x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

CE 3.0 Pocket Excel on CE 4.1 (Siemens SL4)?

fbsl4 Page Icon Posted 2006-09-17 5:44 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi,

I have a Siemens SIMpad sl4 running CE 3.0 and have pocket EXCEL (of course).

If I change to CE 4.1 (and lose EXCEL) is it possible to run the a copy of the same EXCEL on the new OS?

-that is - can I save EXCEL apps files from CE3.0 and reload them on CE 4.1 ???

Thanks

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-09-17 6:01 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

you will need to use another excel editor but you will be able to open your old xls files just fine
 Top of the page
fbsl4 Page Icon Posted 2006-09-17 6:33 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

cmonex,

Thanks - but just to be a pain, can you explain why Excel (CE 3.0) cannot be loaded onto 4.1, is it technical, legal or what? Are not apps running on 3.0 supposed to work on 4.1?

Thanks again
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-09-17 7:07 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It's illegal. It would be warezing licensed parts of a Windows CE Platform onto a unlicensed Windows CE Core. There is a lot of resource information that would need to be ported making it a significant challenge. You would also have to get-hold of the PXL files (again illegal). In the face of two great - and superior - third party applications; spreadCE and PlanMaker, you really shouldn't need to.

If you're concerned about the cost of PlanMaker, wait until the morning of the 11th of November.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-09-17 7:53 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

mmmm who cares about that in reality... it would be great to have hpc2000 excel on cenet and maybe even on wm5 though there a decent word app is needed more...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-09-17 8:07 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The owners of this site, the people who let you speak on our behalf.

Hopefully SoftMaker will be porting TM2006 to WM5 (hopefully the CE core also)
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-09-17 8:12 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

i was talking in my own name, hope no misunderstanding there.
sadly textmaker is not the answer (i've tried it) ... well, this is one area (but just one example) where the old hpc's just laugh and beat the most current newest WM5 ....
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-09-17 8:23 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I don't see it as that black and white.

I'm not going to disagree on the H/PC beating WM devices, you don't need to tell me that. TextMaker is a vast improvment over WM5's word, although it isn't WM5 optimised. So I say again that I hope they do optimise it to its max in any out of beta TM2006 release. You wouldn't be adding functionality by porting HPC2000's PWD over. ....
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-09-17 8:39 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2006-09-17 2:23 PM

I don't see it as that black and white.

I'm not going to disagree on the H/PC beating WM devices, you don't need to tell me that. TextMaker is a vast improvment over WM5's word, although it isn't WM5 optimised. So I say again that I hope they do optimise it to its max in any out of beta TM2006 release. You wouldn't be adding functionality by porting HPC2000's PWD over. ....

sadly it is quite black and white for me. wm5 word starts slow, it wants to read all word files in at once, can't read big docs (i.e. opens them very slowly), it wants to open last opened file all the time, it will autosave every doc when i exit, exiting is also slow because of that word file list.. all these annoy me to no end.

so for me hpc2000 pocketword would be a vast improvement&new functionality over it btw textmaker is too slow on everything except maybe the G138... and it has some quirks like special accented char handling and some formats/pics not properly recognized btw i don't know about tm2006 but older versions will not recognize VGA

all in all that's why it's BW for me, i want hpc2000/ce.net pocketword
 Top of the page
fbsl4 Page Icon Posted 2006-09-17 6:50 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

hi,

I loaded 4.1 on my SL4, it worked fine, then loaded SpreadCE, played for a couple of hours. I switched it off for a couple of hours and when i switched it back on the BACKLIGHT would not stay on !!!

I reloaded CE 3.0 but problem is still there. I know the SL4 is working, I can just barely see the screen, just no backlight. On switch on it flickers very briefly.
I have tried all 3 resets - PLEASE HELP - i will repost in tech support.
 Top of the page
TFGBD Page Icon Posted 2006-09-21 1:03 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

HPC Pocket Word (Really, CE .net Wordpad which is basicly the same thing but without spellcheck) should be possible because it can just be copied from Platform Builder. Sadly, that is not the case for Pocket Excel. Even if you used one dumped from an HPC 2000 device's ROM, it would never run because it depends on too many HPC 2000 only DLLS that can't be extracted from ROM without missing relocation information with current tools. The only real way to get it would be to obtain the OEM Adaptation Kit for Handheld PC 2000 from MS....but that isn't going to happen any time soon. SpreadCE is much better anyway and its free(ish). If you really like it you can register, but you don't have to if you don't think its worth it. I think its great the author gives you that choice by not making it expire. That a very fair policy.

Edited by TFGBD 2006-09-21 1:17 AM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-09-29 12:51 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

mmmm cenet wordpad (i.e. hpc2000 pocket word) works now on WM5.. thanks for the tip, TFGBD
my qtek 9000 is vastly more useful now.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.984 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 10