x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Flash card reliability

Francus Page Icon Posted 2006-09-10 4:19 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

When installed the maps of TOMTOM 5 on a SD card of my netbook pro it deleted everything there was on the SD card, my personal files, my documents, everything. Not the programs, because fortunately the programs were on the CF card.

It was impossibile to recover anything because TOMTOM maps are so large that overwrote everything.

This lack of reliability leaves me asthonished. How is it possible? And which is responsible for that?

Is it a problem of CE.NET 4.2 that is not good enought to be able to safely copy files? I doubt it, but it may be

Is it a problem of the flash card that after some use "wears out"? This is actually reported to be a real problem, but after 10000 cycles of writing. My SD from Sandisk was one year old and even saving 10 times a day in the same place (that is exagerated) you get 3000 cycles.

Also I may understand an error in a file, but deleting everything is another thing.

Anyone has ideas about this
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-09-10 5:57 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

wow this is strange...

are you sure you didn't initiate/accept deleting ?

tomtom couldn't have overwrite them itself, as the file names are different. you can't overwrite files that have different names.

maybe your SD card screwed up, this happens to them unfortunately, i'd suggest you use CF for your important stuff. CF is more reliable because it has its own controller. this has nothing to do with cenet itself..
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-09-11 2:50 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

So much for "Secure" Digital.

Francus, this may be a dumb question, but have you tried to read the SD card on your PC? I'm wondering if the sector(s) with the previously existing files on them have somehow been rendered unreadable. (In other words, maybe the files have not been deleted but are no longer recognized by the H/PC and/or PC.) Check the total data space available on the card and compare it to the sum of the disk space used by TomTom and the free space available.

Edited by CE Geek 2006-09-11 2:51 AM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-09-11 3:40 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek - 2006-09-11 8:50 AM

So much for "Secure" Digital.

it's supposed to be secure for other reasons no one cares about

i'd recommend getdataback
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 10