x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

SmartBook potential owners here!!

1 2 3
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-27 8:14 AM
#
H/PC Elder

msafi - 2005-02-26 10:06 PM

is the OS for this system similar to the OS of the latest MobilePro?

The G138 runs CE.NET 4.2 ... so yes, its the *same*. But the G138 has a TFT screen (way better than the DSTN in the MobilePro).
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5168253625

I cannot remember if it also has a dedicated graphics chip, meaning better UI performance, or was it the SigIII that has it. Anyone remember or know?
 Top of the page
emulti
emulti Page Icon Posted 2005-02-27 8:33 AM
#
Hi there,

Chris here- it's me selling the G138 on Ebay in the UK.

To answer your question- G138 has a MediaQ MQ200 graphics chip, it doesn't use the Strongarm internal LCD driver, so has a very brisk screen response. Its faster subjectively than the 400Mhz XScale used in the G168. The screen is also very bright and sharp.

I am happy to supply people outside the UK- as Snappy explained we let them go singly on Ebay (price varies) with no warranty, or will supply with a 12 month warranty for £280 (plus UK VAT for UK customers or EU customers who are not VAT-registered). We have a spares stock.

If you can get together an order for 50, then we can negotiate with the factory to get you a deal. Current stock is Dark Grey in colour with US keyboard. UK stock (limited quantity) is Silver, with UK keyboard including Euro key (still has the $ and # keys but in different places).

Units are new, boxed and come with AC adapter, 64MB CF, handsfree kit for phone functions, USB cable, slip case and software CD. We have car power adapters (DC-DC converter) for £20.

regards
Chris Billington

Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-27 12:44 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Hi Chris,

Good to see you online here. btw, someone asked abt gsm support here in US. Will the units come with 1900 support as that is the network here.
 Top of the page
emulti
emulti Page Icon Posted 2005-03-16 10:05 AM
#
I believe there is a CDMA version available for appropriate markets. The European models have a Siemens SL35 GSM/GPRS Modem. From MC35 specsheet:

Table 1: MC35 key features
Feature Implementation
Transmission Voice, Data, SMS, Fax
Power supply Single supply voltage 3.3V Π4.8V
Frequency bands Dual Band EGSM 900 and GSM1800 (GSM Phase 2+
GSM class Small MS
Transmit power Class 4 (2W) for EGSM900
Class 1 (1W) for GSM1800
GPRS connectivity GPRS multi-slot class 8
GPRS mobile station class B
Temperature range Normal operation: -25°C to +55°C
Restricted operation: -29°C to -25°C and +55°C to +70°C
Storage: -40°C to +85°C
Temperature control and automatic shutdown
Constant temperature control prevents damage from the module when the
specified temperature range is exceeded. When an emergency call is in
progress the automatic temperature shutdown functionality is deactivated.

DATA GPRS:
CSD:
 GPRS data downlink transfer: max. 85.6 kbps (see Table 2)
 GPRS data uplink transfer: max. 21.4 kbps (see Table 2)
 Coding scheme: CS-1, CS-2, CS-3 and CS-4
 MC35 supports the two protocols PAP (Password Authentication
Protocol) and CHAP (Challenge Handshake Authentication Protocol)
commonly used for PPP connections.
 Support of Packet Switched Broadcast Control Channel (PBCCH) allows
you to benefit from enhanced GPRS services when offered by the
network operators.
 CSD transmission rates: 2.4, 4.8, 9.6, 14.4 kbps, non-transparent, V.110
 Unstructured Supplementary Services Data (USSD) support

Table 2: Coding schemes and net data rates over air interface
Coding scheme 1 Timeslot 2 Timeslots 4 Timeslots
CS-1: 9.05 kbps 18.1 kbps 36.2 kbps
CS-2: 13.4 kbps 26.8 kbps 53.6 kbps
CS-3: 15.6 kbps 31.2 kbps 62.4 kbps
CS-4: 21.4 kbps 42.8 kbps 85.6 kbps

The data rates supported are a function of your local network.

Hope this helps. For GSM1900 I guess you could swap the module for the US market model, sourced locally? It's a plug-in unit (internally)

hope this helps
Chris
 Top of the page
BruceHungerford
BruceHungerford Page Icon Posted 2005-03-16 4:08 PM
#
While I continue to enjoy and get good service from my MobilePro 890, I am a "gadget freak" and do consider upgrading from time to time. For my needs -- esp., a wide screen and a good keyboard -- only the Netbook Pro and the Smartbook would seem to represent real upgrades. (The new Clio -- if it ever comes to market -- might represent a third.)

Given the price of the Netbook Pro, I have followed this thread with great interest. I find I have three questions -- any feedback on these would be greatly appreciated.

1) Speed -- For most purposes the speed of the MP890 is adequate, but webpage rendering is sometimes painfully slow. At 206(?) MHz, is the Smartbook appreciably faster than the 168 MHz MobilePro? Is the newer browser faster?

2) Screen -- While width is the more important dimension to me -- I quit using my 790 because I hated scrolling webpages -- I have gotten used to an 800 x 600 screen. Does anyone have any reactions to an 800 x 480 one?

3) Build quality -- One of the few reviews I was able to find on the web seemed to question the build quality of the equivalent German units. Since my German is very poor and Altavista was of little help, I am not sure exactly what the problem was. Still, I would like the comments of someone who has actually used a Smartbook.

BTW, this site has quickly become one of my favorites.

Bruce
MP890 Evangelist
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 8