x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Auto-Install a Network Connection

Montrosaur
Montrosaur Page Icon Posted 2006-08-07 11:51 AM
#
This a 2 part issue:

I have developed several successful CAB files in the past for installations for our users, but I seem to be having trouble with this one. Basically everything works fine, but I need to add a Network Configuration setting to the installation for a CDMA modem. I need to do this without the end-user having to go into "Network Connections" via the "Control Panel" (They can't access it). I tried manually inserting the registry settings into the CAB file from another identical computer hoping that this would solve the problem in a back-door sort of manner and it does to a certain point. The connection is displayed, but all the modem selection options are gone such "Hayes Compatible on COM1:"

The next problem I have is when copying the full registry over to another computer via the CAB installation. I get the message "This is not a valid Windows CE Setup". I know this problem is related to the overwriting of the registry because once I remove the registry entries from the CAB file, everything works fine.

So I guess what I'm tring to say is "Does anyone know a way to setup a new network configuration setting via the registry, so I can enter in the specific keys?" I don't need the exact keys, I just need the affected registry entries.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-08-07 12:48 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Are you currently attempting to insert specific key/values, or the entire registry hive?

Additionally what copy hex code are you specifying for the cab setup?
 Top of the page
Montrosaur
Montrosaur Page Icon Posted 2006-08-07 12:55 PM
#
I began with copying the entire registry hive and I am using "process of elimination" by eliminating registry keys to see if I can determine which one is causing the "This is not a valid Windows CE setup" message and also figure out which ones are related to network configurations.

As far as the "copy hex code" specification... I have to admit I am unfamiliar with this. I have been using WinCE CAB Manager to generate the CAB files.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-08-07 1:30 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I don't recommend that you copy entire hives cross device, you'll screw up more than you achieve.

If you are copying a dial-up style setting, then the information you want is beneath HKCU\Comm\RasBook

If it is in the DRIVER layer, it'll be HKLM\Drivers

If it is a Modem Setting it'll be:
HKLM\ExtModems
 Top of the page
Montrosaur
Montrosaur Page Icon Posted 2006-08-07 1:56 PM
#
I copied those keys over and the problem seems to be solved. I was missing the HKLM\Drivers entries. after importing these I got rid of everything else and everything works great! This will save me MUCH time troubleshooting these portable computers in the future. Thank you soooooo much for your help!!!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-08-07 2:14 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Pleased to be of service.

Can I ask what device(s) you are using?
 Top of the page
Montrosaur
Montrosaur Page Icon Posted 2006-08-07 2:52 PM
#
We are using Digital Dispatch iPilot 8000's with Windows CE.NET 4.20

http://www.digital-dispatch.com/english/html/interface/products_services/mobile_devices/ipilot8000/ipilot8000.asp

They are mobile computers installed in our contractor tow trucks used for the dispatching of our calls (I work in the Tech Support department at AAA). These devices have a bug where for some reason, the network connections are randomly removed leaving the unit useless as they start up in a kiosk type mode. I have been resolving this issue by having the unit sent to me. I then start it up in shell mode and manually enter the network settings via the control panel and send the unit back to the contractor. Well not that we have about 400 of these computers in the field, I simply don't have enough time to do this for every problem device, so I developed a CAB file that reinstalls the dispatching software and I was trying to add the network settings to the installation itself so that basic problems could be fixed in the field by overwriting the files. I had informed the developer that I felt this problem was with the registry. Unfortunately they could not reproduce the issue and neither could they. 6 months ago I knew absolutely nothing about Windows CE and now I'm learning more than I ever though possible!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-08-07 3:48 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Then I must compliment you on your learning curve and on your level headed apprach to solving the situation.

Welcome to the site, and good luck with your rollout!
 Top of the page
Montrosaur
Montrosaur Page Icon Posted 2006-08-07 6:02 PM
#
Thank you for the encouragement!!! And thanks for your help! I will definitely be visiting this site quite often. It is not only helpful, but I have found all the information to be well organized.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-08-08 2:30 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Why don't you register on HPC:Factor? It would be nice having a new user .. Welcome
 Top of the page
Montrosaur Page Icon Posted 2006-08-08 7:41 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I'm all registered... Thanks!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-08-08 8:10 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Welcome (formally) to the site.
 Top of the page