x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

GPS Software options for HPC 2000?

1 2
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2005-02-11 6:02 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Could someone outline some of the GPS software options for HPC 2000 (Jornada 720 in particular)? I have Pocket Streets 2002 on it now, with the latest maps for Streets and Trips 2004, but I can't get the software update that adds GPS support to Pocket Streets to run. I have tried hacking the exe and adding various versions of aygshell.dll and doclist.dll, but have met with no sucess. So, what alternatives are there and how well satisfied are you with them?
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-11 7:38 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Talking about GPS ... anyone around here tried GPS on HPC2000?
 Top of the page
vjurkas Page Icon Posted 2005-02-12 5:39 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

As far as I remember, the spanish colleagues did it. Jose Romero or www.todopocketpc.com. MapSonic shall work fine with GPS.
 Top of the page
vjurkas Page Icon Posted 2005-02-12 6:15 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I have just found another product (Jornada Group on Yahoo):

www.oziexplorer.com

It is 30 USD only and allows you import maps in many formats but it does not support routing. If this is what you need it might be a very good choice!
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2005-02-13 12:54 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Unfortunately, Mapsonic only has European maps and I live in the US. I checked out OziExlorer and it is probably workable, but it has its problems. For one, it seems to be geared towards bitmap map formats, which means having rather large data files. The lack of routing capability doesn't bother me, but the time involved in acquiring, converting and calibrating maps make this package seem less and less a convenience. If no other packages are available, I would hope we could get the community to look at what is needed to make the Pocket Street 2002 GPS update run. I tried adding aygshell.dll and doclist.dll and there seems to be only missing one function needed to run.
 Top of the page
camalain
camalain Page Icon Posted 2005-02-16 10:08 AM
#
Hello,
depending on what you want to do with it, Oziexplorer CE has a version that works on HPC 2000. It is not free and requires that you also download the Desktop version.

I have purchased it and I use a HP728, a CF GPS (Haicom). It works fine.

If you want to get road directiosn, it is not for you...

have fun
 Top of the page
AKG Page Icon Posted 2005-03-07 1:33 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

My HC7000(Intermec 6651) also works fine with Haicom CF GPS
MobileMap Plus is the only software for hpc2k here in Taiwan
They released the J720 & HC7000 versions in Chinese
It is said that Voice Recognition command is also included.
I'm just worrying how to place the machine in my car......
 Top of the page
Uncle Ben Page Icon Posted 2005-03-07 10:36 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

camalain - 2005-02-16 10:08 AM

Hello,
depending on what you want to do with it, Oziexplorer CE has a version that works on HPC 2000. It is not free and requires that you also download the Desktop version.

I have purchased it and I use a HP728, a CF GPS (Haicom). It works fine.

If you want to get road directiosn, it is not for you...

have fun

How useful is it really? I've always been reluctant to explore the GPS capability of my HPC because of the difficulty to read the screen in broad daylight. Under what conditions have you used this software and what constraints, if any, did you have to cope with.

Uncle Ben
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-03-07 11:01 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

You can shade the screen with your hand....
 Top of the page
AKG Page Icon Posted 2005-03-08 12:11 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

So how do you firmly place your HPC in your car?
Lots of holders for PPC, but none for HPC

----------------------------------------------------------
Off line talk: worldwide Map
Be sure to visit keyhole.com
They can zoom to street level
But, for PC only, no Mac support
And, better VGA card is recommended(ATi,Intel,Nvidia etc.)
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-03-08 12:23 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Velcro.
 Top of the page
hpcpro Page Icon Posted 2005-08-25 8:35 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

GPS working on a HP720:
http://www.todopocketpc.com/foro/showthread.php?t=54526&highlight=gps
http://www.todopocketpc.com/foro/showthread.php?t=45273&highlight=gps

If you have a Socket Bluetooth PCMCIA on your Hp720 then you can use all the Bluetooth GPS.
 Top of the page
DeathDeal
DeathDeal Page Icon Posted 2005-08-26 5:12 AM
#
I use a Pretec CF GPS on a jornada 728.

Software for navigation that worked fine with me was Destinator 3.0.25. Used orientation for better interaction with the prog and imported greek maps (I live in Greece) from version 3.0.75 (which I couldn't manage to work, though I guess I did something wrong and it actually may be working). Biggest prob with Destinator is that the prog has to be in ram. If anyone managed to make it work form cf please post. This is serious for 720 users. 728 users shouldn't complaint of course .

Oziexplorer also works fine though the lack of maps is a prob to me. Navigon Mobile Navigator works too (I tried the european edition) but there too I lack maps for Greece. I'm in the process of trying more progs on this subject, but the success of Destinator slows me down a bit as I already have something working . I'll submit further progress (if I make any)

extra:
Something important on the GPS matter is the power consumption of the GPS hardware. My card consumes 160mA max which is a bit too much for continuous navigation without external power supply. Of course in a car it isn't a prob. On foot it is . Based on the battery condition of course.

Edited by DeathDeal 2005-08-26 5:23 AM
 Top of the page
DaveH
DaveH Page Icon Posted 2005-08-26 8:53 AM
#
I've been using Teletype GPS for about 6 months on my J-728. I originally ordered "WorldNavigator CF v3.0 WAAS/LP Bundle" but the GPS s/w didn't work quite right. They sent me a new version 062005 and since then it's been working fine, with only a few quirks. It requires AYGSHELL.DLL (16.5KB version). The CF receiver plugs in the PCMCIA slot on the left. The kit also comes with a heater vent attachment which holds the Jornada quite well. US and Europe maps seem pretty complete.
 Top of the page
alfabob
alfabob Page Icon Posted 2005-08-26 12:38 PM
#
Jeez it has been awhile since I've been here! Anyway, my suggestion for a GPS software for the J720/728 is Pocket MapViewer. You can have a look at the software herre...

http://pocketmv.homeip.net/

Its a good piece of software as it allows the user to load .img maps which is a common Garmin format. There are many free Garmin maps of various locations around the world and the link below is a good resource. Hope this helps...

http://mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com/catalogue.php

PS. I recalled on Ebay UK there was a posting for a J7xx vehicle mount...
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 15