x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

IRC Client for CE .NET?

1 2
surrealmonk Page Icon Posted 2005-02-09 4:30 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Wondering if anyone knows of an IRC client they know for sure works on CE .NET... On Rich's site, I saw IrcCE had worked, so I tried it... The program connects, and even downloads the chanel list successfully, but if you try to join a channel, the program simply disappears. I tried a couple others, but they had their assorted problems and won't run. Any info would be appreciated...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-02-09 8:36 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

hi,

have you tried a java irc client?
i have no idea what java vm is for ce.net though. but there's always hope.

with IrcCE, doesn't it work either if you only type /join #channelname (instead of getting the channel list)? i don't think so but maybe....
 Top of the page
surrealmonk Page Icon Posted 2005-02-09 5:35 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

cmonex - 2005-02-09 5:36 AM

hi,

have you tried a java irc client?
i have no idea what java vm is for ce.net though. but there's always hope.

with IrcCE, doesn't it work either if you only type /join #channelname (instead of getting the channel list)? i don't think so but maybe....

Tried Java clients... I installed Creme to get Java capabilities, but IRC Java applets don't seem to load... and on IrcCE, it doesn't matter if I type /join #channel or double-click on a channel name, the program vanishes either way... Maybe Mov will come out with a version for CE .NET soon, but in the meantime, I'm still looking...

Edited by surrealmonk 2005-02-09 5:36 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-02-09 11:07 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hi!

have you tried real java applications as well?
i have some that might work. if you know how to run a java program with creme (some commands might be needed).
there's one on henri's homepage (you know his site, don't you?) at the irc clients in the communication software page.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-02-09 11:08 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

i've got some other clients, if that one doesn't work - even if you know the command to run it (that's important).
 Top of the page
surrealmonk Page Icon Posted 2005-02-09 11:19 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

What is the URL for these? (Newbie here, don't even know who Henri is... )
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-10 7:02 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Henri is the guru of all HPC2000 software.
http://www.yetanotherhomepage.com/j7xx/
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-02-10 7:15 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Sorry the software is giving you fits. I thought I'd try IrcCE as well and see what happens.

I was able to connect to the servers, obtain a channel list, and then nothing. I assumed this is due to the fact that this is only a demo.

I note that a message appears that says, SCRIPTING.DLL not active in the demo version of this software, so I assumed that might be part of the problem.

I have requested a full-working copy from the vendor and will test that as soon as I receive it and post the results here. They (Mov) is normally pretty quick to respond.

Rich
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-02-10 7:06 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

An unhappy update....

With the help of Stephen Pendleton from MovSoftware I was able to register the software. Alas I still get the scripting.dll error, which I thought was simply a component of registration. Wrong...the error still exists.

Like you, I was able to connect, get the channel list, and then the program abruptly crashes...quits...disappears....ends. I tried this numerous times with numerous irc sites. Only one time did I make a good connection without crashing, and then I'm not really sure as I was the only one on the channel other than the host, and no one responded to any message or request for help. That connection may have been a fluke.

Anyway, I made a few screenshots and sent the them off to MovSoftware, but I think it is a moot point.

Stephen made a point of letting us know that the software is no longer being developed and may not work properly on my device.

Since it is so unstable and not working at present...I have removed it from my software listing. Too bad because it did have potential. I know of no other IRC HPC software out there...so for any of you ambitious people waiting to make your mark in the programming world....

Rich
 Top of the page
surrealmonk Page Icon Posted 2005-02-10 8:22 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Yeah, I emailed MOV as well, with a quick reply that they are not planning to port IrcCE to CE .NET... ah well... I found a couple Java IRC apps I'm going to try, already tried one that ran, but just hung when it tried to connect. Creme doesn't support midlets, so I have to try ones with .class files. If anyone knows of some software that will let me run midlets, let me know.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-02-10 8:54 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

the missing scripting dll is NOT the problem. i hardreset my 720 the other day, and after that my copy of IrcCE doesn't find that dll but the program itself still works. (so the exe is just enough.)

java irc clients are the last hope for ce.net...

surrealmonk: which one was that crashed? ibm java irc? if not ibm irc, try that (it's on henri's site)
anyway, i can post a list which java clients i have, and if you don't have all of them, i'll send them to you.

good luck!!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-02-10 8:56 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

another idea:
there are ppc irc clients as well, maybe we could use one of them with a little tweaking...
 Top of the page
surrealmonk Page Icon Posted 2005-02-11 12:32 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Haven't gotten IBM's client, Henri's page just links to a Spanish page you have to register on before you can do anything. If you sould post it here, that would be appreciated...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-02-11 1:30 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

as i was who sent that irc client to them, i can do it easily here as well

download it here: http://izemize.fw.hu/irc.zip

read readme
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-02-11 1:33 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

yeahhh, 100. post!