. I've read like 5 threads about how others are getting TLBs or coredump with exactly the same symptoms, and all we ever get back is "I installed 1.6.2 successfully on my MP780" or "2.0 works just fine on my machine", without outlining what different steps they might have taken. Good Grief!! Whatever happen to the OpenSource Comaraderie??

ok, will try maybe today or tomorrow ... maybe I'll get lucky!
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-09 9:46 AM
#
H/PC Elder

ok ... Good News ... and Bad News ....

GoodNews:
I finally got base install working last night before I slept. kernl-GENERIC.tgz, base.tgz and etc.tgz installed without a hitch. I restarted my MP790 and rebooted NetBSD using netbsd-GENERIC.gz and it went into the netbsd partition, I got into root and stuff.

BadNews:
I was gonna add in packages like X11 etc when I somehow lock myself out!!! arrgghh .... I changed the password for root and then when I tried to relogin, my password failed!!!

Must be getting tired by then!! hahaha

But at least I know it works! ... albeit in that 1 in N permutation ... now I must try to recall that permutation!!

I wasn't at the computer room last night, so I had no webcam to take screenshots.
Will update with screen shot when I get X11 up. ie if I get that permutation!
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-12 7:00 PM
#
H/PC Elder

*Moved from new thread*

Just an update on the NetBSD status ...

I'm kinda stopping for a few days (or weeks!! )

Here's what another chap wrote on the newsgroup ... it kinda expresses my sentiment ...

>I have just given up trying to install it on my MobilePro 790, I think unless you're a >NETBSD genius, its too full of problems to ever get going. It has to be the hardest >installation ever. I was really looking forward to getting it working.

I have not given up yet ... but gotta take a break
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-15 10:49 PM
#
H/PC Elder

alright, I got the full NetBSD package installed into my MP790!!

Now trying to start up the X11 server ... they just dun make it any easier for you ...

(Note to self: Microsoft deserves all the $$$ its raking in for making a GUI OS a reality back in 1995 for the masses ... )
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2005-02-16 5:05 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

O/T:
Microsoft deserves all the $$$ its raking in for making a GUI OS a reality back in 1995 for the masses

Could I point you at the Apple Mac, or possibly the Commodore Amiga? I know more about the amiga, and it supported pre-emptive multi-tasking with a full WIMP interface in 1985; it's celebrating its 20th anniversary this year

Back on topic

When I get a spare few days, I will be trying this on the 720. Shame that it seems less well supported, but most of the development effort on the small *nix OSs on ARM seem to focus naturally on the PocketPC form factor. It can't be that difficult to hack to to work
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-16 8:49 AM
#
H/PC Elder

chiark - 2005-02-16 3:05 AM

Could I point you at the Apple Mac, or possibly the Commodore Amiga? I know more about the amiga, and it supported pre-emptive multi-tasking with a full WIMP interface in 1985; it's celebrating its 20th anniversary this year

... knew someone would point this out. Matter of fact, back in the mid80s when I started coding on the Apple and pre-XT machines, books on GUI were mainly on Apple and Amiga. But the key word was *masses* ... sure, we can go on about how M$ conned its way through on the PCDOS deal with IBM to gain mass market or that it used its mass market to win the OS and browser war. Never mind how M$ did it, but they did it, brought the GUI interface to the masses. Is it any one else's fault that Apple refused to license out its platform and in the end loose out to IBM/MS team?

OT: Talking about Apple, its SpotLight search feature reminds me of the Global Find feature we have in Palm OS since the very first Pilot (or was it?). I write for Palm platform as well, and responding to the Global Find system call is built in as a system message where developers can choose to search their pdb files and return search results seamlessly.

chiark - 2005-02-16 3:05 AM

Back on topic

When I get a spare few days, I will be trying this on the 720. Shame that it seems less well supported, but most of the development effort on the small *nix OSs on ARM seem to focus naturally on the PocketPC form factor. It can't be that difficult to hack to to work

I think you can refer to www.netbsd.org/port/hpcarms for info. Yes, I see that there seem to be lesser uptake for hpcarms ... let me know how it goes.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-16 7:48 PM
#
H/PC Elder

guys ... light is at the end of the tunnel!! ...

I've got NetBSD 1.6.2 installed and setup ... here's a screenshot ... will get dillo installed and post new screenshots!

(NetBSD1.6.2_1.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments NetBSD1.6.2_1.JPG (11KB - 115 downloads)
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2005-02-17 4:00 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

sweet...
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-17 7:34 PM
#
H/PC Elder

hi all,

Got Dillo0.8.0 running a few minutes ago ... here's 2 screenshots ...

somehow hpcfactor.com was not available earlier ... so its the 2nd shot! ... will try hotmail and yahoo and google later and see if the dhcp goes through ... cranky dhclient on 1.6.2 ... or my linux is really rusty ... think its the latter!!

(dillo1.jpg)

(dillo2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments dillo1.jpg (13KB - 101 downloads)
Attachments dillo2.jpg (12KB - 107 downloads)
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-17 7:40 PM
#
H/PC Elder

oh btw, did I say that dillo is FAST? ... now I just need to get my dhcp to work proper and the other sites should start showing up soon ...
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-17 8:21 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Tough cookies ...

From my post in netbsd.hpcmips newsgroup ...

ok ... I like to do things the *right* way too ... but there is this saying about a well-sighted man is the freak in the land of one-eye jacks!

This Self-Righteous cookie handling in Dillo0.8.0 is refusing to accept and store cookies because these toughie cookies "isn't RFC-2965 compliant." Good grief!

For pete's sake, if 90% of web users are using a browser that is not RFC-2965 (yet!) maybe we should handle it with a warning instead of just refusing to handle it? Or maybe have a flag so that self-righteous toughie cookie users can choose to refuse these mAlfoRMed cooKies while the 90% one-eye jacks can choose to accept these cookies.

And the bad news is sometimes dillo crashes or hangs on certain sites!!

well ... on the bright side, its still beta ... and its fast! hehee ... but like I said in another thread, I rather have one proper working app/browser that is a bit slow than have a blazing app that is not working! ... the former gets the job done in due time ... the former lets you know it died real fast!
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-02-18 12:40 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

FreeBSD is working on an arm version for their next release, which I believe is planned for 2006.

-Too long to wait haha. Congratulations Snappy! Ya got BSD on your 790! ...now my turn
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-18 1:53 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Gee ... thx! ... its right now sitting safely in a 512MB flash waiting for bootup!

dillo has great potential to bring life to the MP700s but it needs some time to come up to track with the current websites that are more often than not, IE compliant than RFC compliant. Granted, with Firefox eating away IE's share (current @90%), MS might try to make IE more compat with RFC specs, but I doubt it will happen soon.

There is supposed to be an IE7.0 to be released and available to XPSP2 users. Currently in Beta, I don't think its going to go the way of RFC compat. LoooooongHorn in 2006 sure would not go back track either, else many pro-MS sites will just break. That will be like the Win2k boo boo with its fix of improper mem alloc/dealloc and 16/32bit ptr usage etc, Win2k broke enough apps that MS setup a team of SDE/STE/SDTE to launch a AppCompat "solution", in order to help existing NT3.51/4.0 and other users (mainly corporate) migrate. My guess is that they won't do that for the web, since they are @90%... but if it dips to say 70% ... hehe

Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5 6
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.222 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 14