x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

1st day with HP360lx

1 2 3
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-08-19 10:57 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Stick the card in the Laptop
Go to My Computer
Right Click the driver letter
Format
File System : FAT (Not FAT32)
Allocation : Default
 Top of the page
quiche Page Icon Posted 2006-08-19 11:15 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I am working with Windows 98se and there is no option for choosing the file system. I will try my XP laptop.
 Top of the page
quiche Page Icon Posted 2006-08-19 11:38 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Did a hard reset on the device. Success. Now it synchs again with the laptop. Also re-formatted card in XP laptop and did it to FAT. No more long synchs.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-08-19 11:47 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Quiche--

Check your IR connection by installing Total Commander and trying to send a file via IROBEX. Even Windows 98 will at least be able to send to your machine.

Jake
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-08-19 1:04 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Windows 98, why didn't you say so. You need to ensure that the BIOS settings for the IR port are set to either SIR, FIR or HPIR (depending on available options).

The format under Windows 98 will automatically format the volume to FAT16 if it is under 512MB, but I I *think* 98 formats volumes between 256 and 512MB as 8K clustering, which CE wont like.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-08-19 1:16 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Chris,

Can Windows 98SE RECEIVE IROBEX files from HPC's? I can only find an option to send to HPCs and others, which it does without problem.

Jake
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-08-19 1:42 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Windows 98 can OBEX files across to other deivce. You will need a dedictated client like EzObex or an application like Total Commander to get the files across.

Under Windows 98, if you put a Mirror infront of the IrDA Lamp and get it to attempt to transmit (Check that is is transmitting in the Control Panel applet) it should give you an interference error. (It wont do this in later Windows releases).
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-08-19 2:28 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I see. But I've never been able to send files from an HPC to Windows 98 or 98SE. The OS doesn't seem able to receive, whereas I have no problem receiving IR-transmitted files with XP Pro.

Jake

Edited by Jake 2006-08-19 2:29 PM
 Top of the page
quiche Page Icon Posted 2006-08-19 4:03 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Loaded my card with the software I wanted - but the device would not read the card. Copied all the files into a folder on my XP desktop and my 98 laptop. Let the device format the card. After formatted by the HP360lx - the 98 laptop would not read the card, but my XP desktop did. Copied back the files onto the card - and voila - card is now back in the device and the device reads it.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-08-19 5:32 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It could be a protocol version of obex, or the irtrans on 98 is at fault.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-08-19 5:52 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

BTW, when you try synching via IR (I assume you went back to serial after the hard reset), make sure you've changed the "Connection Settings" in ActiveSync on the PC as well. My experience is that I have to restart the PC after changing the connection setting to IR in order to make a connection with the CE device. (Even then, once in a great while it may require more than one attempt. I usually use "PC Link" instead of "ActiveSync" on the device.)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-08-19 6:38 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I never have any problems with IR, I'm starting to think that I'm a special case because of all the quirks other people have reported over the years.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-08-19 6:47 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

It might be because I'm using a USB dongle, and it has been sharing the port with my Palm OS devices. (That's what I get for still using Palm OS from time to time.)
 Top of the page
quiche Page Icon Posted 2006-08-19 7:30 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I can get past the hard-resetting. I load a bunch of programs - then do a soft reset - and then find it has done a hard reset instead. The electricity is connected. Good batteries are in. The back-up battery was just installed. Therefore, it has full power. But it does a hard-reset. Urggghhhh!
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-08-19 7:36 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

C:Amie - 2006-08-19 4:38 PM

I never have any problems with IR, I'm starting to think that I'm a special case because of all the quirks other people have reported over the years.

You may well be. I have never been able to send a file--via IR--to a Windows 98 machine and have never figured out why.

Jake
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9