x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Reset graphics subsystem (GWES) without forcing system reboot?

[Frozen]
1 2
Frozen
chiark Page Icon Posted 2006-09-24 5:47 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Bit of a reality check, sorry if this sounds harsh. I'm currently working insane weeks because I'm transitioning into a sales role - I also have another job offer to consider which is tempting but not without its downsides, which is causing no small amount of heartache . Most importantly, my wife is due to give birth a week on Monday and our house is upside down because.... I've almost completed a loft conversion and shifted what was the study up there, today I've painted a nursery, painted a spare room (which was the study), glossed woodwork, built a cot, a baby changer, and a sofa bed only to find the sofa bed to too sodding big for the room its supposed to go into and that I can't return it because I've opened it. Gah!

You could say I'm rather occupied with other things

Progress-wise, I've managed to get the G138 SDK to accept that cpl.h really is a valid include for the platform (gah!), and have built a control panel applet. Now all I need to do is write a test interface and see what happens... This might happen tomorrow, it might not: rest assured if it does, I'll post here. And if it doesn't, well, it's safe to assume that work or life got in the way
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-09-25 3:00 AM
#
It doenst sound harsh... I'm just quite interested in getting this to work
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2006-09-25 4:23 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

as am I, believe me - if I can use this for presentations then I'll be a happy bunny
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2006-09-27 1:03 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Balls.

The registry is being written, and when I call ChangeDisplaySettingsEx, it returns successfully with DISP_CHANGE_SUCCESSFUL, but it doesn't work
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-09-27 1:29 PM
#
If you manually reset does it work? Most users wouldnt mind the occassional reset (nyditot sold similar software that required it for years).

What about possibly killing the explorer/gwes process and restarting (probably not possible)?
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2006-09-27 2:56 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Yes, it works with a manual reset.
Killing Explorer would do nothing. gwes might work.

I've got some things to try yet, but worst case I'll issue a soft reset command to the kernel - that'll show it who's boss

Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-10-23 11:12 AM
#
Any progress or screenshots yet?

I'd be happy with it doing a manual reset to accomplish its task.

Edited by chazco 2006-10-23 11:16 AM
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2006-10-23 11:16 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

It's working to do the basic task of changing screen size. I want to add a couple of things before I release it...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-10-23 11:48 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

wow
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-10-27 5:18 AM
#
Out of interest, how well does yours actually work? My attempts were able to sucessfully change the resolution on both displays (e.g. 1024x768 on LCD and CRT). The LCD scrolled the image as you used the touchscreen, but not very well. It was resonable for presentations and full-screen video though.
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2006-10-27 9:18 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Initially, it will always resize the desktop to match the resolution of the CRT, so if you set 1024x768 it'll set the desktop size and external resolution to that, leaving the crt at 800x480. The touchscreen won't make any sense

The MQ200 adaptor *can* support two independent displays with different content, but it appears that WinCE can't easily do this, or do anything useful with it. Monitor spanning might be possible, and there's hooks to allow powerpoint to use a separate external resolution... But this is a lot of research and testing, and may not yield anything useful.

Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-10-30 4:23 PM
#
Ok, the mouse still works though

As a suggestion, how about making a tray-applet to work with it? e.g. tap to show a menu of possible modes to switch to?
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2006-10-31 5:51 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

That consumes memory, admittedly not much, and the right way to do it IMHO is via the control panel.

besides, I'd never written a control panel applet
 Top of the page
Derek.HPCManiac
Derek.HPCManiac Page Icon Posted 2006-11-04 4:02 PM
#
I'm wondering use this to Acces my external VGA, and change the 340x240 resolution to 1024x768 or 800x600, and show video on them (from TCPMP)
 Top of the page
1 2
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 9