x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Questions about Jornada 680E

« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... Next »
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-02-11 7:24 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

BTW, I contacted HP Tech about the Jornada 680E on sale at TigerDirect. TigerDirect is NOT an authorized seller of HP products. That means the warranty (If any) is not covered by them.
Chris
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-11 7:45 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Welcome to HPCFactor ESCAPEMAX! hmmm ... I didn't know that HP would need your handheld to be purchased strictly from them before they would service it!?

For the most part, most HP products have their serial numbers that can be registered to give an exact warranty duration, so sales receipt is not required at all.

Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-02-11 7:49 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I checked the HCL for a potential Modem/Lan card. The one I have in mind is not on the list. Its a 3Com #3CCFEM556B Found it at Compuvest for $26 + shipping. States that it is a PC Card. Thinking about using that. What do you think?
Thanks
Chris
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-02-11 8:21 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Lol. It looks like you have come to the only place. Sorry about being harsh, but I would like all new users to understand some common courtesy on forums. There have been some *extra* posts lately.

As far as any cards that are semi-complicated, if they don't have a specific driver availabe, it won't work. Then again, having two cards isn't the worst thing in the world, and with more wifi spots popping up worldwide, modems may start getting less use from us. (Ok, who else is fascinated with the technology that modems use? ) But if you can find a combo card, that would be a worthy addition to the hcl...

-Welcome to the forum!
 Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-02-11 9:17 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I am thinking it would work. Does state that it is a PC card interface. Nothing said about it being 32bit or CardBus. The Driver, Thats the question.
I should mention that I did order the unit. But its Backorderd till 2/21/05.
Another crazy question here tho. The CF cards. Does the ?X Speed really matter? Got a San Disk 60x 256mb CF coming as well.
Chris
 Top of the page
Brain_Recall
Brain_Recall Page Icon Posted 2005-02-11 10:41 PM
#
Snappy! - 2005-02-11 6:25 PM

hey Brainy! Care to share the electrical config for the combo jack?

I'll do a mini-article in a seperate post.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-02-12 12:30 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Depends if it is compactflash type 1 or two. Two will need a pcmcia adaptor- those are pretty cheap and you could get your hands on one without much trouble.
 Top of the page
Loose Canon Page Icon Posted 2005-02-12 12:56 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Well If anyone was wondering I did get my 680 from Tigerdirect and it was delivered today as scheduled... The thing came in an Hp white box, with all software and stuff that they came with new. It has no scratches, the keyboard and screen both seem very new. So far I am very happy with it!

I already have my Senao 2511 high powered wireless card installed and it works beautifully... Now if I can just get any of the Instant Messengers to work I'll be more than just pleased...

But for now its nearly midnight and I should get some sleep! When I get a chance tomorrow I'll play with it some more. Maybe this time I'll even read the book, haha.
 Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-02-12 6:55 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Bought mine mostly for an Organizer. Life got a little complicated. Hard to keep track of things. The other reason. At one time, I saw a kit that could turn a PDA into an Automotive Scanner. Being an Auto Tech, I do have a Snap-On. Just hard to read in certain light conditions. Also, I'm thinking that this should work on Newer cars than my current unit. Through software upgrades. Thats why I want the Lan. But the Modem would also be nice. So I can get my ATT.NET mail if needed. Lugging a Laptop is hard enough. Try using that working on cars.
GOOD LUCK with yours. Let me know how it runs. I'm in a waiting game for mine. Maybe will ship on 2/21/05
Chris
 Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-02-12 6:59 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

The card is a SanDisk 256mb, 60x unit. Doesnt state if it is a Type 2. Just that its a CF.
Chris
 Top of the page
Loose Canon Page Icon Posted 2005-02-12 10:45 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Just so your aware, because Tiger fails to tell you in their ad...

They place a base of some sort on the bottom (its only on held on by 5 small as hell screws), but the documents that come in the box state its been modified from original so that the CF slot is not accessable and the voice record buttons are missing...

So, I removed the base plate, and I found the CF card is still operable (thank god) but the voice record buttons are in fact missing.. so their are 3 holes in the front...

But other than that I think the thing is a great deal I paid less than 140 with a CF Card and paid for 2 delivery... and I already had a wireless card with a working drivers...

Over all its a pretty sweet little toy... today I'll be working on getting an Instant Messenger to work.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-02-12 12:55 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Just looked it up - it seems that even the 1gb Ultra II is a type 1, so yours must be type 1. I have a sandisk 512mb, but not 60x, which I thought were type 2's...but aren't. So it should be fine.

...Perhaps you both should have bought a real 680 off ebay and not one with missing buttons?
 Top of the page
Loose Canon Page Icon Posted 2005-02-12 1:11 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Actually some of the early 1gb CF Cards were Type II the difference in the Types is the thickness of the card.

Type I are thin and will fit the CF slot on the 600 series, however the Type II cards are as thick as the PCMCIA card slot and will require a PCMCIA adapter to work in your Jornada....

They are easy to tell the difference by looking at them....
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-12 2:21 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Actually, the fact that its a 680E tells you that it lacks the recording features and the CF slot below. There is a guy who has the upgraded/refurbished 680 units that has the full features on eBay if you ask me.

Have fun with you 680e ... if not for its CE2.11, I would have gotten it then. In the end, I got my MP790 instead!
 Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-02-12 3:23 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I am leary of buying off Ebay. Bought 2 RockFord Fosgate Power amps in winter 03. I forget when exactly. Waited till Spring to install them. These amps were supposed to be NEW. The BD1001 (1000 watt Bass amp) smoked 2 days after install. The Mosfets inside popped. Had to buy another from someone else (Online Company CBRStereo). No problems. However the Power 851x has performed flawlessly since install. No it wasnt install error. I have installed about 50 amps for myself and others over the last 10 years. Subwoofers werent to blame. Ran them for about year then changed them to a mono sub. Ran them on the previous amp. BD500 (little brother of the 1001) before the 1001.
TigerDirect I have dealt with in the past. Bought Mobos, PS, CPU's and other pieces. Never had any problems with them as company. Thats why I saw the ad and ordered.
Chris
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.281 - Cached queries : 51 - Executed queries : 32