x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Did I kill a component on my Jornada 690? Power drains like crazy!

maja06 Page Icon Posted 2005-02-14 10:32 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi,

I just got myself a used J690 a week ago, and I must say that I've been very happy till this power problem came up a couple of days back.

What happens is: When I power off the H/PC the screen is blank but still backlit, causing the battery life to drain even when not in use. Is this normal? Did I fry something? Is is an unseen setting somewhere I have to tweak? Would appreciate any imput on this thanks.
 Top of the page
dragon
dragon Page Icon Posted 2005-02-14 1:48 PM
#
have you tryeid resetting it? there is a reset button above the tab key u need to press it with the stylus (pen thing)
 Top of the page
maja06 Page Icon Posted 2005-02-14 6:21 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

yep countless times! a couple of times I forgot to hook it up to a wall socket, and it drained the backup battery too - think 3 changes in a week.

i really like the gadget i really do but hooking it up 24/7 isn't exactly my idea of a mobile device....please help.

for anyone who might be interested in what are installed, although i doubt that these are giving me problems:

Standard CE 2.11 suite
Standard HP suite
128-bit encryption patch
Prism 802.11 driver

Edited by maja06 2005-02-14 6:43 PM
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-14 6:46 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Gee ... maybe you wanna try unplugging the wifi card before you sleep at night. Wifi cards are known to keep Jxx HPCs awake at night, because of a system check at 12:00 (or so). If the wifi card is inserted, it will prevent the HPC from suspending ...

hope this helps.

PS: Hello fellow Singaporean!! How's things back in Singapore?
 Top of the page
Loose Canon Page Icon Posted 2005-02-14 10:36 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Another thing you may want to consider is buying a new battery as like all nicad or nimh batteries they do tend to lose their ability to hold a charge. Especially if you do not maintain the battery properly...

I looked them up and they about 30 american dollars, and it never hurts to have a spare... might be a good place to start, rather than junking the whole HPC.
 Top of the page
maja06 Page Icon Posted 2005-02-15 5:01 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

thanks all for the pointers.

nopes Snappy! i don't keep the wifi card plugged in when not in use - the power consumption's a nightmare. the backlighting's driving me crazy - it's heating up the flip-top like the crazy weather here in SG with me these days.

Lose Canon -- correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think it's an issue with the battery not holding a charge. my problem seems to be my HPC not powering off properly - think blank screen + backlighting - which drains my HPC in 7 continuous hours. but thanks for the pointer anyway, i was thinking about a spare anyhow!
 Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-02-15 7:34 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Loose Canon, Where did you find the Battery? I might get a spare as well. If I ever get my 680E that is.
Chris

Edited by ESCAPEMAX 2005-02-15 7:35 AM
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-15 9:19 AM
#
H/PC Elder

PDA internal battery for Jornada
680, 690, 710, 720 and 728 series
Lithium-Ion, Part No. F1262-80001. More Details
7.2 Volts 1150 mAh $38.95
http://www.jornadabattery.com/

*DISCLAIMER*
I do not endorse their product or is affliated to them!
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-02-15 12:16 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

The default battery on a 720 is 1500mAh....do I sense that they did a *repair* job like you,
and soon me, Snappy!?
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-15 2:02 PM
#
H/PC Elder

hehe ... possibly!

and, in case u didnt read the other thread, I soldered on the older 2 batts in parallel ... so now I think the extended batt pack of mine is 2400+1500=3400++mAh!!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-02-15 9:30 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Loose Canon: the batteries in a jornada 690 aren't ni-cad/ni-mh, but li-ion!

ProgramSynth: no repair job, they're probably the original 680/690 batteries.
and i'm planning battery rebuild too! at least to 2200 mAh!
a crazy idea: i just saw an extended battery on ebay = 4500 mAh. that could be 6600 mAh just kidding! but.. now i'm tempted to buy it...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-02-15 9:34 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

maja06: did you try a real, long hard reset? take all the batteries (li-ion and backup batt) out for at least several hours!
i'm afraid it's a hardware fault.. but try this!!
 Top of the page
Brain_Recall
Brain_Recall Page Icon Posted 2005-02-15 10:26 PM
#
maja06, sounds like a failure in the backlight control circuit. It either could be the control circuit in the inverter for the CCFL (cold-cathode fluorescent light, the backlight of LCD displays) or it could be a power control circuit on the mainboard.

Can you still adjust the brightness settings? Is "Touch screen to power on" enabled? Long shot, but try adjusting those.

cmonex, I have one of those extended batteries. They're huge! Triple the size and weight. They definitely make the 680 more ungainly, but, it does give ya a handle.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-02-17 8:29 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hi Brain_Recall!

i'm still thinking about that extended battery. is it worth 106 $ (+shipping+etc)?
the size isn't so bad, is it?.. does it really last for 24 hours?
thanks

Edited by cmonex 2005-02-17 8:30 PM
 Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-02-18 7:44 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Got GOOD NEWS. My 680E has just shipped last night. Should see it sometime next week.
Oh BTW, I got a NEW Battery from HP for $53+ Tax+ Shipping. Total of just under $67. This is not a standard battery. Its a 1950mAh. So its a little bit larger than standard. Which is 1150mAh. Not as big as a F1840A. Which I was told by them is Discontinued and has been for several years. So the ones on Ebay may not have 100% life.
Chris

Edited by ESCAPEMAX 2005-02-18 7:45 AM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.300 - Cached queries : 47 - Executed queries : 33