x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Network Sync with HPC Pro

mscdex Page Icon Posted 2006-09-06 12:50 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I'm not sure if anyone already knew about this or not, but I finally figured out how to successfully get network (wired/wireless) syncing working under HPC Pro with ActiveSync 3.x on the desktop. I was able to do this with both a device that had already had a partnership created on the desktop, and one that had not.

The real problem as it turns out with network sync is that ActiveSync on the HPC locates the desktop via hostname, rather than IP. This will not work when you try to sync from the network because the HPC Pro OS (CE 2.x) does not utilize a Hosts file (like the desktop versions of Windows do). The Hosts file basically tells the OS what hostnames map to what IP addresses. Thankfully for us, a program exists/existed called Pocket Hosts that allows us to "add" just that, a Hosts file.

I have successfully been able to get Pocket Hosts (1.4) running on both SH3 and MIPS (the only two HPC Pro devices I have at this time). All it took was a simple OS version change on the main executable and the dummy aygshell for the SH3 executable (SH3 used the PocketPC SH3 version, MIPS used the HPC2000 version). The program has a relatively simple interface, you just type in the hostname of your desktop running ActiveSync 3.x, and then the corresponding IP of the desktop, and click Add. Make sure it's checked in the list of hosts, and exit the application. You should now be able to establish an ActiveSync connection over the network.

As a side note about something I mentioned earlier, I was able to set up a manual ActiveSync partnership on an HPC Pro machine that had never been connected to the desktop before, and was able to network sync anyway. I will provide the details on how to do this later (just a matter of making some registry entries really).

Edited by mscdex 2006-09-06 12:54 PM
 Top of the page
Derek.HPCManiac
Derek.HPCManiac Page Icon Posted 2006-09-06 1:46 PM
#
Good

It worked very good here
now activesync sync normally!!

Thanks mscdex
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2006-09-06 1:56 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Ok, it seems I am not longer able to edit my original post. I was just going to give a link to Pocket Hosts, you can get it here. And the version is 1.5, not 1.4 like I originally posted, sorry about the confusion.

The download at said link, contains the desktop installer as well as the CABs for to install directly on the devices. The CABs ending with an 'H' are the HPC2000 versions (e.g. Hosts.MIPSH.CAB or Hosts.ARMH.Cab) , the rest are the PPC versions.

Edited by mscdex 2006-09-06 1:59 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-09-06 4:11 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

i'm baffled as to why you didn1t post the details on the most interesting part want a little suspense?

i mean the part on connecting via wlan to AS without a partnership!
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2006-09-07 2:12 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Just to let you all know, I've created a windows application (using .Net) that helps make the process of creating a manual ActiveSync 3.x partnership easier. I've tested it myself several times on my own machine, and it has worked every time. I will be releasing the utility shortly after a little more beta testing on other machines besides mine

Also, my program describes how to do the Hosts fix without using Pocket Hosts
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2006-09-08 4:58 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Ok, I've attached my little app to guide you through the process of creating a Manual ActiveSync 3.x Partnership for network sync'ing purposes.

You will need a registry editor on the HPC (Tascal Reg Edit, PHM RegEdit, or other should be fine).

Consider the program to be Beta, as I'm the only one to have tested it. I've tested it by creating several new partnerships, and the process has worked everytime for me using my Clio as the test subject. Oh, and be gentle with program

Edit: I forgot to add, you will need the .Net framework installed to run the program (not exactly sure which version you could get away with, I use 2.0 though).

Edited by mscdex 2006-09-08 5:00 PM
 Top of the page
stasheck Page Icon Posted 2006-09-21 6:37 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Everything is fine, but - I have an ActiveSync that never saw any HPC/PPC before. I just can't make it go to the Connection Settings in order to enable "Network Connection" - instead, a wizard shows. Any ideas hot to deal wit it? Please?
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2006-09-22 7:04 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

stasheck - 2006-09-21 6:37 PM

Everything is fine, but - I have an ActiveSync that never saw any HPC/PPC before. I just can't make it go to the Connection Settings in order to enable "Network Connection" - instead, a wizard shows. Any ideas hot to deal wit it? Please?

Well, assuming you're using ActiveSync 3.x, I think you should be able to cancel out of the wizard (I'm also assuming this is the 'Get Connected' wizard?) and the main ActiveSync window should be displayed. From there it's just a matter of going to File->Connection Settings, and making sure 'Allow network (Ethernet) and Remote Access Service (RAS) server connection with this desktop computer' is checked.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-09-22 8:26 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

MSCDEX and co,

All the information you need to do this is already in the CESD (and has been for, well, ages ), including how to manually setup the partnership
I've even written a web utility to generate the Hex IP address which is accessible through the CESD.

http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/c/0012.asp
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/c/0014.asp
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/c/0014/hexcalc.asp
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/c/0027.asp

Kudos though
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2006-09-22 12:30 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

C:Amie - 2006-09-22 8:26 AM

MSCDEX and co,

All the information you need to do this is already in the CESD (and has been for, well, ages ), including how to manually setup the partnership
I've even written a web utility to generate the Hex IP address which is accessible through the CESD.

http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/c/0012.asp
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/c/0014.asp
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/c/0014/hexcalc.asp
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/c/0027.asp

Kudos though

Well, the only link in those you mentioned that I've seen and has the most to do with creating a manual partnership is this one: http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/c/0027.asp

However, I saw that link many times before, and it seems to be geared towards creating a BACKUP of an existing connection, and not CREATING a new connection from scratch to be used for network syncing. I hope that makes sense.

Edit: The link here: http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/c/0012.asp even mentions you have to have an existing partnership . It seems those articles have little bits and pieces needed to create a manual partnership, but not quite everything (in one place). All I did was use the information from CESD's as far as the structure of the partnership information goes, and experimented some to perfect the automated process.

Edited by mscdex 2006-09-22 12:34 PM
 Top of the page
stasheck Page Icon Posted 2006-09-22 5:26 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

mscdex - 2006-09-22 1:04 PM

stasheck - 2006-09-21 6:37 PM

Well, assuming you're using ActiveSync 3.x, I think you should be able to cancel out of the wizard (I'm also assuming this is the 'Get Connected' wizard?) and the main ActiveSync window should be displayed. From there it's just a matter of going to File->Connection Settings, and making sure 'Allow network (Ethernet) and Remote Access Service (RAS) server connection with this desktop computer' is checked.

If it was that easy...

If you cancel the Wizard, then go to File->Connection Settings, guess what? Here comes Teh Wizzardd!

I've made it by using USB->RS232 cable, and I'm lucky that I've got my hands on NEC serial cable, but those without working IrDA and serial have a problem...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-09-22 6:10 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

From CESDC0027 it's just a case of replicating the PartnerID string on the PC to a new hive and getting all of the associations correct. It's pretty straightforward from that.
 Top of the page
stasheck Page Icon Posted 2006-09-22 6:59 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

It's not straighforward, because:
- RAS is not enabled on default
- you cannot enable it, because when you try to select Connection Settings, darn Connection Wizard shows up instead.

So the question is - how to enable RAS via registry?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-09-22 7:20 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

We disagree then don't we.

Just make HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows CE Services\ConnectTypesAllowed decimal 14

Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2006-09-22 11:22 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

stasheck - 2006-09-22 5:26 PM
If you cancel the Wizard, then go to File->Connection Settings, guess what? Here comes Teh Wizzardd!

Strange, I've never encountered that before. Have you created a partnership in ActiveSync yet? If not, at the very least you could just create the manual partnership first, that way it shouldn't ask you for a new connection from the wizard, and then just go in and enable ethernet/RAS sync'ing. Or you can enable network sync from the registry as C:Amie suggested.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.312 - Cached queries : 28 - Executed queries : 54