x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Questions about Jornada 680E

« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... Next »
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-02-12 3:43 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Loose Cannon, The CF card you used in yours is what type? 1 or 2? Just checked the e-mail from TigerDirect and it states it uses Type 2 CF. Of course the ad on the website shows SD cards for use with the 680. Maybe its typo?
Chris- Who is now getting worried about What he ordered.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-12 3:50 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Quote from SanDisk:
All CF cards from SanDisk are Type I format, including SanDisk Ultra II CompactFlash cards.

The Ultra II CF cards are 60x (9MB/s) and 66x (10MB/s)

http://www.sandisk.com/retail/ultra2-cf.asp
 Top of the page
Loose Canon Page Icon Posted 2005-02-12 4:28 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

ESCAPEMAX - 2005-02-12 2:43 PM

Loose Cannon, The CF card you used in yours is what type? 1 or 2? Just checked the e-mail from TigerDirect and it states it uses Type 2 CF. Of course the ad on the website shows SD cards for use with the 680. Maybe its typo?
Chris- Who is now getting worried about What he ordered.

I bought a type I because I wanted to use it in the CF slot not a PCMCIA adapter...

Right now I am using it with the 128MB CF card in slot 2, and a Senao 802.11b PCMCIA card in slot I and its working like a charm.
 Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-02-12 6:04 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Thanks. I was just checking cause the ad had mistakes in it. Like the SD cards shown next to it. And apparantly other things you found out.
Chris
 Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-02-12 6:08 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I know this going to sound Dumb. Does the Speed of the card really matter? I know with a PC, If the ATA is Mode 4, Then a Mode 5 would run in Mode 4. Not as fast as capable.
Chris
 Top of the page
Loose Canon Page Icon Posted 2005-02-12 6:17 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I can't tell you right now, as I only have the one Kingston 128 mb card right now, however I am planning on buying a 1gb or a few 512mb cards soon, so I'll probably just buy a few different speeds so I can test to find out.

The reason I'll be looking at so much space is I'll be stuck on a plane for 8 hours and I'll be putting some movies on it... I hope
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-12 6:33 PM
#
H/PC Elder

From what I heard, the speed won't make much diff on our HPCs. The devices just can't handle the load.

One thing I wonder about. Remember how using a hdd cache app sped up things like by 10x back in DOS days? Try using your CF on your PC via a USB card adapter. Enable Writing caching and dump huge files onto it. The speed diff is very significant compare to having caching turned off.

So ... the question is ... does our good ol' WinCE3.0/2.11 do any caching? I doubt so as most of the CF/PCCard slot are hot-swappable. So it means that we are kinda limited by the system in how fast we go with the CFs actually. ... I think!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-12 6:51 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You mean SmartDrive.

Write Caching on hot ejectable removable media is totally not a good idea. Pull the card before the write cycle completes and it's a gonner. It is highly unlikely that CE support it on any device implentation. There could be a driver setting.. but nativly no - CE doesn't have the card eject system.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-12 6:56 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Yeah! Exactly, so it means that all the writes to the CFs are done synchronously ... ... bad idea for speed!

Maybe we can write a hack to smartdrv(c) it? ... and add a "Remove device safely" icon?
 Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-02-12 7:29 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

CF's go up to 2GB. Not sure if a movie would fit. When I run a DVD in my PC, The Capacity is usually about 4 Gb or more. Thats a 2 hour movie I am referring to.
Chris
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-12 7:50 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I am in the process of beta testing / reviewing a DVD ripper app for the H/PC. It's possible to get great quality in around 300 meg, with reasonable starting at 150 - of course toy can go lower.

Can't say when the review will be avaialble though.
 Top of the page
Loose Canon Page Icon Posted 2005-02-12 10:09 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

actually my brother has been crunching full movies for his mobile down to 75 -125 mb for years now... His Jornada runs a newer OS and has Microsoft Media Player.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-13 8:29 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Jornada 500 series or 900 series?

Yes 125 will still play ok, WMV has slightly better compression over DIVx, at the bit rate I mentioned you can take a wide screen movie and really make use of the wide screen HVGA displays with excellent levels of video detail and audio quality.
 Top of the page
Loose Canon Page Icon Posted 2005-02-13 10:01 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I believe his is a 500 series... but honestly I forget, I just remember being jealous years ago when I showed him my over price Clie he pulled out this thing, that recorded voices, played mp3's, and then when he showed me a movie that was like 80MB's in size I about fell over....

But if I remember correctly it was a 52x or something...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-13 10:33 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Yea the 500 series is a demon Piddle PC.
H/PC's don't support WMV.
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 12