x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

1st day with HP360lx

1 2 3
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-08-19 8:27 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

quiche - 2006-08-19 4:30 PM

I can get past the hard-resetting. I load a bunch of programs - then do a soft reset - and then find it has done a hard reset instead. The electricity is connected. Good batteries are in. The back-up battery was just installed. Therefore, it has full power. But it does a hard-reset. Urggghhhh!

I've had that happen on a couple of my devices. (It's happened on my Phenom more than once.) I wish someone could give us a clue what causes that.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-08-20 1:25 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Like you, quiche, I have an HP 360LX, okay, it's not really an HP 360LX, it's a 360LX with a 320 or 300 screen.. I like it and it is nice to have a AA powered device.. I have yet to buy a wifi card though .. I have not had the reset problems as you have decribed, though...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-08-20 7:10 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It sounds like a syndrom localised to your device, I have never expereinced such a problem with the 300 series, and I have a lot of 300 series device floating around at home. I don't really know what to suggest to you, it could be any number of things.

I'm afraid that I do not have any Windows 9x installs anywhere other than in VM's, so I cannot play IrDA with you Jake
 Top of the page
quiche Page Icon Posted 2006-08-20 10:49 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

What I have found that works - is when I go to soft reset - don't close the lid to the device, and wait to put the cover back on the backup battery until after I see the regular screen come back up.

Questions for HP360lx owners -

Does Textmaker work on the HP360lx?

What version of Mobipocket works and reads the current Enews files?

Is there an Ultragraphics version that works on this device?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-08-20 10:58 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Yes the original version of TextMaker will run on the 300 series. The updated patch release may not, but the original does. If you register and get the patched version which lacks support, SoftMaker should be able to help you out wit the RTM build.

Pass on the other two.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-08-20 3:56 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

quiche - 2006-08-20 7:49 AM

What I have found that works - is when I go to soft reset - don't close the lid to the device, and wait to put the cover back on the backup battery until after I see the regular screen come back up.

Geez - I'm surprised it doesn't make you stand on your head while doing all this.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-08-20 6:06 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

oh the reset thing, thats a hp 3xx/6xx lx problem, or bug, you need to wait after every soft reset until it senses the backup battery is good. until that DO NOT perform another soft reset. i've not tested this theory but this is what i read. sounds perfectly logical especially after quiche's observation
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-08-20 7:39 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
To save yourself some IR madness, Quiche, I've found out that Windows 98 can NOT receive IR-transmitted files unless it has third-party software. Since I have a Jeteye IR-printer adapter, I was allowed to download QuickBeam, a file transferring app, and I was able to shoot files back and forth between my HPCs and Win98 and do the same between my Psions and Win98.

But it was driving me crazy that Win98 could only send but not receive. WindowsME and beyond allows two-way transferring.

Jake

Edited by Jake 2006-08-20 7:40 PM
 Top of the page
quiche Page Icon Posted 2006-08-20 8:22 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I had those problems with Windows 98 and infrared before. It takes too much time.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-08-22 5:00 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

cmonex - 2006-08-20 11:06 PM

oh the reset thing, thats a hp 3xx/6xx lx problem, or bug, you need to wait after every soft reset until it senses the backup battery is good. until that DO NOT perform another soft reset. i've not tested this theory but this is what i read. sounds perfectly logical especially after quiche's observation
I haven't heard of this before, I haven't seen it either. From an electrical perspective, it there is no such thing as a 'detection' process on the coin cell (Only the CE power management is interested in this, which isn't involved in the process), it's other proviging a circuit or it isn't. Unless you are pressing reset in rapid quick succession and therefore compromising the integrity of main RAM by short/power/shot/power cycles, or holding down the reset button for too long thus tripping the circuit and forcing a hard reset it would actually imply a design flaw or error in the power circuitry.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-08-22 7:19 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

yes it could be a design flaw, i don't know, but i heard about this hard reset problem elsewhere too. it would be interesting to test this theory out. of course it can be wrong.

pressing reset in rapid quick succession and therefore compromising the integrity of main RAM by short/power/shot/power cycles

yeah i experienced that once with one of my nec 900's (not by pressing reset though, but changing a few batteries in it) very true!

Edited by cmonex 2006-08-22 7:21 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-08-22 7:57 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Just goes to show the susceptibility of electronics to the human condition (and electron flow)
 Top of the page
qsiguy Page Icon Posted 2006-10-04 2:20 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

In case anyone's still working on IR issues with Win 98 I made some progress (by regressing) at connecting via IR with my Win 98 laptop. I haven't been able to connect via IR with Active Sync 3.8 but I installed the old Windows CE Services and it was simple. Once it was up I had to select Comm port 4 (which I had previousely specified for IR use on my laptop) and it connected instantly and I could connect and browse the 360LX and move files back and forth and sync. Tried to then reinstall Active Sync 3.8 and it died again. I'm sure there is a way but for now I'll use CE Services until I figure it out. I don't really need all the functionality of Active Sync anyway. Just wanted to be able to transfer files via IR and it does it perfectly.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-10-04 7:01 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

tested that hard reset theory on an MC16 now. it is a false theory!
i reset the MC16, then waited a few secs (backup battery still was not sensed) and reset again, and repeated that once more. no problems whatsoever
 Top of the page
quiche Page Icon Posted 2006-10-04 7:27 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I know now that the Infrared is working on my Windows 98se laptop, because I have a Nokia phone and synched up to the phone via the Infrared. Haven't tried yet with a WinCe device.

As to the hard reset problem - I did manage to get the programs I wanted on the HP 360lx installed. Then I immediately did a backup. And now the 360lx is resting peacefully in the other room, connected to the electric outlet.
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.406 - Cached queries : 56 - Executed queries : 25