x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Beggining WinCE Development

RGGG Page Icon Posted 2006-09-15 4:24 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hey all

I'm pretty close to securing two casiopea 100 pda's. From what I've read, they run WinCE build 2.11. Since my Proof of concept project will need me to program for the system,l was wondering where i could start. I've seen some links to a WinCE development kit..though the links are now dead.

Where could I find the necessary software to Develop for WinCE?

Is there any online tutorials on getting started?

I've seen several Pocket PC tutorials that reference WinCE, is coding for these 2 platforms quite different?

And lastly, Is it possible to modify the operating system itself, as in creating a new GUI and such?

Sincerly

Ryan
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-09-15 4:33 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Okay, check the developer downloads area in the download section on this site for software.. The Casio E100s you speak of do run CE 2.11, but they are not HPCs, they are Palm Size PCs, which were the PPC's predecessor.. I have on, as do some other people on this site..
 Top of the page
RGGG Page Icon Posted 2006-09-17 1:20 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

One last little question.....On certain touch screen based system's, I've heard that its only capable of detecting the stylus at one point on the screen, meaning that you could only have 1 input at a time. Is WinCE like this also, or is it possible to program to allow for multiple inputs at the same time? Or could it also be hardware based?

Ryan
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2006-09-18 7:01 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

The system is set up for single touch point at a time, like practically every screen out there. I think apple have demonstrated multi touchpoint screens and have patented something around that idea too...

For beginning, you can't beat Programming Windows CE by Doug Boling.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-09-18 9:08 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

RGGG - 2006-09-15 10:24 PM
I've seen several Pocket PC tutorials that reference WinCE, is coding for these 2 platforms quite different?

And lastly, Is it possible to modify the operating system itself, as in creating a new GUI and such?

1) not really different.. you'll see. the ppc has some extra functions etc thats all
2) mmm you'd need platform builder i'd imagine. or an OS that is at least CE3 or higher and then you can use MUIs to change the gui look.
 Top of the page
RGGG Page Icon Posted 2006-09-20 5:51 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

chiark - 2006-09-18 7:01 AM

The system is set up for single touch point at a time, like practically every screen out there. I think apple have demonstrated multi touchpoint screens and have patented something around that idea too...

For beginning, you can't beat Programming Windows CE by Doug Boling.

But is it a hardware issue? I've had a look around, and most signs point to it being a little of both, a standard touch panel, uses an electrical current, to detect inputs, so in that case, it may very well be hardware based issue, although for my application, simply using 2 touch panels, would solve that. Then however, comes the issue, of having wince reconize both touch panels, of course, you'd first have to have the hardware itself see both panels. I wonder, if one spliced the connections from one touchpanel, into the other, then into the system itself,...what would happen?......Would it actually see 2 inputs from both panels,or simply see both inputs as one and crash.,.....I really need an expert in this field lol....Or is it the touch panel's controller itself that is only seeing one input?......questions, questions questions!

Ryan
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2006-09-20 9:17 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

cmonex - 2006-09-18 9:08 AM

2) mmm you'd need platform builder i'd imagine. or an OS that is at least CE3 or higher and then you can use MUIs to change the gui look.

You could replace explorer.exe and make a replacement for that altogether
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-09-20 9:46 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

mscdex - 2006-09-21 3:17 AM

cmonex - 2006-09-18 9:08 AM

You could replace explorer.exe and make a replacement for that altogether

yeah, but that requires a lot more work..
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2006-09-21 9:03 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

My money says that it's a hardware issue: the technology in these things is most commonly a resistive element made up of a sandwich of layers which works by a voltage being applied across one axis (say the x axis) and then the y axis.

When touched, one layer touches the other layer and the resistance of the circuit allows the touchpoint on one axis to be computed. By combining with the other axis result, a single position is given.

So multi touch points really aren't supported by the hardware because multiple touch points would create a single resistance... I'd be intrigued to know how apple get around this - it probably explains it in the patent, but I don't have enough interest or time to read all that guff
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 10