x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

nabob Page Icon Posted 2006-08-04 1:59 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I just purchased a Jornado 720 on ebay and am now trying to get my used Orinoco Gold to connect to my WiFi network. The Orinoco senses the network but I can't access the Internet. I've checked the Lucent, Agere and the current owner of the Orinoco brand, Proxim, but haven't been able to locate a step by step procedure as to how to set up the Jornada to get on the Internet. Obviously my knowledge of networks is pretty limited. Can anyone help.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-08-04 2:45 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

First of all, we need to know which of those companies made your card. Second, have you checked the Hardware Compatibility List on this site? Under each of those brand names, there is a card listed, and driver download links are there.
 Top of the page
nabob Page Icon Posted 2006-08-04 3:04 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

The card wase made by Lucent. I checked the compatability chart before I purchased the card and it was recommended. I can't be sure, but I think the driver is OK but I suspect I'm overlooking something in setting it up. Unfortunately, the card came without any documentation or manuals.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-08-04 3:49 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

First, go to Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Network.

Look for an Agere wireless driver listed among the network drivers on the device. (The Agere driver is used for H/PC 2000.) Tap on that name.

Then tap on "Obtain an IP address via DHCP." (This assumes that your wireless router is DHCP-enabled. If it isn't, then you'll have to contact your Internet service provider to get a correct IP address.)

Close that window. You're now looking at the "Network Configuration" window again.

Tap on the "Identification" tab. Enter the name of your wireless network, your password, and your Internet service provider's domain name (ie, its Web address; mine, for example, is verizon.net). Close this window.

Now insert the ORiNOCO card. Then, in the Control Panel screen, tap on "Wireless Network." In the window that opens, be sure that the profile name entered is "Default." Now tap on "Edit." The network type given should be "Access Point." (If not, select this in the "Network Type" drop-down list.) Tap "Next." then tap on the "Scan" button next to the network name box. Look for your network name and tap on it. The next two pages are optional settings for encryption and power management (the latter to reduce battery drain). You can set them however you wish, but if you choose to set encryption, you'll need to remember the code you choose to enter. You can also skip them for now and change those settings later without affecting the other settings you've just completed. Tap "Finish" in the second window and then close the window.

Now try accessing the Internet again. If you still can't connect, then remove the card, soft-reset the 720, re-insert the card, and try again.

Hope this is helpful.

Edited by CE Geek 2006-08-04 3:55 PM
 Top of the page
nabob Page Icon Posted 2006-08-04 4:51 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks. I'll try your instructions and let you know.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-08-04 6:15 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

wow CE Geek this agere must be a strange card. why does it require a password & ISP name?

and why would one call the ISP to get an IP address if the router isn't dhcp enabled? that's the router's job, not the ISP's.
 Top of the page
nabob Page Icon Posted 2006-08-09 10:25 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I've fiddled with this thing off and on for the past five days and still can't access the internet. I followed your instructions and when I go to Programs and click on Agere Client a window appears with the following info:

Client: Ready
Network: Default
Connection: Excellent
BS: [00-13-46-16-38-18]
Channel: 1
Encryption: WEP Encryption

Am I correct when I assume that the Jornada is connected to the Wi-Fi network? I try to access the Internet with the installed Internet Explorer and I get the message "A connection with the server could not be established" I've tried several different entries in Internet Explorer but can't seem to find the right combination. Any suggestions?

Thanks again for you help.
 Top of the page
Jax184 Page Icon Posted 2006-08-09 7:20 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

See the WEP encryption? Did you enter your WEP key? If not, it won't work.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-08-09 10:56 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

WEP encryption is not necessary to make a connection AFAIK. Have you tried soft-resetting the 720 as described above?
 Top of the page
Britty
Britty Page Icon Posted 2006-08-10 8:05 AM
#
It sounds like you are using a browser as your internet connection test bench so.....I'm going to be blatantly obvious and ask have you made sure your browser setting isn't trying to connect via a proxy or something.

Edited by Britty 2006-08-10 8:06 AM
 Top of the page
nabob Page Icon Posted 2006-08-10 8:07 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Yes, I did a soft reset with no change. Also removed the encryption requirement, soft reset and still no change.
 Top of the page
nabob Page Icon Posted 2006-08-10 8:25 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I'm still a recent enrolee in Internt/networking 101 so can't be sure if I committed the dastardly deed you suggested. OE on the Jornada doesn't allow for many options that I could find, but under options, I did have "Use Proxy Server" checked.
 Top of the page
Britty
Britty Page Icon Posted 2006-08-10 8:39 AM
#
Do not use proxy server

Then try again
 Top of the page
Britty
Britty Page Icon Posted 2006-08-10 10:20 AM
#
Any luck with this?
 Top of the page
nabob Page Icon Posted 2006-08-10 12:56 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

No luck. It could very well be that I don't know how to set up Outlook Express on the Jornada.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.480 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 10