x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

CE 4.2 and PPC applications

Geared2003 Page Icon Posted 2006-09-02 6:00 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I am beginning to hate Windows CE 4.2
For PocketPC applications, it is a real downgrade !!! I get more PPC applications running on my Sig2 ( "old" mips HPC2000 device) than on my CE4.2 Wibook !
I have got serious trouble with PPC dialogs: I generally get tiny square windows instead of usable dialogs... The same apps run like a charm on any CE 3.0, 4.0 or 4.1 device. And using a custom Aygshell.dll does not bring any advantage.

Am I doing anything wrong ? For example, did anyone try Netfront 3.3 with good results on a CE 4.2 device ?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-09-02 11:40 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

check out winwatch or install a SIP and your problem will get solved

if you look around in the cenet section (from last summer until now) you can see i had the same feelings but then realized it wasnt true, quite the other way around, cenet 4.2 can run much more ppc apps than any older OS including cenet 4.1. you just have to fiddle a little more with some older ppc programs but more newer ppc apps will run and the older ones will too
 Top of the page
iamjoe Page Icon Posted 2006-09-04 1:42 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Geared2003 - 2006-09-02 6:00 PM

I am beginning to hate Windows CE 4.2
For PocketPC applications, it is a real downgrade !!! I get more PPC applications running on my Sig2 ( "old" mips HPC2000 device) than on my CE4.2 Wibook !
I have got serious trouble with PPC dialogs: I generally get tiny square windows instead of usable dialogs... The same apps run like a charm on any CE 3.0, 4.0 or 4.1 device. And using a custom Aygshell.dll does not bring any advantage.

Am I doing anything wrong ? For example, did anyone try Netfront 3.3 with good results on a CE 4.2 device ?

The number of MIPS PPC appz is much smaller than ARM version.

and few HPC2k machine have an ARM CPU. Most CE.net 4.2 Pdas are powered by arm and stand better chance to find working ppc appz... So........
 Top of the page
Geared2003 Page Icon Posted 2006-09-04 2:21 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I have had many different ARM devices, and I still own a few. I still think that CE3.0/ 4.0/4.1 is better for PPC apps.
I tried the Winwatch trick (thanks for the tip, Cmonex): better than nothing, but still annoying... Netfront works much better on my SIG3/SIG2/J710 than on my Wibook for example...
Concerning MIPS apps, I just started a new thread in the HPC2000 section, concerning "hard to find MIPS apps", but that's another story...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-09-04 2:34 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Geared2003, just install a SIP on your wibook and it will be fine.
anyway it may take a while to realize that cenet 4.2 is much much better for ppc apps.... try to run a ppc app WITHOUT any amount of hacking on an earlier OS (4.1, 3.0).. 4.2 is able to do this many times. its built in aygshell is usually much better than any of the dummy aygshells. 4.2 will spoil you soon and you will not want to look back. i have to, sadly, as the j728 runs 3.0 and the sig3 runs 4.1...why can't i have opera for 4.1 and 3.0 this is just one example why 4.2 is better.. winsock2 in this case...
 Top of the page
iamjoe Page Icon Posted 2006-09-04 5:55 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Geared2003 - 2006-09-05 2:21 AM

I have had many different ARM devices, and I still own a few. I still think that CE3.0/ 4.0/4.1 is better for PPC apps.
I tried the Winwatch trick (thanks for the tip, Cmonex): better than nothing, but still annoying... Netfront works much better on my SIG3/SIG2/J710 than on my Wibook for example...
Concerning MIPS apps, I just started a new thread in the HPC2000 section, concerning "hard to find MIPS apps", but that's another story...

not able 2 play with arm ce3 or up. what a pity

I have only tried out Smartbook G138 Celux 300hC and an Industrial pda with 133mhz arm cpu. all were sold later.

extremly hard 2 play with ce.net 4.2 arm hpc. only the english version of g138.

in fact, I would like 2 play with Wibook

Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 45 - Executed queries : 27