x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

pengyou Page Icon Posted 2006-08-26 1:04 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I have just finished reading through more than 10 posts about RDT. Most of them contain questions about how to install it. Some spend most of their time praising it. Can someone point me to a place where I can find a more detailed description on what it does, what it doesn't do and how it can be used on my nec 880?

Thanks!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-08-26 1:29 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

if you have xp pro then be happy that you dont have to install anything to get rdp, if you dont have it, forget it entirely.
 Top of the page
bsaunder
bsaunder Page Icon Posted 2006-08-26 4:33 AM
#
(this is all "usually"...since I havent read the 10 posts I cant say if they are talking about this)

Remote Desktop
This is a way to control one machine from another. Usually it gives a window on one machine that contains the desktop of the other machine. Then mouse/keyboard/screen updates/and sometimes clipboard/printer are passed over the network. Again...it allows you to remotely control another desktop.

There are many flavors of doing remote desktop:
Microsoft RDP, Microsoft cerdisp, VNC, 3rd party programs by Norton, PCanywhere ...

The two computers being connected (client/server) do NOT have to be the same operating system.
If you used VNC (which has clients and servers for almost all types of machines) you could get your Mac to control your PC. cerdisp allows your XP desktop to control your CE handheld.

So RDP is Microsofts baby. RDP is remote desktop protocol. There are clients and servers for almost all versions of Microsoft OS's XP, 9x, NT.

Unfortunately there is only a client(viewer) for the CE type OS's. Which means using RDP you can control your desktop from the PDA but NOT the other way around.

RDP has been ported to other OS's (linux, bsd, ...) so it'd be really nice if there was an RDP server for CE. Then any OS could remotely control the PDA.

My guess is the 10 emails youre talking about are an RDP client running on the HPC allowing the HPC to see and control a desktop XP machine. People get excited about this when they have to support lots of XP machines and would rather do it from their local pub.

I'm more excited when I can see/type on my HPC from my desktop. Larger keyboard, clearer screen. Once machine to control them all...

So from your HPC (or any other CE type device I think) you can see your XP desktop. See and control.
But you can NOT see your HPC from your desktop XP machine using RDP. (other solutions in a sec)

(Cmonex was sort of right...XP has the server built in but NT, 2k, 2k3 also have a version. It may only allow administrators the ability to log in but it is there).

So what's a CE owner supposed to do when they want to see their CE device through a window on their desktop? (this is nice cause most of us type faster on a normal keyboard)

Microsoft PowerTools released a client/server solution that allows you to see/control your CE device from your desktop. It's FREE
I think the link is:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/wce/downloads/ppctoys.mspx

It's slow but it does work. Handy when entering lots of data.

There are several 3rd party programs that do the same. I'm sure they are much better.

Hope this helped...
Bill
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-08-26 1:00 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

well i thought he wanted to know about rdp only that's why i answered that way.

yes there are better methods than powertools to control your ce device from the pc, netop and soti controller can do it much better and both support even ce 2.11. (not lower versions i think) i liked netop better. soti was faster displaying the ce device on the pc but it slowed down ce 2.11.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-08-26 1:06 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

bsaunder - 2006-08-26 2:33 AM

If you used VNC (which has clients and servers for almost all types of machines) you could get your Mac to control your PC.

This is a bit off-topic, however, Microsoft makes RDP for Mac OS 10.2.8+ ..
 Top of the page
SirThoreth Page Icon Posted 2006-08-26 5:56 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

To clarify, Remote Desktop (which uses RDP, ie. the remote desktop protocol) allows other computers to connect to a Windows XP PC, or a Windows NT3.51/NT4/2000/2003 Server, as if you were actually sitting at that computer's keyboard and monitor.

On the "client" end, in this case an HPC Pro, you run a program called Terminal Services Client (Terminal Services is the older name for Remote Desktop), enter in the network address or name of the computer you're connecting to, and click Connect - your client connects to that other computer, and you end up with a window (or your full screen, depending on your settings) that shows the login screen on that other computer. Once you put in your username and password, you're working on that computer's desktop.

Now, a couple warnings before I continue - obviously, if you're going to use this, good passwords are important, because you've just opened up a direct pipe into your computer, right? Also, while servers can handle having multiple people logged onto a computer, workstations, like computers running Windows XP Pro or Windows XP Home, can't do it - if you're logged in via remote, the local desktop "locks", requiring you to put in a username and password to continue. And, if you're connected remotely, and someone puts in a username and password locally, you'll get disconnected.

To play around with this on your Windows XP box, right-click on My Computer, click on the tab that says Remote, and check the box under Remote Desktop that says "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer." You can also select, on this screen, which users you want to be able to access your computer remotely.

That will allow anyone on your local network to connect to your computer. What it won't do, though, is set it up for you to connect when you're not at home. For that, you need to make some changes on your router/firewall at home. Have your router or firewall direct all TCP/IP traffic on port 3389 (the RDP port) to the local IP address of the computer you want to connect to. Then, when you're connecting on the road, you'll select the external IP address provided by your internet service provider to connect to your computer.

Obviously, there's a lot of options this opens up - I leave Trillian running all day on my computer at home, and can check in periodically to see if someone's left me a message. Applications installed locally on my computer become available to me on the road, as does my email, etc.

Now, for what you can't do with a PDA - you're not going to be able to transfer files back and forth between the PDA and the remote computer, or cut-and-paste text, or even really print to a printer connected to your client computer. It's not a limitation on the "server" end, because Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 are totally capable of doing it. It's that Microsoft has put no development into the RDP client for PDAs since HPC Professional - my ppc-6700 PDA phone, despite running Windows Mobile 5, uses the same version of Terminal Services Client as my MobilePro 880. On the other hand, I have a purpose-built "thin client" device (a computer that does nothing but connect to other computers via RDP) that runs CE .NET, which can transfer files back and forth, or print to a local printer, or cut and paste text, etc.

Also, most games won't work well over RDP, because the drivers for most graphics cards can't handle it, especially games that use DirectX.

OTOH, even with the limitations, Remote Desktop on PDAs can be incredibly useful - I spent four days at Comic Con with nothing more than my MobilePro (for taking notes at seminars) and my 6700 (my work phone/PDA), and nobody at work knew the difference because I was able to manage all 14 servers and 70 workstations at work the same way I do when I'm at home or in one of our four offices - through RDP connections.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-08-26 8:58 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

heh, very nice explanation, a few comments though. xp home doesn't have rdp server, sorry. you can hack xp pro to have two sessions so you don't have to be logged out if someone else logs in another account. of course no video no games. even LAN isn't fast enough for that. yes i do leave my pc on all day just like you. this way i don't have to take my entire hdd, i can always check files if needed. a dyndns acc is needed as well as i have a dynamic ip that changes in ever 24 hours at least.
hmm how do you do the file transfer with the ce.net client?! i've ticked the connect disk drives but can't do anything more. any trick for that, please?! & how to do cutandpaste text?

Edited by cmonex 2006-08-26 9:00 PM
 Top of the page
iliesse Page Icon Posted 2006-08-27 4:28 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

hmm how do you do the file transfer with the ce.net client?! i've ticked the connect disk drives but can't do anything more.

The easiest way to transfer files between 2 devices (PC, PPC, PSION, HPC, Nokia 9500, ...) is FTP.

When I'm on the road, a FTP server is running on my PC. With Total Commander (or any FTP client) I can transfer / delete / ... files to and from my PC to my PDA.

As server I use Quick 'n Easy FTP Server (very easy to set up)

For every device there is a FTP client you can use to connect ...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-08-27 11:51 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

but i want to use rdp for that...

but yes i have serv-u 6.0 on my pc, and even got a CE ftp server yup the latter is very cool when you sit at the pc and want a file off the pda wirelessly but don't want to bother with AS or have no access to wlan over AS (wm5! ).
(sure another way of doing that is get the pda and copy files to the pc's shared folder but i sometimes don't want to fiddle on the pda)

still rdp would be much better if i'm using a cenet device

Edited by cmonex 2006-08-27 11:55 AM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 45 - Executed queries : 30