x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Most wanted MIPS applications

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Next »
Geared2003 Page Icon Posted 2006-09-04 2:09 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I still like my Jornada 710, but I enjoy my new Sigmarion2 even more. The Sigmarion2 is really a very nice device: the only problem is that it is sometimes difficult to find MIPS applications for a few specific uses...
I know that many MobilePro users have the same problem.
So I would like to start a new thread with "hard to find MIPS applications". There are 3 possibilities to get these "most wanted MIPS applications":
-1) ask the original developper to make a MIPS specific version ( very difficult with commercial applications because the market is too small) ,
-2) make a suitable MIPS port when the source code is available (open source apps),
-3) bring some old CASIO-related "abandonware" or old japanese MIPS stuff back to life. Some 3 or 4 years ago, nearly all pocketPC applications had a MIPS version, and the BE300 community was very active 2 or 3 years ago...
I used to own several Casio devices, so I still have quite a few interesting apps on my HD that are now impossible to find.

In order to make this thread more interesting, let's start with a real contribution: a working Flash 5 player for MIPS HPCs. I think this one is really very hard to find... (I mean a version that works on HPCs).
Download it here:
http://rapidshare.de/files/31953524/FlashPlayer_5_MIPS.zip.html

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-09-04 2:27 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

well this flashplayer has been posted a few times but the link will be very useful as those threads are old. this thread idea is very good as well. i did have to spend a whole night to find everything for my intermec (which was my first mips hpc2000 machine).
can you list what apps you need but didn't manage to find?
 Top of the page
Geared2003 Page Icon Posted 2006-09-04 2:41 PM
#
H/PC Elite

cmonex - 2006-09-03 8:27 PM

well this flashplayer has been posted a few times

Not this one: as far as I know, other Flash players were CASIO-specific and did not work on other devices.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-09-04 5:20 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

there was one that was not casio specific.
 Top of the page
iamjoe Page Icon Posted 2006-09-04 5:56 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Most wanted MIPS application for me:

PDF reader for MIPS hpc pro, other than ansyr reader
 Top of the page
Geared2003 Page Icon Posted 2006-09-05 2:42 PM
#
H/PC Elite

cmonex - 2006-09-03 11:20 PM

there was one that was not casio specific.

TFGBD posted a link to the CASIO original Flash5 player twice on this forum: I tried it, but it didn't work...
http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1362&start=46
TFGBD's link is here:
http://cosmopod.com/mysite/tfgbd/PPC_(MIPS)_Flash_Install.exe
Quote from Stashek in June 2006: "The flash player for MIPS doesn't install on MP790, showing a message that it's intended for Casio products only :/ Any tip how to make it work? Pretty please? :-)"

I have never found a working Flash5 player for MIPS HPCs on the net before, and I tried hard... Or maybe you are referring to some obscure IRC channel or underground chinese FTP ???

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-09-05 5:27 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

yes this is what i meant but he never told us it was the casio one, damn
 Top of the page
TFGBD Page Icon Posted 2006-09-05 5:41 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I think I mentioned it was the Casio Pocket PC 2000 one, but I never tried it on anything but the BE-300, so I never realized that it would not run on non-Casio MIPS devices. It seems the Setup.dll in the cab checks for a Casio device and refuses to install if it is not running on one. I hacked the cab to use a generic Setup.dll and it then installed fine but the Program STILL would not run. I guess the EXE itself may also check for a Casio machine... :/

Geared2003: Where did you find a MIPS generic standalone Flash 5 player? This is great if it works on HPC 2000!

Edited by TFGBD 2006-09-05 5:42 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-09-05 6:31 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

looks like this flash player is a cracked casio player (the one on rapidshare) it mentions some casio code number in the cab. i didn't install it yet though.

edit: i checked and yes its the cracked casio one.
i'll install it on some cool mips machine.. lots of choice here
 Top of the page
carld Page Icon Posted 2006-09-05 6:51 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

I ended up finding a program online to convert my PDFs and MS Reader files to HTML so I could read them on my MP780. They weren't copy protected so I'm assuming it's not illegal
 Top of the page
Geared2003 Page Icon Posted 2006-09-06 7:20 AM
#
H/PC Elite

carld - 2006-09-05 12:51 AM

MS Reader files

This will be my next MIPS contribution ( for HPC2000 - I don't know if it works with CE 2.11)
As you probably know, the only MS Reader application available for MIPS was included in the ROM of Casio PPCs. This first version of MSReader (PPC2000) was intended for unencrypted DRM-Free LIT files only. I personally read a lot of Ebooks but I would never buy any DRM-LIT Ebook anyway ( in my opinion, the only acceptable copy protection should device-independent , like E-Reader). However, there are lots of available DRM-free LIT files on the Internet: no problem for ARM HPCs, as you can find a working HPC version of MS Reader. But for MIPS HPCs, this was another story, and it was necessary to convert them to another format...

So, if you are looking for a solution to read DRM free MS Reader files directly on your MIPS HPC (without any conversion) , this is the solution:
http://rapidshare.de/files/32136781/Mips_LIT_READER.zip.html.

This Ebook reader is basic, has a few minor bugs, but does the job quite well (probably faster than the ARM HPC Reader) .

Don't tell me it has already been posted before... I would really doubt it... It's what I call "DIY-Ware", like the Flash Player...

You can find hundreds of free MSReader books here:
http://www.mslit.com/default.asp?srch=1&pub=University+of+Virginia+Library

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-09-06 5:15 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

no this wasn't posted before

oh you did that flashplayer mod? hehe good mod
 Top of the page
quiche Page Icon Posted 2006-09-06 7:49 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

The site says download session invalid for both links ???
 Top of the page
Geared2003 Page Icon Posted 2006-09-08 12:36 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Rapidshare seems to be saturated...
New link for both files ( Flash 5 and E-Book Reader):
http://www.upload2.net/page/download/0rcVljNYv9a0Qvg/Mips+Apps.zip.html

Any other contributions ? Come on ! Share your MIPS applications (as long as it is not payware) !
 Top of the page
YOM Page Icon Posted 2006-09-23 11:23 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Tried to install the MS Lit Reader and after installation kept getting an error message stating that a component was missing. Is there a particular folder I should install to, and does it need any dll's?
 Top of the page
« 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.281 - Cached queries : 51 - Executed queries : 30