x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Is there any MIDI/Audio interface for HPC?

AKG Page Icon Posted 2005-02-13 4:57 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

I doubt it~ But I'd love to see one if it's possible
What Else? Any MIDI sequencing software or digial audio Editing/Mixing/Mastering?
There's plenty of music composing S/W & H/W for iPAQ PPC
When will I see one for HPC???
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-13 8:39 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It was reportedly possible to use a Sound Canvas PCMCIA card with a small app to do it. The bits are in the HCL, but I never tried it.

CE doesn't have a wave table synth, which is needed and for software instrument definition you need a lot of space. As you say though there are a few applications for the PPC, so it can be done through a software only platform - much in the same was as AC'97.
 Top of the page
AKG Page Icon Posted 2005-02-15 1:41 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Sadly to find that Roland SCP55 Card doesn't support HPC2K or HPCPro!
Besides, hard to find one now!

Guys on http://www.core-sound.com/ say they can do 24bit 192K recording via their PDAudio software & hardware(CF Card) with a PPC & large storage cards
I hope HPC machines might do the same job~ Am I too greedy?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-15 2:36 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If it is possible on the H/PC it isn't something I have experience with I'm afraid.

If you get anywhere with it, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on it.
 Top of the page
willdao Page Icon Posted 2005-02-18 4:18 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

FYI:

(& FWIW) I tlalked with a guy from core-audio, the makers of PDAudio, and there's nothing CARD-related that would preclude use in, say, a Jornada 7xx (StrongARM 206 Mhz)., and CE 3.0 (H/PC 2000). DO see the site from the link above!

He had not personally heard of adaptations/tweaks for such use, but recommended anyone interested talk to the software vendors for compatibility issues.

Whether the "dummy .dlls" that permit PPC SW to function on H/PCs would suffice for screen viewing is one question.

What the various SW apps do re: wavetable processing, dsp, etc. is a second question.

But, one might assume (ASS U ME) that it would be more than merely POSSIBLE, as the list of compatible PPC devices--core makes a point of showing older devices in action to show comaptibility on the site above--includes older PPC devices running older v's of the PPC OS, which is basically CE 3.0 (and some of the devices listed also use the 206Mhz strongARM...) so you know the code is written to/compatible with that core. And processor speed. And, as CE 3.0's shortcomings audio-wise are apparently taken into account already on PPC devices...well, it's logical to assume that the SW itself runs the basic audio engines, too...Right?

All that being said, heck, I don't know the answers, surely. Esp. if C:Amie doesn't

But I'd call the SW vendors, see how they implement the audio frontend, and go from there. Surely they would know of SOMEONE wanting to tweak a H/PC (2000) for this purpose. Too many tech geeks are audio geeks at night! What the limits of the SW in terms of overhead on the processor might be pretty much should be known, as these apps HAVE to be written tightly to function on PDAs at all...(ASIDE: one of the things i LOVE about CE on my 720, is efficency...probably scared MS to death...that we might notice...hence, one maybe small factor in the development death of H/PCs as "small PC replacements." The code compactness/efficiencies comparisons are killer. Gawd, can ya imagine the hue and cry had dvlpmnt continued on CE for H/PCs--to date--in light of the infamous XP/IE "spaghetti code," (even NT kernel-based) and security fronts? Not to mention sales of huge form-factor notebooks and a new Office Package in the garage every year? The larger the app/longer it takes to install, the greater the "perceived value?" Among the GenPublic? Gawd...)

BTW: anyone interested? See the RAVE reviews of the PDAudio HW/SW (from 3rd parties), reported in action from many pro (and "home" industry vets, incl., John Atkinson, of varied fame, incl. @ Stereophile, which is how I first made him an integral part of my geekdom almost two decades ago, I guess. Cehck out the core site!

I may make further inquries myself; this is just TOO cool an app (potentially) for an (neophyte) enthusiast on an "abandoned" platform not to crow about, if it works...

...if I can paraphrase one reviewer on the core site, he said that it was too totally cool to walk into PDAudios vast studios, pick the largest mixing board he'd seen, pull a tiny CE device out of his pocket, set it beside the behemoth board, and quip that he'd take digital-out, however they served it (coax, fiber), for as long as they could pump it (there's one SW recording app that lets one swap CF memory cards on the fly, without dropping a bit)...

M$, you know not what you've unleashed! Esp. thanks to HPC Factor! Revenge is sweet. I gotta KB built into mine! Be afraid!

Edited by willdao 2005-02-18 4:29 PM
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-18 6:25 PM
#
H/PC Elder

willdao - 2005-02-18 2:18 PM

(ASIDE: one of the things i LOVE about CE on my 720, is efficency...probably scared MS to death...that we might notice...hence, one maybe small factor in the development death of H/PCs as "small PC replacements." The code compactness/efficiencies comparisons are killer. Gawd, can ya imagine the hue and cry had dvlpmnt continued on CE for H/PCs--to date--in light of the infamous XP/IE "spaghetti code," (even NT kernel-based) and security fronts? Not to mention sales of huge form-factor notebooks and a new Office Package in the garage every year? The larger the app/longer it takes to install, the greater the "perceived value?" Among the GenPublic? Gawd...)

Willdao, I like you already! ... I'm with you on this conspiracy theory!! hehe Running NetBSD on my MP790 reminds me of the days, some ten years back when I installed linux on my 486DX40@80 (gosh, can u believe it??) and my machine suddenly felt like brandnew!! While it kinda crawled previously on Win3.11, it flew on Slackware linux (cannot remember the build I think 2.0???) Although the linux installation really got me crazy with the 100,000 questions it pose at you, when you are done, you have a lean and mean speed demon!! I ran 4 sessions of DOOM on it and all ran at full rate, albeit in smaller screens and only one session having sound, since the sound card nor the driver was designed to resample the soundout from the sessions and churn out a single stream!!

Returning to today's HPC, WinCE3.0 running on my MP790@168Mhz displays things with a slight pause and web pages sluggishly ... whereas X11 on NetBSD1.6.2 runs zippily without a hitch. Dillo0.8.0 also ran well, but at beta, its rendering of sites are still a way from completion.

willdao - 2005-02-18 2:18 PM

M$, you know not what you've unleashed! Esp. thanks to HPC Factor! Revenge is sweet. I gotta KB built into mine! Be afraid!

psst ... psst ... yes you, dun wave the anti-M$ flag in public ... hehehe ... just kidding ...
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 14