x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Windows CE 4.x vs. CE 3.0

Half-Saint Page Icon Posted 2006-09-15 8:57 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I'm just curious but can someone explain what's the difference between CE 4.x and 3.0? I see that Netbook Pro for example has CE 4.2 installed. And CE 4.2 is not the same as PPC2002? Thanks for the info.

Cheers
SainT
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-09-15 9:32 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

It is analogous to Windows XP and Windows 98...an evolution of the operating system. You can run some Win 98 stuff (most actually) just fine on WinXP. You can run some WinCE 3.0 (most actually) just fine on CE.NET 4.2.

But the reverse isn't true. You can run very little "made for" CE.NET applications on CE 3.0 just as you can run very few "made for" WinXP applications on Win98.

The PPC2002/2003 operating system shares some of the libraries with CE.NET I believe, or are similar enough, and sometimes even built on the same core platform...so sometimes a few programs run...and sometimes they don't. Just depends on how the software makes calls and interacts with the hardware...it is touch and go for each machine.

Even the Mobilepro 900C and the Psion Netbook Pro (both CE.NET 4.2 devices) have some software differences and don't necessarily run the same applications in the same way, and sometimes not at all.

Rich

Edited by Rich Hawley 2006-09-15 9:35 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-09-15 1:21 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The core OS version of Pocket PC 2002 is CE 3.0; for Windows Mobile 2003 it's CE 4.2 .net.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 9