x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

FS [Global]: SmartBook G138

« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... Next »
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-08-16 2:16 AM
#
I really want one, I just can't justify the cost. Tuition is due soon.
it sucks! Oh man I want one!!!

Thats just what i was thinking...

I'm not breaking boxes up, once all of the demo/display units are go it'll just be new units that are left. In actual fact, right now I'm looking at having just one of those left at the moment.

Fair enough, no problem.

why do you want to run the ppc version? huhh theres a hpc version as well!

Yes, but the version i own is for PPC. They wouldnt let me migrate to a HPC version (and i definatly cant afford a new license as well). But, if its got Wordpad then it doesnt matter anyway

Keep at least one jornada. Trust me.

I cant type reliably on them, and the DSTN screen is a bit of a problem. Any particular reason why i should keep one? Do you know something we dont?

I'll think about it for now...

Edited by chazco 2006-08-16 2:19 AM
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-08-16 3:13 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Hey nicely done C:Amie... now everyone's interested in this device again.

I can tell you this has been a very nice machine for me as well. I used to carry it with me all the time, because it really gives you close to desktop browsing experience in a very small package. It's not quite as small as a Jornada; just a bit smaller than a Mobile Pro. The screen does make a world of difference. Speaking of which, yes playing movies on it is a treat.

I also have the Chinese (Simplified) CE 4.1 ROM if anyone wants it. I'll glady upload it to C:Amie if it helps his sales
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-08-16 7:30 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Ceya,

I'm a Brit too you realise, these are UK OK. I haven't actually battery benchmarked one yet, I shall prime one a few times and go for it. May be Takwu can give a real-world figure too.

That is why I thought you were asking re: textmaker. I'm sure it'll probably run with the 'usual' mods.

Takwu,

I aim to please As Takwu says. Movies are very good on it, it is easy to approach it underestimating its CPU.

I'm going to pillage cmonex's ROM store too, she has some of the other lang versions. If you are willing to send it, I'd be greatful for it. I'll let people pull it from us for a bit
 Top of the page
anrus
anrus Page Icon Posted 2006-08-16 9:06 AM
#
anrus - 2006-08-15 4:40 PM

What is price and condition of non-accessory unit?

C:Amie, excuse me for my bad English. I had a prekind "How much price only one Smartbook G138 with Slylus, without other accessories?".
 Top of the page
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2006-08-16 9:26 AM
#
H/PC Elite

C:Amie - 2006-08-16 7:30 AM

Ceya,

I'm a Brit too you realise, these are UK OK. I haven't actually battery benchmarked one yet, I shall prime one a few times and go for it. May be Takwu can give a real-world figure too.

That is why I thought you were asking re: textmaker. I'm sure it'll probably run with the 'usual' mods.

I didn't ask a question. I think this was for somebody else.

S/F,
CEYA!

Edited by Ceya 2006-08-16 9:27 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-08-16 9:44 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

lol, sorry, I meant chazco

anrus, I may nt have any more, PM me and I'll check when I get home.
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-08-16 10:12 AM
#
Found an old post by Takwu stating 3/4 hours battery life under non-gprs usage.

Thanks, but I dont think i'll be getting one, as much as i want one, at least not just yet (i plan to go to university at the end of next year, so have £9000 of tution fees to find ).
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-08-16 10:16 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

you mean 45 minutes?!? or 3 or 4 hours?

wow chazco, uni is that expensive there?
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-08-16 12:26 PM
#
3 or 4 hours

University costs a fortune here. My tution fees will be a little over £10000 (just worked it out), plus living costs and so on for four years. I'll start a thread in GD later since this is going off-topic.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-08-16 12:47 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

UK Tuition fees are fully subsidised by the SLC, and you don't need to pay it back until after your course and once you're earning £15,000. You don't actually need to find it while you're doing it. You also get Student loans, bursaries and maintenance grants/loans. I assume you're doing an MA if you are going in for 4 years? Having a nice H/PC at uni would be useful I'm sure lol

3 to 4 hours, 45 min would have been "3/4 hour"

cmonex, in the UK, since Tony "Such a great man" Blair came in, students leave uni with on average £21,000 debt. 9,000 for tuition, 9,000 for the maintenance loan and a few thousand over-drawn elsewhere. Before Blair, it was free.
Next year that will all go up, and the year after, and the year after that and so on.

The loans are interest free, and you don't pay them back until you're earning £15,000 a year, and they will expire one day too. They do rise with inflation though, so it isn't a free for all.
The sad thing is that so many people can't actuall cope with it, there have been a number of suicides (sorry your probably didn't want to hear that Chazco), but it looks good to the governments accounts, so hell, why not saddle your youth with astronomical debts before they've even started out - oh, and price them out of the housing market so that they'll never be able to afford a place to live. woo hoo, UK!
 Top of the page
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2006-08-17 7:49 AM
#
H/PC Elite

chazco - 2006-08-16 2:16 AM

Keep at least one jornada. Trust me.

I cant type reliably on them, and the DSTN screen is a bit of a problem. Any particular reason why i should keep one? Do you know something we dont?

I'll think about it for now...

No, It just a awesome computer for its size. I could do almost anything one it. school work, print wireless - irfrared, record - sound is excellent, earphone jack is normal size., microsoft office and again small form factor.

S/F,
CEYA!
 Top of the page
theodouma Page Icon Posted 2006-08-17 9:47 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

It is very dificult. The smartbook looks great! Only the price

edit:

Which device is better? The 6651 or the G138? Or what are the benefits of the G138 above the 6651?

Edited by theodouma 2006-08-17 10:44 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-08-17 4:46 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The G138 has native 800/1600 GPRS and performs phone and SMS functions, the 6651 cannot.
The 6651 has the little camera, the G138 does not.
The G138 is ARM (Extra software availability & PPC Hack options) not MIPS as the 6651, has 4x the RAM and a larger ROM by 8MB.
The 6651 can run in tablet mode, the G138 cannot.

The 6651 is a HPC Pro / HPC2000 device, the G138 is a CE 4.1 or 4.2 device and could likely be made up to CE5/6. Whether that is good or bad is really down to personal taste, so I couldn't advise you. Communications wise and Internet wise CE4 is better. No Pocket Excel or Access on CE4 though.
 Top of the page
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2006-08-19 9:32 PM
#
H/PC Elite

If anybody in the USA get one you can use Cingular data service SIM card with the G138.

S/F,
CEYA!

Edited by Ceya 2006-08-19 9:42 PM
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-08-20 12:17 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I believe C:Amie meant 900/1800 Mhz, just like mine, which is not compatible in North America (850/1900 Mhz). So potential buyers from this continent be aware. I am pretty sure it's compatible in Europe and Asia (the units are built in China and generally marketed in Europe), but not sure about the rest of the world. Check with your local GSM/GPRS providers to find out what frequecies are used.

Coxion used to sell a version of the unit with a tri-band module (900/1800/1900 Mhz I believe??) but I've never seen/heard of anyone who got one, and I don't know if Coxion still sells the tri-band version.
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.242 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 10