x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

900--->900C

Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-02-04 11:33 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

If you haven't seen it yet...take a look

http://www.yourmobiledesk.com/products/proddetail.cfm?prodID=5570

Rich
 Top of the page Quote Reply
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-04 6:40 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Now ... this is NEAT!
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-04 7:27 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I posted your info on the front page a little while ago, thanks Rich.
Andrew
Andrew Page Icon Posted 2005-02-08 4:04 AM
#
I've just emailed them to ask what applications come bundled with the ROM upgrade. If it includes the apps that come with the 900C then I'll be keen to upgrade. If it's just a pure OS upgrade then you really have to think through what you lose from HPC2000.

That said, HPC2000 is starting to look and feel pretty old when you switch from an XP or WM2003 machine back to the HPC. But I wouldn't be without my MobilePro

Will post whatever response I get from the folk at yourmobiledesk.

Cheers
Andrew
Andrew Page Icon Posted 2005-02-14 3:37 PM
#
Well, in answer to the query 'what's in the ROM upgrade?' I got this:

"I have been in contact with NEC about you query. As soon as the reply with an answer, I can have that forwarded to you. "

So it's obviously just the standard NEC ROM upgrade being sold by yourmobiledesk (thanks a lot NEC....).

And shipping to the UK?

"The UPS WORLDWIDE EXPEDITED Shipping cost would be $60.96. We also can mail the package to you, but please understand we are not the manufacture for the product we are the distributors, so the item would have to be shipped to our facility and mailed by us, since NEC does not ship outside of the United States. The cost for the United States Postal Service for Express Mail is $40.25."

So it all adds up in terms of cost, but given the 900C retails for £709.95 in the UK maybe it's not so bad.

Will wait and see what's in the ROM but I can feel my Visa getting uneasy....
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-02-14 3:44 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Andrew,

What is in the ROM upgrade is simply an image of what is exactly being sold as the 900C. Everything the 900C comes with is part of the upgrade, exactly as you see at my site...nothing extra, nothing less.

Rich
Guyturf Page Icon Posted 2005-02-17 2:52 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Greetings all,

I'm seriously considering making the switch/upgrade from my 780 to the 900, but I wanted to know, hear or see pro's and cons between the HPC 2000 and the ce.net versions.

I understand the basics like having a viewer only in apps in ce.net, but in practice I'm wondering about performance and other issues like hardware compatibility.

I'm looking for the subjective opinions of those who have used either or both and which you would recommend.

I've seen feature lists, and it almost seems like the hpc2000 gives more in working apps, but the ce.net is better for media?

Let me know please!

Thanks
Guyturf
Andrew
Andrew Page Icon Posted 2005-02-17 2:54 PM
#
Rich, thanks for that - and as you say; here is the response from yourmobiledesk:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you advise what software comes with this upgrade?

The upgrade includes only the software that would be distributed with the MP900C. A summarized list of the software is below. Please see the MP900C datasheet (attached) for more information,

• Microsoft CE.NET 4.2 operating system

• Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 for Windows CE

• Microsoft Windows Media 9 Series

• Calendar, Schedule, Tasks, Spreadsheet editor (custom developed by NECSAM)

• BSQUARE bBackup and bFAX

• Citrix ICA Client

• MobilePro Synchronization System Client

Do you bundle the additional software that the MobilePro 900C comes with, eg. Office viewers, PIM, etc?

see above

Or is it a pure OS upgrade in which case HPC2000 users would lose all the other applications?

HPC2000 users WILL lose all applications. The internal disk is formatted during the upgrade, and the unit is loaded as if it were a fresh MP900C from the factory. Please see the warnings in the attached Release Notes for the MP900C upgrade.

And can the software be accessed in the UK? Yes

I'm happy enough with that and will be ordering the upgrade (wife/Visa allowing) so will let you know how the process goes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And thanks for HPCNEC.com - it's a great/helpful site.

Cheers

Andrew
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-17 5:13 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Andrew,

Thanks for the details, I have posted it in the news section.
SSL Page Icon Posted 2005-02-22 12:27 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

sorry for straight and silly question - what's the advantage of upgrading Nec Mobile 900 to 900c - is it worth 140$ they charge for the CD?
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-02-22 4:28 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Tought question / easy answer:

If your 900 does everything you need it to do...then no, it is not worth it at all. I've heard from at least one person who said it totally screwed up his 900 resulting in a dimmer screen and other problems. Hopefully he is the exception. One unit I upgraded worked perfectly and came out working wonderfully.

If however you need a more robust version of Internet Explorer or any of the other features of WinCE.Net 4.2, then you have to go with the upgrade, understanding that you in turn lose many of the features of the CE3.0 OS, such as the Pocket Office applications.

The upgrade is not really a matter of is it a good deal for the money, rather it is a matter of one either needs the newer OS or does not.

Rich
Sergei
Sergei Page Icon Posted 2005-02-23 11:56 AM
#
Hi Rich!
Thanks for the respond.
Well, that's a tough question - I do need Word, Excel and Access on my Nec 900. I have not tried IE yet, but some sites do not let logon if IE does not have proper security update patches.
I wonder if Microsoft can give the security patches for the EI on NEc 900?
Is there any way to roll back from 900c to 900?
Can MS Office be installed after 900c upgrade?
Thanks for your time and help!
Regards
Sergei
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-23 3:04 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

In the Windows CE world Patches, updates etc are in the domain of the OEM and not Microsoft. I have never heard of one consumer OEM who issued a QFE release of any CE version prior to 4.2, certainly not HPC2000.

Pocket Office is part of the HPC2000 platform and isn't a standalone application. If you move to 4 you will loose it completly and will be looking at needing a couple of hundred £ of reinvestment to buy up third party applications to do the same jobs.
surrealmonk Page Icon Posted 2005-02-24 7:43 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Although it doesn't come with full Pocket Office, it does come with Wordpad and a Spreadsheet app from NEC to compensate. I haven't really tried em out as I don't do much office work on my HPC, but from what I understand, they should help fill in the gap. If you use your HPC extensively for word processing and spreadsheets, though, you may want to stick with HPC2K for the time being.
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 59 - Executed queries : 18